Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Increasing the FIRE Payoff
Old 06-11-2004, 07:50 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just got back from another week of travel -- this time to Fort Worth, TX. GDER will be glad to hear that we stayed downtown in the Worthington hotel . . . no camping for the whole week.

I am enjoying retirement a lot lately.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2004, 05:35 AM   #22

HI salaryguru. The Worthington! Great goggly mogglies man that's
way out of my league. I was only there once, for Sunday brunch. Never saw the like. BTW, glad you
are enjoying your ER. I've had my share of troubles
but never had a time that I was not glad I did it.
Should have gone earlier with more money, but
otherwise, certainly one of the best decisions of my life.

John Galt
Old 06-12-2004, 09:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Welcome back SG... Not familiar with the Worthington, but if John says it's nice, it must be. *I tend to steer clear of Texas, the last time I was there, I had to volunteer for an Iceland assignment to get away!!

BTW: Did you have your old Dodge ram & camper shell in the hotel parking lot -- JUST in case...??
Iceland vs Texas ? ? ? I can't even think of a basis for comparison on that decision. I trust your judgement.

No camper on this trip. We drove the Saturn VUE. I confess that I did feel a bit anxious in the evenings when I would curl up in that bed instead of a sleeping bag.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:32 AM   #24

I favor the Terhorstian view of ideal weather. Hot is no
problem for me. My 4 years in Texas convinced me of that. Truly, I can not recall a single day when I thought it was too much and sometimes it would top 100 degrees every day for a week or more. Loved it!

John Galt
Old 06-13-2004, 09:37 AM   #25

Quote:
I favor the Terhorstian view of ideal weather. Hot is no
problem for me. My 4 years in Texas convinced me of that. Truly, I can not recall a single day when I thought it was too much and sometimes it would top 100 degrees every day for a week or more. Loved it!

John Galt
Sometimes it stays over 100 at night, although that's more rare. If you move there in the winter or spring you can better acclimate to the heat. But you have to limit your midday yard work in the summer. I remember one time coming in from mowing the lawn midday, turning the shower on cold only and not being able to cool down enough for a while. That scared me a bit and I was more careful after that. (In mid summer the "cold" water isn't all that cold, though.)

In August, smaller outdoor swimming pools can get uncomfortably warm.

But as in any climate the trick is to use your head: you don't run to the store in Chicago in January in a t-shirt and jeans.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:57 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Huh. I have one of those blow up collar Intex pools. 10 feet, about deep enough to sit down, recline a little, and just have my head and upper chest out of the water. In other words perfect height to soak and drink beer. I paid $76 for it and its going into its 3rd year. $20 worth of filter cartridges in a year, five minutes a day to skim, and once a week I drop a few more chlorine tabs in the floatie and check the chlorine and ph levels. Best money I ever spent.

Never gets too hot, and we go over 100 here regularly in the summer. In fact I have a little semitransparent solar cover I got for $20 to keep it warm enough.

However, I did get a $30 10x10 canopy that has that 'sun fabric' that only lets about 10-15% of the sunlight through, maybe thats keeping it cool.

Early and late in the year I hook a hose up to the hot water heater, and after i'm done draining sediment I pump it into the pool to warm it up enough for a sunday night...uh...swim...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote