Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-19-2016, 05:06 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting picks thus far.

My 2 cents: South Africa is nice to visit, not to live. Crime is bad and getting worse. It is not limited to Jo-burg. Cape Town is having issues now as well.

Spain is a great thought. We have seriously contemplated a move there. And we read "Bucking the trend" as well! Very nice blog. Admittedly my hesitation on Spain is the threat of ISIS. You may think about Portugal - very inexpensive and beautiful. They have programs for expats.

Italy is beautiful, but you would want to learn the language there. And as mentioned, the Schengen Treaty would limit you to part-time.

I have not been to Croatia but think this would be a nice choice. It is NOT part of the EU so Schengen would not apply.

Costa Rica and Panama are both great expat countries but the climate is not med-like, at least most of it. Think hot and humid.

Personally, I am learning about Chile now. I have spoken with people from Chile and apparently the weather - in specific areas - is similar to Southern Cal. Generally speaking it is safe - much safer than other Central and South American countries.

Go visit any place you are serious about. Don't just spend a week - think more like a month. Even then once you decide - RENT!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2016, 06:43 AM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrinch View Post
The west coast of Mexico has the climate you're looking for, but the threat of violence there might still be unacceptable.

Look around a little bit more in Sonoma County. There are still some reasonable places to be had there, especially if you don't need a villa or McMansion. That's where we plan to retire as empty-nesters later this year.

Where are you looking in SoCo? We definitely don't want anything fancy. I would love a mid-century 1200sqft home to remodel, or an infill lot to build something small. Or plop down a nice small prefab somewhere. We definitely haven't given up on that area; we are just looking to make a wise decision.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Old 01-19-2016, 07:09 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Puerto Rico is interesting. We were just there two weeks ago. Our 8th trip. I am still working and from the east coast it is a quick 3 hour flight. To the point-the economy there is in disarray. They have defaulted on their municipal bonds and the Supreme Court ruled they cannot file for chapter 9 bankruptcy. Sales tax is currently at 11.5% and will increase to 16.5% in April. Real estate prices are off 30-40% from their highs already and will likely fall further when the government raises the real estate tax as the only enforceable means to collect taxes. Much of the economy is already cash because of the high sales tax. In six months to a year it might be a good time to buy. Rental prices should reflect the decrease in price. I would strongly suggest renting for a year before buying anything.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:38 AM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelwanted View Post
Interesting picks thus far.

My 2 cents: South Africa is nice to visit, not to live. Crime is bad and getting worse. It is not limited to Jo-burg. Cape Town is having issues now as well.

Spain is a great thought. We have seriously contemplated a move there. And we read "Bucking the trend" as well! Very nice blog. Admittedly my hesitation on Spain is the threat of ISIS. You may think about Portugal - very inexpensive and beautiful. They have programs for expats.

Italy is beautiful, but you would want to learn the language there. And as mentioned, the Schengen Treaty would limit you to part-time.

I have not been to Croatia but think this would be a nice choice. It is NOT part of the EU so Schengen would not apply.

Costa Rica and Panama are both great expat countries but the climate is not med-like, at least most of it. Think hot and humid.

Personally, I am learning about Chile now. I have spoken with people from Chile and apparently the weather - in specific areas - is similar to Southern Cal. Generally speaking it is safe - much safer than other Central and South American countries.

Go visit any place you are serious about. Don't just spend a week - think more like a month. Even then once you decide - RENT!

Good luck and keep us posted.

I like the way you think. Portugal is high on my list. For an EU country, it has a low cost of living and has some great coastal towns. I've heard good things about Cascais, a suburb of Lisbon. And they have a solid retirement visa program combined with a 10 year embargo on Portugal income tax for retirees to avoid the double taxation problem.

We've been to Spain twice and just adore it. But they've done a horrible job with planning along the Med. Ugly high rise condos up and down the coast. My next trip there will be to check out Bilbao and San SebastiŠn, both of which look beautiful.

We spent a wonderful week in Lucca in Tuscany but you're right; I would have to learn the language to fit in. Of course, you can say that about any country where English isn't the first language.

Chile intrigues me but I've never been. Would like to though.

My cousin and her husband are teachers in a very nice suburb of Joburg. While I have no desire to relocate there, I've heard wonderful things about Cape Town. But Africa is a long way from the states.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Old 01-19-2016, 09:32 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckcalldan View Post
Where are you looking in SoCo? We definitely don't want anything fancy. I would love a mid-century 1200sqft home to remodel, or an infill lot to build something small. Or plop down a nice small prefab somewhere. We definitely haven't given up on that area; we are just looking to make a wise decision.

We own a house west of Santa Rosa in the county and will be moving back there in the summer. 1960 ranch house on half acre in an old vineyard.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2016, 10:02 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We met a South African couple at a mixer last week and they are relocating to the US because of the crime situation there.

Puerto Rico sounds interesting.... close to the east coast... USD... English is prevalent as I recall....
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:06 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
We met a South African couple at a mixer last week and they are relocating to the US because of the crime situation there.
What we hear is that Cape Town is 'relatively' safe, ("Relative to where?" you might ask), while Jozi is a no-go......(although, 33 years ago, DW and I walked to a witch doctor's store there with no hassles whatsoever...and we were the only whites around.....compared to Nairobi a couple years later where we were advised that, after dark, if we wanted to go to (say) the hotel next door, it was considered virtually essential to take a cab.)

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:11 AM   #28

Why would Spain have a greater threat from ISIS than the UK, France or Belgium, which also have large Muslim populations?
Old 01-19-2016, 12:06 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Why would Spain have a greater threat from ISIS than the UK, France or Belgium, which also have large Muslim populations?
less sophisticated military/police force?
Old 01-19-2016, 02:25 PM   #30
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

Puerto Rico sounds interesting.... close to the east coast... USD... English is prevalent as I recall....
I agree that Cape Town is relatively affordable and has some of the most stunning natural beauty I've seen anywhere. And climate can be pleasant if the time of year is selected carefully.

After several return visits and consideration of living there for part of the year, I decided against it. Unfortunately, with each subsequent visit I was the victim of increasing levels of random crimes, theft and vandalism. Whether it is while out and about or being the victim of an unscrupulous network of baggage handlers at the airport. Tourists and possessions are often targets with few options for recourse.

I will always have some fond memories of the views over vast tracts of inland vineyards, mountains, and scenic oceanside drives. And many delicious food and beverage choices. I saw the German and Dutch influences there, as well as the overall hospitality of many Afrikaans-speaking locals. But having to be in constant angst over personal safety, theft and vandalism is an ever-present, increasing concern for locals and tourists alike.

I'm happy to have experienced Cape Town. But I have no driving desire to return. A sort of "diminishing returns" destination, as I've experienced elsewhere, as well.

It won't keep me from exploring other corners of the globe, though. For that elusive "home-away-from-home".

Experiencing a new destination as a relatively well-read "tumbleweed" is still my most preferred approach to travel. But I have learned that a heightened awareness of my surroundings and attention to personal safety concerns is as important as taking my passport.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:08 PM   #31

I remember leading up to the WC there a couple of years ago, they were saying visitors shouldn't leave the hotel grounds, even during the day.

And then on top of it, they complained that some of the matches were in very cold weather. Well in August in the southern hemisphere, it gets cold.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:43 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I didn't say it did. I mentioned Spain due to the climate and COL. I never mentioned UK, France or Belgium to be clear. The OP is interested in Mediterranean climates.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:28 PM   #33

Quote:
I like the way you think. Portugal is high on my list. For an EU country, it has a low cost of living and has some great coastal towns. I've heard good things about Cascais, a suburb of Lisbon. And they have a solid retirement visa program combined with a 10 year embargo on Portugal income tax for retirees to avoid the double taxation problem.
Looks like Portugal is about 60% COL of the US. Puerto Rico is 90% COL of the US. Certainly not worth it if that stat is correct.

Cost of Living Index by Country 2016
Old 01-19-2016, 06:50 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Posting right now from vacation spot in Rincon PR. Good prices, great food, top surfing, mostly young people and a nice mash up of Central America and Florida. Seems very safe and so laid back.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:29 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
New Zealand around Auckland. You can retire there, but bring money
Can you? I looked into moving there a long time ago, and as I recall they had a Visa rule that required visitors to leave for 6 months out of the year. And they were very strict about letting US citizens emigrate there. Of course back then they were very pissed at the US about nuclear policies. Maybe things have changed.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:01 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ventura county. Monterey (not Pebble Beach, just the regular part). Arroyo Grande, San Luis Obispo, Chula Vista, Oceanside, Vista. If you can tolerate a little more heat, Temecula, Valley Center, Fallbrook. It isn't all LA down here.

Think hard about how big a house you need. A smaller house or a condo might be plenty.

That being said, if I could talk the spouse into Europe for at least a few years, I'd be on the next flight out. He's eligible for Italian citizenship -- me too, as spouse -- and he's finally expressed some interest in pursuing that.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:36 PM   #37
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1ben View Post
Puerto Rico is interesting. We were just there two weeks ago. Our 8th trip. I am still working and from the east coast it is a quick 3 hour flight. To the point-the economy there is in disarray. They have defaulted on their municipal bonds and the Supreme Court ruled they cannot file for chapter 9 bankruptcy. Sales tax is currently at 11.5% and will increase to 16.5% in April. Real estate prices are off 30-40% from their highs already and will likely fall further when the government raises the real estate tax as the only enforceable means to collect taxes. Much of the economy is already cash because of the high sales tax. In six months to a year it might be a good time to buy. Rental prices should reflect the decrease in price. I would strongly suggest renting for a year before buying anything.

Puerto Rico has some very favorable tax treatment for those who take up residence there. Do a google search on it.

Croatia specifically the towns of Split and Dubrovnik are fantastic. Hung out there a bit as a student in 1989 as the wall was coming down. No idea post war how it turned out .... .
Old 01-20-2016, 08:29 AM   #38
gone traveling

Quote:
Hi, I'm brand new to E-R. We'll be empty nesters in 2018 and anticipate retiring, downsizing and moving from our home in Virginia sometime after then. I'm originally from Sonoma County and desperately miss my dry CA summers without mosquitos, chiggers or AC. As much as I'd love to move back there, housing prices are crazy to the point where it just doesn't make economic sense until/unless the bubble pops.

Having said that, I would love to compile a list of suitable domestic or intl retirement destinations that have a Mediterranean climate and a low or moderate COL. I would prefer being within 30 miles of the coast so a far inland climate (with hotter summers) wouldn't be my first choice.

Looking forward to your responses!

This thread will give you some of my general thoughts on 'where to retire' duckcalldan. Where to retire to

Regarding your specific situation, the first thing I would do is consider where you CAN try living. I list of 100 places other people like or think you might like, is useless if you can't legally live there.

Nor does 'low or moderate COL' mean anything. It is always best to be specific when possible. What YOU consider low or moderate may not be what I consider low or moderate after all. Saying what kind of monthly budget including rent you want to live on is far better and far more likely to get you responses that meet your needs budget wise.

People love to suggest places THEY like. The more specific criteria you provide, the more you force them to only suggest a place that fits YOUR criteria, not THEIR preferences.

So, if you wrote, what place with a Med climate; where a US citizen can live legally; on a budget of $20k per year including rent, can you suggest? People cannot (or at least shouldn't) suggest places for which they do not know the answer to ALL of your criteria.

Some of the places that have already been suggested to you would fail my personal criteria for example in regard to crime. One rule of thumb I use when looking at countries/places is. do the houses all have bars on the windows? If they do, it's off the list. That pretty much describes S. Africa for example. COL is irrelevant if you feel you need bars on your windows to be safe in my opinion.

As it is, based on what you have written, I do not know where to suggest to you as worth looking at. The only real criteria you have given is a somewhat loose 'Med climate'. That covers a broad band that circles the globe. The more relevant criteria you provide, the more relevant suggestions can be.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:04 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Southern Sicily has great beaches and great weather. But the places I'm thinking of - you'd need to learn Italian.

www.duolingo.com

No bad, and it's free.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:00 PM   #40

I use Duolingo app every day.

Been using for months. Not sure I feel fluent.