Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Inflation in Thailand...
Old 09-04-2005, 11:36 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
Ok...let's see if I can answer some of these questions.
What in the world would an iris scan accomplish? I sure hope we're talking about the eye pigment...

I can only imagine the riots that'd ensue in Honolulu if we tried that trick at the airports.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2005, 11:42 AM   #22

It's the latest craze in biometrics. They performed a trial here at Logan (Boston) sometime back--dunno if it is going to be implemented. Just another form of fingerprinting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
What in the world would an iris scan accomplish?* I sure hope we're talking about the eye pigment...I can only imagine the riots that'd ensue in Honolulu if we tried that trick at the airports.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:45 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tozz
Are you soured on Costa Rica?* Or just itchy?* (if this is too probing, feel free to ignore!)

tozz
Nah, in general I love Costa Rica and do want to go back but I'm not sure it's the all out perfect place for me either and so I'm contemplating more travel this winter. I think my biggest problem with C.R. is that one has to pick between the coastal areas which are beautiful and nature-filled and beachfront (but also hot and muggy and sometimes buggy and little cultural scene) or the city which has a great year-round climate and lots to do (but also crime and noise and general craziness). I guess that's one downside of retiring really early--I still need some action!
Old 09-06-2005, 10:16 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdo
Nah, in general I love Costa Rica and do want to go back but I'm not sure it's the all out perfect place for me either and so I'm contemplating more travel this winter. I think my biggest problem with C.R. is that one has to pick between the coastal areas which are beautiful and nature-filled and beachfront (but also hot and muggy and sometimes buggy and little cultural scene) or the city which has a great year-round climate and lots to do (but also crime and noise and general craziness).* *I guess that's one downside of retiring really early--I still need some action!
How about Panama?, alot of activity in Panama City and San Jose weather in the highland areas.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:10 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

CT,

How do you feel about the security situation in Argentina? I heard that Buenos Aires now has security on the apartment buildings and so on. Outside it seems there are now gated communities going up. Not sure what that says about personal safety for those who are retired and clearly have a bit of money..

Also was surprised when looking at the Rough Guide how much more expensive Argentina seemed in comparison to say Thailand. Costs seemed more in line with Mexico or Brazil, markedly higher but still cheaper than cheap parts of Europe like the Greek Islands.

Regards,
Petey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I have made a few trips to Argentina, the most recent was in 1998. It was expensive as Hell!* - Probably one of the most expensive countries I have ever been in!* - There were a few items that were inexpensive in some areas such as Beef and Local wine, but everthing that was imported was outrageous!

When I was there in 1985, things were cheaper because Argentina had a 2000 percent Inflation rate on their currency and the U.S. Currency held it's value.

I love Argentina and the area bordering Chile is a lot like Montana with a lot of good trout fishing. Their winters are fairly wimpy compared with Minnesota Winters. Even the very tip of Argentina (Tierra Del Fuego) has winters that are tempered by the Oceans.

Ted Turner is currently buying up a lot of the property, like he has done with Montana.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:21 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Isn't Thialand communist? How does that play out in your day to day living.

Anyone know how it compares in cost of living to Mexico in general.

I know they have great hospitols there with low, low costs compared to US. Saw the 60 minutes segment.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:34 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter
Isn't Thialand communist?* How does that play out in your day to day living.*
The King & Prime Minister Thaksin would be pretty amused to hear that.

I think that the Thais are even more zealous about their royals than the British.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:26 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyperson
CT,

How do you feel about the security situation in Argentina? I heard that Buenos Aires now has security on the apartment buildings and so on. Outside it seems there are now gated communities going up. Not sure what that says about personal safety for those who are retired and clearly have a bit of money..

Also was surprised when looking at the Rough Guide how much more expensive Argentina seemed in comparison to say Thailand. Costs seemed more in line with Mexico or Brazil, markedly higher but still cheaper than cheap parts of Europe like the Greek Islands.

Regards,
Petey
I have a friend of mine that regularly guides fisherman in Argentina. He says that the security problems are overblown a bit.

A few years ago, Argentina was in a deep recession, and had some problems with security. Although nothing of the scale that is in Mexico City. I would not be concerned with safety issues any more than any large city in the U.S.

Old 09-07-2005, 03:22 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM
How about Panama?, alot of activity in Panama City and San Jose weather in the highland areas.
Yeah, I really do have to check out Panama. Been on my list forever. And I think the land boom hasn't hit there like Costa Rica yet. I thought it was all hot and muggy though. Good to know there are parts that are not.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:01 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

A cool tool to compare costs in different countries is the Big Mac Index, put out by the Economist magazine:

http://www.oanda.com/products/bigmac/bigmac.shtml

-m
Old 09-07-2005, 07:19 PM   #31

I noticed that Italy does not even have a price for a Big Mac. Italy has such great food that they probably outlawed the Big Mac!
Old 09-08-2005, 02:52 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One issue I have with the big mac or similar indexes is that they ignore the "when in Rome" factor. When you're in Rome (or wherever) you can take advantage of the local (read: cheap) food, entertainment, lodging, etc. Staying at the Marriott or Hilton is going to cost about the same around the world. Finding a nice luxury local hotel may cost half or less than the western chain luxury hotel. Same with McDonalds versus local cuisine. You can get a decent sit-down meal for the same price of a big mac, fries and drink in many of those developing nations. If you're up for the local version of fast food (street food) then you may pay 25-50% of the McD's price.

Just my Yuan10.50 worth (the cost of a big mac in China).
Old 09-09-2005, 06:53 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Good point Justin!
As for Lancelots 96 Baht 640 ml beer Leo that was in a bar obviously. I just saw them on sale in the local supermarket for around 28 Baht each, and at 6.4% that should be a good start on the evening!
Cheers!
Old 09-09-2005, 08:04 AM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben
Good point Justin!
As for Lancelots 96 Baht 640 ml beer Leo that was in a bar obviously. I just saw them on sale in the local supermarket for around 28 Baht each, and at 6.4% that should be a good start on the evening!*
Cheers!

96 Baht?

A large Leo is* 39 baht at 7-11. About USD $0.95.

Ole Lance hates to overpay*

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 09:20 AM   #35

Yeah, I remember paying $7.00 for a 360 ml bottle of Chang beer that was supposed to be Thai in a bar in D.C. It probably would cost $0.25? in Thailand. By that measure, D.C. is 2800% more expensive than Thailand.

Old 09-12-2005, 01:33 AM   #36

check with travelzoocom. remember seeing a special package deal for about $850.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:50 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

If Thai cost of living jumps too far there might be a cheaper option right next door... check out living in Cambodia. Some cities/towns there have pretty large expat communities. I've been to both Siem Reap and Phnom Penh and you can enjoy good dining, the $5/hour foot massages, and find much of interest culturally. They also don't have Thailand's rules about foreign ownership, so you see a lot more of things like a Brit and Aussie pulling beer at the bar they own. From what I've heard it's also very easy to grease the right palm to get a year visa to about the quarterly beat-feet country shuffle.

The ultimate (for me) would be to retire in Hoi An, Vietnam. Lovely town with a river, airport nearby in Danang, good beaches that aren't (yet) overcrowded with Germans in speedos. From what I understand it's a bit of a trick to retire in Vietnam though, you need to look employed or something to rent a flat. I've never really looked into the exact deal with all that.

All this Argentina talk, what about Chile? Good article here: http://www.escapeartist.com/efam/46/Life_in_Chile.html

Old 09-14-2005, 07:43 PM   #38

Quote:
Phew, what a relief.

I thought it was in anticipation of the impending tsunami of Boomer ex-pat ERs looking for Soi Cowboy...
Nords, I'm glad that to see that 20 years in the Navy's good for something!
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:11 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsOfVeal
Nords, I'm glad that to see that 20 years in the Navy's good for something!
Actually my spouse showed me how to get to that "hotspot".

Old 09-14-2005, 08:14 PM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Actually my spouse showed me how to get to that "hotspot".

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote