Join Early Retirement Today

Inflation in Thailand...
Old 08-23-2005, 06:40 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Inflation in Thailand...

Yesterday I felt productive, so I strolled over to my neighborhood mall and bought two dial-up internet prepaid cards. The retail price is Thai Baht 169 per 15 day unlimited usage card,* but the owner would accept THB 150 ($3.66) per card if I purchased two. This time no dice THB 160 ($3.90) each.

On the way home, I was hungry, so I stopped to buy some pork noodles. Normally they are THB 22, but again the owner said "new price", now THB 25 ($0.61)

Both proprietors blamed the higher cost of diesel and gasoline as the primary reason for the price increases.

Currently gasoline is about $2.22 per gallon now; diesel $1.85; up $0.37 and $0.50 respectively.

Some of the other increases I've noticed are:

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Previous* * * * * * * * * * *Current
Regular bus* * * * * * * * * * $0.12* * * * * * * * * * * *$0.17
Bus to beach* * * * * * * * * $2.20* * * * * * * * * * * *$2.68
640ml Leo beer* * * * * * * $0.90* * * * * * * * * * * *$0.95

The price increases seem rather mild, but when put into respective, they are substantional. The average Bangkok Thai general laborer earns about $4.27 per day. Outside of Bangkok many farm hands toil long hours in the hot asian sun for a princely $2.93 per day.

Thailand normally has a current account surplus, but the combined effects of imported oil and lower than expected tourist arrivals (Tsunami) has resulted in a 3% current account deficit.*

My first two years I really didn't notice any inflation, but it's creeping up now...

Lance, your roving reporter*

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Inflation in Thailand...
Old 08-23-2005, 01:40 PM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

As long as they don't raise the price of a massage, your much better off than most of us.

My daughter just got her house re-assed, no tax increase but a value increase of $184,000, so I told her to be prepared in December when the tax bills come out. She thinks because the tax assessment didn't go up her tax bill will not rise. Yikes!

Old 08-23-2005, 05:45 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

This is the danger of ERing in the developing world. Price and currency flucatuations are much more dramatic and sudden although clearly you're insulated from some of it if your income and savings are in hard currency.

I struggle with that. Sure I can live in Costa Rica on $1000US/month now but there's no guarantee that'll still be true in 10 years which makes it hard to plan. Costa Rica has the advantage of a managed currency (which devalues approx 10% per year against the US dollar with the devaluation spread out equally each day of the year so you know exactly what the value of the colon will be in 90 days) vs floating currency which cushions the blow a little.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:49 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Lance, say it aint so!

There goes my cheap beer dream.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:34 AM   #5

Hi Dougdo,

Sure, there are financial risks when living abroad, but they can also be minimized if one is willing to be flexible.

Personally, I own no real property in Thailand and have no plans to acquire any. So, if the Thai baht suddenly strengthens against the USD, I will simply relocate. There is always a bargain "country" somewhere out there...

How do you like Costa Rica? It seems we have roughly the same living expenses: my latest 12 month rolling monthly average was $1,022.

Have you considered Brazil or Argentina?

All the best,

Lance

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdo
This is the danger of ERing in the developing world. Price and currency flucatuations are much more dramatic and sudden although clearly you're insulated from some of it if your income and savings are in hard currency.

I struggle with that. Sure I can live in Costa Rica on $1000US/month now but there's no guarantee that'll still be true in 10 years which makes it hard to plan. Costa Rica has the advantage of a managed currency (which devalues approx 10% per year against the US dollar with the devaluation spread out equally each day of the year so you know exactly what the value of the colon will be in 90 days) vs floating currency which cushions the blow a little.

Old 08-24-2005, 09:43 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey Lance,

There are some recent book and interviews available free streaming on the site linked below which illuminates things:

http://www.netcastdaily.com/fsnewshour.htm

Interesting to see things happening much as predicted re: gas price increases and knock-on effects.

Petey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot
Hi Dougdo,

Sure, there are financial risks when living abroad, but they can also be minimized if one is willing to be flexible.

Personally, I own no real property in Thailand and have no plans to acquire any. So, if the Thai baht suddenly strengthens against the USD, I will simply relocate. There is always a bargain "country" somewhere out there...

How do you like Costa Rica? It seems we have roughly the same living expenses: my latest 12 month rolling monthly average was $1,022.

All the best,

Lance

Old 08-24-2005, 11:43 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Both proprietors blamed the higher cost of diesel and gasoline as the primary reason for the price increases.
Phew, what a relief.

I thought it was in anticipation of the impending tsunami of Boomer ex-pat ERs looking for Soi Cowboy...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 06:05 PM   #8

Soi Cowboy ? , never been there but it sounds like a place where someone could relax with a nice non-lactose drink and chat with friendly fems. Just guessing of course. I'm shocked (Casablanca!).

Inflation on a $1 lunch from the street vendors seems minor compared to the $19.95 lunch prices here in Chicago. Percentage isn't everything. Nor is shrinkage due to cold temps.

Old 08-24-2005, 10:00 PM   #9

[quote
I thought it was in anticipation of the impending tsunami of Boomer ex-pat ERs looking for Soi Cowboy...
Nords, I researched your theory last night.

Cowboy remains calm; more than my (hungover) head*anyway

Old 08-24-2005, 11:42 PM   #10

[quote Inflation on a $1 lunch from the street vendors seems minor compared to the $19.95 lunch prices here in Chicago.* Percentage isn't everything. Nor is shrinkage due to cold temps.I hear you OAP

Old 08-26-2005, 12:44 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I have been thinking about visiting Brazil but I like the idea of owning real property and settling down and getting to know the locals. But you're right, there will always be someplace that's cheap I guess. I only live in Costa Rica part time and am not sure I'm returning this winter....
Old 08-26-2005, 09:45 PM   #12

Guys,
For the folks coming over for the first ever ER convention, immigration is slower than normal. They are now doing an iris scan which slows things down a bit...plus..they asked me for my boarding pass from my last flight. Lucky I had it...most times I throw it out.

I am happy to report the Beer Chang in Chiang Mai is still 35 Baht at my local shop. That's a relief!

Billy
www.RetireEarlyLifestyle.com
Old 08-27-2005, 03:12 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
Guys,
For the folks coming over for the first ever ER convention, immigration is slower than normal. They are now doing an iris scan which slows things down a bit...plus..they asked me for my boarding pass from my last flight. Lucky I had it...most times I throw it out.

I am happy to report the Beer Chang in Chiang Mai is still 35 Baht at my local shop. That's a relief!

Billy

What is and where is the ER convention?
Old 08-27-2005, 03:50 PM   #14

Billy, nice website and those photos capture Asian nicely. Everything under the sun going on but a sense of tranquility in the midst of hustle and bustle.

Need to get my behind in gear.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:28 PM   #15

I'm planning on going mid to late October for 30 days.

Billy, I hope you will still be around.

I haven't bought the tickets yet so if anyone hears about any special flight deals leaving from NYC to BKK, could you PM me.

Thanks.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:56 PM   #16

Ok...let's see if I can answer some of these questions.

Since so many of us are converging on Thailand we figured we should make it offical and have the fisrt ever Early Retirement convention here. Your welcome to join us GTM. Lance, Ben, MJ, us, and scores of others have already signed up...

OldAgeP,
Thanks for the compliments on our site, but watch out for that "gear behind you". It can come back to bite you!

MJ, I "think" EVA Air flys out of NY now. They have a Deluxe Class that is worth every dime for these long flights, but please keep it a secret...

Billy
Old 08-28-2005, 02:35 PM   #17

Are you soured on Costa Rica? Or just itchy? (if this is too probing, feel free to ignore!)

tozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdo
I only live in Costa Rica part time and am not sure I'm returning this winter....
Old 08-30-2005, 09:21 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm thinking hard about visiting either Thailand, Argentina or Brazil or Panama this fall/winter... looking for a place to live part time.. or more. Has anyone been to both Thailand and Argentina? Any comments on potential for frugal retirement living? I was in S. America in 1980, but things have changed quite a bit, like exchange rates. Argentina seems as cheap as Thailand in some respects, but with a lot less beaches.

-m
Old 08-31-2005, 03:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrane
Argentina seems as cheap as Thailand in some respects, but with a lot less beaches.
-m
We don't need no stinkin beeches.

Argentina has a pretty long coast line. I would think a decent portion of it would have nice beaches.

I actually prefer fresh water. I wonder if Argentina has a lot of lakes?
Old 08-31-2005, 08:59 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I think Argentina must have lakes, since they have an area known as the "lake district." It's a large area in the south-central west, bordering on Chile. Supposed to be beautiful, but wouldn't want to be there in (their) winter.

-m