Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Inspirational walk tonight.....
Old 06-29-2006, 07:20 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowGirl
I have mixed feelings about inspirational amuptee stories. I wonder if it doesn't gloss over some of the tragedy of this war. A kid who used to work for my husband recently had most of his lower face blown off, lost a limb, and has severe brain and nerve damage. I do hope his story will turn out to be just as inspirational... but I won't begrudge him if his attitude isn't quite so cheery either.
Agree.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2006, 03:43 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowGirl
I have mixed feelings about inspirational amuptee stories.* I wonder if it doesn't gloss over some of the tragedy of this war.* A kid who used to work for my husband recently had most of his lower face blown off, lost a limb, and has severe brain and nerve damage.* I do hope his story will turn out to be just as inspirational... but I won't begrudge him if his attitude isn't quite so cheery either.
I wouldn't begrudge anyone with a poor attitude or less than cheery outlook either. I would hope I would be like the guy I met, but you never know until you are in that situation.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:36 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG51
You will never believe this but on tonights local news they featured the young man I ran into the other night. Small world. I found a link to the story on their website. Wish they had a picture of him running but didn't find it. See below.

http://www.wtok.com/home/headlines/3246846.html
on your link there's a video of him running. very impressive.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 06:45 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
on your link there's a video of him running. very impressive.
Well how cool is that? I didn't even see the link. Not often you get to share with others the same thing one previously experienced. That is the same track I walk everyday and where I met this man early this week. I think you see why I was impressed.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:38 PM   #25

Dog51

I think it's very cool that you shook his hand. I find his story inspirational. So many people have trouble overcoming their problems, it's nice to see someone who does well with it.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 11:01 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I think he is really blessed with such a great attitude. I don't think everyone comes out of such a tragedy with a good attitude. Some become bitter. I suppose he realizes that he is alive rather than dead as his comrades are, and therefore must feel lucky and grateful - both very powerful positive and healing points of view.

Audrey
Old 07-01-2006, 07:26 AM   #27

Guys like this remind me:* "No whining".* Things just are not that bad for me.* But, I forget, of course, and whine about minor stuff. I am very lucky; most of us are, but.... I/we* forget!*

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:15 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Remember this thread? I was watching ABC's Evening News tonight and they have a segment on Friday's show called the 'Person of the Week'. Well it featured the young man I met almost a year ago at my local college track(Meridian, MS) that had lost a leg in Iraq. He told me then that he was headed to Penn State on an athletic scholarship. He was a very impressive young man. Looks as though he has impressed quite a few people to make ABC's Person of the Week.

I wanted to provide a link to ABC's site but they haven't updated it yet with this segment.

Old 04-27-2007, 06:22 PM   #29

I saw it too... remarkable!

Old 04-27-2007, 06:26 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the reminder of the resiliance of the human spirit. I know I sometimes get lulled into my own little world and problems - but it helps to look around and appreciate this gift of life that we share. We humans have our problems but we are surely blessed if we will just let ourselves see it.

dog
Old 04-27-2007, 06:31 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Any soldier is an inspiration to me, especially one who has seen combat. Cases like this remind me of why they are so special and deserve our support. I try to make it a point to thank them when I see them. The freedoms I have aren't free and I have them because of the men and women in uniform.
missionfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:54 PM   #32

We watched that segment tonight also, I'm very glad they chose him as Person of the Week.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:36 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Very inspirational...he could easily be bitter and consider himself a victim like so many others in our society. His story IS inspirational.