Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Insurance Through AARP?
Old 02-08-2010, 12:57 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Insurance Through AARP?

Well, I'm about to turn the big 5-0 and just received the much-coveted invitation to join AARP.

I'm not all that inclined to spring for the $16, unless there is some value in purchasing health or other insurance through them. Has anyone purchased insurance (or anything else of value) through AARP? I'm not looking for travel incentives, but anything else that might make it worth the $16. Thanks.
ksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Seeing as AARP generally gets kickbacks and commissions through AARP-branded insurance actually underwritten by other insurers, you *might* be able to do better by going direct with the underlying insurer (or even another insurer).

The AARP label on insurance is like added expenses on a mutual fund in some sense.

Then again, I'm not a fan of AARP so take it with a grain of salt.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:02 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Many moons ago when I turned 50, I took advantage of a one-time deal to join the AARP and get a 10 year membership for something like $25. When my ten years was up I didn't renew. I suppose the magazine, which is somewhat interesting, was worth $2.50 a year, but that's about it.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
Well, I'm about to turn the big 5-0 and just received the much-coveted invitation to join AARP.
Don't get too excited. AARP will be mailing you stuff yearly for the next 10 years or more, even if you do not fall for their trick, succumb to a bout of stupidity, do not enroll as a member.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Don't get too excited. AARP will be mailing you stuff yearly for the next 10 years or more, even if you do not fall for their trick, succumb to a bout of stupidity, do not enroll as a member.
I was wondering how persistent they were going to be about this thing. It's all shredder fodder so far, but I have been considering mailing it back to them with the notation: "I'm not interested".
Old 02-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I suppose the magazine, which is somewhat interesting, was worth $2.50 a year, but that's about it.
Our public library has a free magazine exchange table that we regularly sort through for magazines we might want to read but are too cheap to buy.

Last week as I approached the pile I noticed that instead of cover photos of People's & Cosmo's teenyboppers and 20-somethings, there were lots of pictures of icons from my generation! Wow! What great magazine could this be?!?

AARP. Bleagh...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:24 PM   #7

For the last 7 years I have received the best rates for auto/homeowners combined. The magazine sucks btw.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:28 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
...there were lots of pictures of icons from my generation! Wow! What great magazine could this be?!?

AARP. Bleagh...
Made ya look...
Old 02-11-2010, 09:00 PM   #9

I found a low cost HSA health plan that AARP offered from Aenta that fit my needs. It was lower in cost than any plan I could get directly from Aetna. I also used AARP for home owners insurance (The Hartford) but it only lasted one year. Hartford offered a nice initial (teaser) rate then jacked up my rate 20% the next year so I dropped them.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:21 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Yearly? Yesterday I got TWO pieces of junk mail from them, and I am not even a member. Next I expect to find the top dude at AARP lying on my doorstep aiming a long, sharp daggar at his chest, threatening to off himself if I don't join immediately.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:03 AM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

Joined when I turned 50 and started paying attention to what they were all about. found out they are not what they make out to be. they are a for profit group that does not have the 50+ interest at heart. but that is just my opinion. I always shop around and get better deals than they can offer. by the way I dropped the membership after 3 years.
rpow53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:08 PM   #12

Just dropped my membership in AARP due to their support of the now defunct Health Bill.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:20 PM   #13

I'm a member solely for the hotel/motel discounts we get. I have never bought any of their insurance because I have done better on my own. Their politics is annoying, but not bad enough to get me to give up the hotel/motel discounts.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:25 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
I'm a member solely for the hotel/motel discounts we get. I have never bought any of their insurance because I have done better on my own. Their politics is annoying, but not bad enough to get me to give up the hotel/motel discounts.
I take advantage of their hotel and rental car discounts, too, but I don't think anyone has ever asked me to prove membership.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:31 AM   #15

Our health care package by United Health Care and is labeled AARP/Medicare Complete from Secure Horizons. I inquired a couple years ago about the tie to AARP and was told that is is no affiliation. United Health Care pays a fee to AARP in order to use their name on their product. That's the American way isn't it? If you haven't got a big name on which to tie your product, you pay somebody to use their name and boost your image. It's a joke. l like the health care package but I'm paying for United Health Care to use the AARP identity.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
Just dropped my membership in AARP due to their support of the now defunct Health Bill.
Their support of Health Care and Insurance Reform is one of the primary reasons that I keep my AARP membership!
Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
I'm a member solely for the hotel/motel discounts we get.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I take advantage of their hotel and rental car discounts, too, but I don't think anyone has ever asked me to prove membership.
I take advantage of the AARP hotel/motel savings also! It's saving us quite a bit of money on our current trip....averaging at least $20 per night, for a majority of our 19 total nights......over $300 savings!

I've also taken advantage of the rental car discounts over the last couple of years too. Every buck that I can save through discounts, is more money that I have available to blow on fun stuff...and food!!!

As for the insurance offers from AARP....I don't need any of it, so I just ignore it.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:11 PM   #17
Confused about dryer sheets

I have been with USAA Insurance located in San Antonio, TX for 35+ years.
Began with them when I was in the military, ...no longer a requirement.
They insure my houseS, carS, have Savings and Checking accounts, have a JUMBO Mortgage with them at low interest rate. They have followed me to South Korea, Kansas, Texas , California, North Carolina, Connecticut, Georgia.
USAA provides full financial services,...ATM anywhere at no charge, they credit my account for any other banks charges.
They have a Financial Planning team available, $800 per year....I don't use it, but it is there.
kperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:27 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I was a member for a few years, mainly because of motel and hotel discounts. No motel/hotel rep EVER asked to see my AARP membership card. Then I found out that I could get the same rates just by asking for a senior citizen discount.
ScottFromUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:04 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kperkins View Post
I have been with USAA Insurance located in San Antonio, TX for 35+ years.
Began with them when I was in the military, ...no longer a requirement.
Are you sure this is no longer a requirement?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:02 PM   #20
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Are you sure this is no longer a requirement?
call 1 800 531 8111, say not a member, they will ask for SSN, then follow the questions to see what happens.
Since I am a member, this path does not work for me.
kperkins is offline   Reply With Quote