Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Intelligence is irrelevant to a happy old age
Old 07-16-2005, 11:26 AM   #41
Dryer sheet aficionado

I would like to thank everyone from the cosmology post down for a good out-loud laugh!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2005, 04:04 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

nevermind

Old 07-16-2005, 07:37 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
After reading your tag line ("Most people don't act stupid: it's the real thing!") I understand your skepticism.

REW
I can safely say that my tag line does not apply to the majority of the forum posters.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:14 AM   #44

Did it bother anybody that the first sentence in the marshmallow story ended in a question mark?

I wish that I was dumb enough not to notice that.

I wish that I was dumb enough not to notice that the NBC News slogan:

"More Americans watch NBC news than any other news organization in the world."

doesn't make sense.

I'd like to put all my money in a trust, and then become an ignorant dumba$$.

Old 07-17-2005, 10:19 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
I wish that I was dumb enough not to notice that the NBC News slogan:
doesn't make sense.
I think you have to be smart enough to stop watching the news.

Ya know, Al, my MIL spent five years as a proofreader for her state's legislature. You might have a very profitable avocation in your keen error-checking eye...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 12:48 PM   #46

Quote:
I wish that I was dumb enough not to notice that.
But did you notice that for the last couple weeks, we've all been includng one subtle mistake in our posts for you?
Old 07-17-2005, 03:56 PM   #47

Tbone, I may be missing something but what's wrong with,

Regardless whether the statement is true or not, Americans can watch a number international news organization on cable (BBC, China News etc.).

What am I missing?
Old 07-17-2005, 05:28 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I think you have to be smart enough to stop watching the news.
I am completely turned off by "the news" and it is not just my right wing
orientation. Just seems dopey to me. Even Rush Limbaugh (a former icon)
gets switched off regularly. "The masses are asses" pops into my head.
I suppose it is true. Not much comfort there.

JG
Old 07-17-2005, 08:33 PM   #49

What they mean is

"More Americans watch NBC news programs than watch news programs produced by any other news organization."

Their slogan says that more people watch NBC news than watch other news organizations.* People don't generally watch news organizations (that is, they don't sit outside the newsroom building with binoculars), so although their slogan is probably correct (and it's easier to say), it's not what they mean to say.

Or maybe their poorly written slogan means that there are more Americans watching NBC News than other news organizations watching NBC news.* It's just not a logically constructed sentence.* Even if you think the sentence is OK, it's awkward enough that it shouldn't be used as the main tag line for a supposedly intellectual organization.

Now, I don't want to come off as an anal retentive nitpicker here (talk about bad word choice!).* *My point was that I wish I didn't notice things like that.*
Old 07-17-2005, 08:58 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Now, I don't want to come off as an anal retentive nitpicker here (talk about bad word choice!).
Too late!

Quote:
My point was that I wish I didn't notice things like that.
Maritally, you're doing the right thing by sharing it with this board instead of with your spouse. She appreciates that more than we'll ever know.

I guess the next step would be to keep sharing these insights with your kids, which will help turn them into critical thinkers. Of course it's an unexpected bonus that it aggravates the heck out of mine...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 10:24 PM   #51

Ok....
Old 07-17-2005, 11:49 PM   #52

Quote:

What they mean is

"More Americans watch NBC news programs than watch news programs produced by any other news organization."

Their slogan says that more people watch NBC news than watch other news organizations.* People don't generally watch news organizations (that is, they don't sit outside the newsroom building with binoculars), so although their slogan is probably correct (and it's easier to say), it's not what they mean to say.

Or maybe their poorly written slogan means that there are more Americans watching NBC News than other news organizations watching NBC news.* It's just not a logically constructed sentence.* Even if you think the sentence is OK, it's awkward enough that it shouldn't be used as the main tag line for a supposedly intellectual organization.

Now, I don't want to come off as an anal retentive nitpicker here (talk about bad word choice!).* *My point was that I wish I didn't notice things like that.*
zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old 07-18-2005, 01:41 AM   #53
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

What they mean is

TB, I agree with you. These sorts of things annoy me a bit also. How about, "More Americans watch NBC News than any other news programs."

Otherwise, I think what you gain in precision, you lose to clumsiness.

BTW, were you an editor or something similar?

Ha
Old 07-18-2005, 07:56 AM   #54

Quote:
Otherwise, I think what you gain in precision, you lose to clumsiness.
Yes, you're right. Maybe it went like this:

Top Marketing Guy: Here's our new slogan: "More Americans watch NBC news than any other news organization in the world."

Tom Brokaw: Ah, just a second, that isn't right.

Top Marketing Guy: You're fired, Tom. Get Brian Williams in here.

Quote:
BTW, were you an editor or something similar?
I probably got this disease from my advisor in grad school, who was very picky about writing.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:08 AM   #55
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I probably got this disease from my advisor in grad school, who was very picky about writing.
No way. Can't blame your ARedness on anything but your genes.

Go ahead. Try to diagram these sentence fragments.

REW

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 09:35 AM   #56

""We have found that older people have better quality of life the healthier they are and the more financially independent they are, which supports the suggestion that intelligence is not a significant determinate.""

This contradicts studies ive seen in the past on the same thing.* Studies ive read in the past show positive coorelation between intelligence and happiness (at any age).

>I usually score about 140 on IQ tests.* I'd rather be, and like to think that i am, wiser than I am intelligent though.* I dont believe there's any correlation between wisdom and intelligence.

Old 07-18-2005, 10:30 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by azanon
""We have found that older people have better quality of life the healthier they are and the more financially independent they are, which supports the suggestion that intelligence is not a significant determinate.""

This contradicts studies ive seen in the past on the same thing.* Studies ive read in the past show positive coorelation between intelligence and happiness (at any age).

>I usually score about 140 on IQ tests.* I'd rather be, and like to think that i am, wiser than I am intelligent though.* I dont believe there's any correlation between wisdom and intelligence.

I usually say "common sense and intelligence". Same thing.

JG
Old 07-18-2005, 11:40 AM   #58

It's been my personal experience in dealing with elderly retireees, as limited as it may be, that having sufficient wealth to cover all possible expenses (including expensive LTC, nursing home, assisted living facility, etc...) gives them the peace of mind to enjoy the time they have left.* My grandmother, who recently passed away at the age of 95 (almost 96), would never have outlived her money.* She felt comfortable paying whatever was required for her daily existence and medical care, since doing so relieved her of the burden such realities.* She could enjoy playing bridge, and when she couldn't see the cards anymore, listening to books on tape, and when she couldn't hear the books on tape, she simply enjoyed sitting in the sun on a bench in her assisted living facility's fountain/garden park.

Perhaps that's what money buys you in your old age -- peace of mind -- regardless of how intelligent your mind may be.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 11:40 AM   #59

Quote:
I usually say "common sense and intelligence".* Same thing.
No.... its not.* *Intelligence is very quantitative.* *Intelligence is just raw brain processing power.* If you've ever taken an actual IQ test, you realize this.* *

I am thinking, right now, of a friend who was Validictorian in 89 of my former high school (I was Val in 90'* : ) who was super intelligent;* I'm talking 33-34 act composite, went on to Med School (34 MCAT), and is now head of surgery in Fayetteville for a rather large private firm.* This guy....* had/has the common sense of a door knob.* *I remember having to help him with girls cause he couldnt socially adapt to the situation at all, despite being a relatively attractive guy.* *To this day, he still has no horse sense.

I also was roomates in college with a guy who also blew his standardized tests away.* *He flunked out after the first year.* *Intelligence allowed him to ace the standardized tests.* Lack of wisdom ensured he was quick to flunk out.* * In kind, this happened to another friend of mine in Grad school at Baylor.* Clearly, the most intellgent guy in the program at that time, but still ended up failing his exit exam cause he was too lazy to do even a half-ass job on his research.* *I hear, even 7 years later, he's (still) *a bar tender; *a job he took after flunking.* * He's damn intelligent though, and bet he could still easily score over 150 on an IQ test!
Old 07-18-2005, 11:47 AM   #60

Quote:
It's been my personal experience in dealing with elderly retireees, as limited as it may be, that having sufficient wealth to cover all possible expenses (including expensive LTC, nursing home, assisted living facility, etc...) gives them the peace of mind to enjoy the time they have left.
I refuse to believe simpletons who live basic lives and did not have the opportunity (or take advantage of an opportunity) to experience higher education can have an equal quality of experience that I do, given what I know.* *I believe to enjoy anything to its fullest, you have to understand it (as well as it can be understood, or get as close to understanding as possible).* *I include life in that.

But that discussion is subjective.* *This has been quantified in the past with questionairres and coorelation studies where people took IQ tests, and were later asked to rate their happiness level.* *Positive correlation was found.* *

No, i dont recall where i saw this study or who did it.