Intel's new approach to retirement: encore careers

SumDay

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Not sure where to put this, as it covers many areas. Nevertheless, I thought it was interesting:

Last year, the technology giant launched the Intel Encore Career Fellowship - a program offering a paid, one-year, $25,000 stipend to encourage near-retirement employees to put their skills to work in new careers with a social purpose.

Intel's new approach to retirement: encore careers | Reuters

If my Megacorp had had such a program, I'd have jumped at it. I may well pursue an encore career on my own one day, but Intel would have made it easier...

Interesting concept. I suppose that for the right person, as long as there was some amount of choice in the type of work you do (based on your own ideals), it could be an interesting transition and another thing to think about as an alternative to "one more year syndrome".

Interesting - sounds like a way top put a positive spin on downsizing and keeping a severance package towards the low end. Be interesting to see how this works for them, could be a good fit for some people.

-ERD50

Great idea!
Many folks enjoyed their best success in a second (or more) career.

Wow. I agree with ERD50 ! Let's celebrate :)
Interesting - sounds like a way top put a positive spin on downsizing and keeping a severance package towards the low end. Be interesting to see how this works for them, could be a good fit for some people.

-ERD50

I might have stuck around if they had this program when I was there.

Sure wish my company offer that.

I asked for a 2 months unpaid leave because I 'm so burnt out and they wouldn't grant me that.

That's really cool. Good for them.

I have plans to work part-time in retirement at something I enjoy, but every time I study the "encore career" concept, it feels too burdensome, like I'm starting up an entire, full fledged second career. That's too much for me. Also, it seems like most "encore careers" involve shifting from working mostly in "normal" jobs to working in the social services sector, for the public good. I've been working in the social services sector for most of my life, so I don't feel that same impulse.

But that's a nice employee benefit.

but every time I study the "encore career" concept, it feels too burdensome, like I'm starting up an entire, full fledged second career.

Yup. I retired so I could have the freedom to use my time as I wished. A post retirement job would destroy that.

Sounds like a really cool program, but for me personally, I doubt once I've decided to "retire", I'd want to jump into another j*b (even though it's socially responsible, or non-profit), especially for only $25k.

After I've had a break from the 9-to-5 routine, traveled a bit, enjoyed myself, and had some fun...maybe. But transitioning into such a role right after leaving a "rat race" type position...I couldn't do it.

Yep, it is exactly like work, the very thing I retired to get away from. :)

Perhaps being a volunteer moderator on the ER forum or counseling military retirees (a la Nord's blog) would qualify as an encore career and for their nice little stipend? ;)

Perhaps being a volunteer moderator on the ER forum or counseling military retirees (a la Nord's blog) would qualify as an encore career and for their nice little stipend? ;)
I tried a few post-retirement volunteer gigs (forum mod, tax prep for low income filers, HOA board member...) and found the cost/benefit ratio left much to be desired.

SumDay said:
Not sure where to put this, as it covers many areas. Nevertheless, I thought it was interesting:

Intel's new approach to retirement: encore careers | Reuters

Being an Intel shareholder, I would be eternally grateful if some of these people would use this second career opportunity to figure out how to get those Intel chips into more tablets and smartphones before the PC industry implodes on them. :)

Being an Intel shareholder, I would be eternally grateful if some of these people would use this second career opportunity to figure out how to get those Intel chips into more tablets and smartphones before the PC industry implodes on them. :)

LOL, well there are plenty of Intel alumni who are involved in tablets and smartphones. Even several who went to Apple. Anyway Intel is a dividend play not a growth stock.

Back
Top Bottom