Join Early Retirement Today

International Health insurance in Thailand
Old 06-27-2005, 01:25 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

International Health insurance in Thailand

Well I have done some homework on www.bupathailand.com and www.thaihealth.co.th but ended up with the more expensive www.goodhealthworldwide.com. On both thaihealth and the goodhealth homepages you can do instant quotes.

I wanted a higher total coverage than Thaihealth had even on the most expensive plan (about $750/year premium) - so I chose the foundation plan from goodhealth (in/out patient/evacuation Etc.) at $1200/year with a $100 deductable.

My original plan was to just buy the major medical plan (no out-patient) from goodhealth at around $600/year but I have a lot of travelling in the cards and wanted no surprises should I suddenly need lots of outpatient treatment in Europe or elsewhere expensive.

I will still shop around in the future - but for now goodhealth will be tested. Cheers!
preben is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: International Health insurance in Thailand
Old 06-27-2005, 02:48 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Good info Ben, I'll check it out.

Since ERing two years ago, I've been rolling the dice-no coverage...

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 03:43 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Lancelot - you wild puppy!
I actually rolled the dice for the last 3 months too - not by choice but FIREing abroad certainly have a lot of practical things to be done (and suddenly your company is not there to arrange all that); insurances, airplane ticket, address changes to home country, faxes to banks that do not accept changes by email, updating of various forms, visa-arrangements, address change to pension plan, arrange for internet/telephone Etc. in the new home Etc.

I have the brochures Etc. from the above providers - also from Sun Alliance having Ok (high for inpatient but low for out patient) coverage too at resonable prices.

Thaihealth is the best value I found (wealthy-healthy plan) if one is on a budget but would be wise to add some travel insurance when one is in USA or Europe. They sell those too (emergency/accident only) rather cheap.

While healthcare is good and cheap here it would be sad to see ones FI vaporate due to getting sick on a trip back home or a serious accident/illness here. Goodhealth estimates an evacuation from BKK to Singapore (considered the best healthcare in Asia if not the world) with brain surgery or similar and a month in hospital to cost $120k.

Cheers!
Old 06-28-2005, 09:13 AM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

You know what's crazy, I could live in Thailand with insurance for less than my insuranc costs now. Plus I could drink Singha every night.

Can you live in Thailand without being a citizen?
spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 10:32 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Spike; you have seen the light!

Thaivisa.com have a lot of info on visa situation. legalthailand.com are good at handling these things.
If above 50 you can get a retirement visa, but there are multiple other ways to live here legally by getting a one year non-emmigrant visa. A tourist visa is normally 2 months but can be extended to 3 months but then you would would have to leave and come back (same day is possible).

1 year visa can after 3 renewals (normally being a formality) lead you to apply for recidency(not nationality - a bit harder).

There is also an investor visa.

Anyway; there are multiple ways to settle in here.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike
You know what's crazy, I could live in Thailand with insurance for less than my insuranc costs now.* Plus I could drink Singha every night.

Can you live in Thailand without being a citizen?
Old 06-29-2005, 03:24 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi
The american chamber of commerce in Japan had a interesting article about expat insurance. Seems the writer didn't like bupa or goodhealth but liked International Health Insurance danmark and Multinational Underwriters Inc.'s International Citizen Series.

http://www.accj.or.jp/document_libra...1053151424.pdf
mikew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 04:26 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Good article. Their negative points with goodhealth seems minor compared to some of the other insurances they looked at though. The emergency dental within 7 days of accident sounds a bit weird (could be in a coma!) and I will ask them about it.
As for who is the underwriters I have been satisfied enuff by my own findings. Also; it is 1.2k/year only and unless they go bankrupt just when I got really sick (could it be connected? ) it just means that one would find another insurance.
Goodhealth have NO exclusions for "dangerous" sports or aids which most of the others I have checked have. Also the big flexibility with deductables means that one can adjust yearly as ones nest egg (hopefully) grows to a larger and larger % of self insurance.
They seemed to like the goodhealth service level.
Anyway; I will let you know how they are - initial impression is good with fast email replies and online application.
Cheer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew
Hi
The american chamber of commerce in Japan had a interesting article about expat insurance. Seems the writer didn't like bupa or goodhealth but liked International Health Insurance danmark and Multinational Underwriters Inc.'s International Citizen Series.

http://www.accj.or.jp/document_libra...1053151424.pdf

Tags
health insurance