Join Early Retirement Today

International Rental Home or Condo
Old 05-24-2008, 12:14 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

International Rental Home or Condo

When we ER, we intend to travel and spend several months away.

Those of you that have rented in Central America and the Caribbean, how did you locate decent rental deals? Most searches on the internet turn up vacation rentals for a few days or by the week. We might be looking for a 3 month lease and would like a more reasonable rate near water. One of the Islands in the Caribbean, or Mexico, Belize, etc.

Any ideas?
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2008, 12:48 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

If you find something you like on a For Rent By Owner type of website ask if they rent for 3 monts. You never know. FYI, I would make any deposit modest.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

For rentals of 1-3 weeks, in condos & houses, in St Maarten, St Croix, FL, Oahu, Kauai, Maui, we have used ..VRBOŽ is Vacation Rentals by OwnerŽ Vacation Homes Rentals by Owner (Vacation Rentals By Owner) and never had anything other than a satisfactory experience. You almost always deal directly with the property owner, everything has been conducted by email, and we continue to refer folks to VRBO. Rates vs. length of stay are usually listed, so you can pre-screen properties prior to making any contact, and a number are willing to break their rates for longer stays. Having written that, there are a lot of other "rental by owner" sites (see above) that are probably just as good.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:00 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I have used VRBO too. The one problem is that if the owner of the property has a problem they don't have other units to move you to. Example: when our unit was being cleaned prior to our arrival a neighborhood cat came in and sprayed. They tried to clean that but in a warm climate, after about 48 hours, there was a strong odor. No alternative housing was available. After that we booked with multi-unit property owners.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:33 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I will look into VBRO.

Thanks for the insight into potential problems.

Please keep 'em coming... I have more to learn.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:40 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
For long term rentals in PV MX, try
Anuncios Clasificados de Puerto Vallarta - Mano a Mano
You will find cheaper deals than VRBO and your Spanish will improve...

Also try craiglist.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:46 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Thanks KCowan... I was hoping you would comment. From reading your posts... it seems you are one with experience.

How would you suggest we go about it? It seems to me that we would need to see the place before we rent it. Should we show up and stay in a hotel until we locate a place?
Old 05-25-2008, 09:22 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Thanks KCowan... I was hoping you would comment. From reading your posts... it seems you are one with experience.

How would you suggest we go about it? It seems to me that we would need to see the place before we rent it. Should we show up and stay in a hotel until we locate a place?
I would start here:
Puerto Vallarta hotels
and then look at the individual hotel sites for pictures, then check tripadvisor to make sure my impressions are still correct. If you have other questions, I will try to respond.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:02 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Because PV is a city of 350,000 there is both good and bad news. Lots of options. Prices to fit every budget. But research needed to determine what really suits your needs.