Join Early Retirement Today

Internet news comments
Old 11-21-2016, 05:55 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Internet news comments

For the past couple years I have, for reasons unknown to me, fallen into the habit of reading viewer comments at the end of Yahoo or google news articles. They used to provide some insight, humor, a different perspective. But recently they are little more than an angry series of rants by some pretty bitter folks. Too bad, it has ruined what could have been a valuable and fun mode of communication.
Chuck

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2016, 06:30 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Maybe you missed this thread...

Any one read Time Magazine?

... and this: NPR Website To Get Rid Of Comments

It's ugly out there...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:37 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You are better off not reading them. The people most likely to post are looking for an emotional reaction, not an intelligent discussion.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:55 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
You are better off not reading them. The people most likely to post are looking for an emotional reaction, not an intelligent discussion.
+1 I never read comments on articles I read until I saw some people here talking about the comments. I looked once and that was enough.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:19 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
For the past couple years I have, for reasons unknown to me, fallen into the habit of reading viewer comments at the end of Yahoo or google news articles. They used to provide some insight, humor, a different perspective. But recently they are little more than an angry series of rants by some pretty bitter folks. Too bad, it has ruined what could have been a valuable and fun mode of communication.
Chuck

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
I recently read someone's odd analysis of the recent USGS announcement of finding a huge new shale formation in the Permian Basin - the biggest ever (so far).

A commenter used this as an opportunity to explain that this showed that oil had been created much faster than thought and obviously occurred less than 5000 years ago after the great flood. OK.....

Anyway - I have been noticing a lot more machine-gun-like drive-by comments designed to mow other commenters down along with various politicians and other folks.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:35 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Sports related sites are the worst. It's like an 8th grade locker room.

Another are the forums on the IMDB movies site.

You're going to have this anywhere there's little or no moderation.

Considering the size of the site and number of articles, it always amazes me how well the Wikipedia talk sections are moderated.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:51 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Are online comments full of paid lies? | Computerworld
Old 11-22-2016, 06:20 AM   #8
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS53 View Post
Sports related sites are the worst. It's like an 8th grade locker room.
Part of the issue may actually be who actually has access to the discussion. When I was a kid, I was not privy to adult conversations. We kids were shooed away or not even in the same rooms, halls, bars where those conversations were happening. Everyone is more or less equal on the Internet regardless of knowledge or experience. Technology has helped change the times.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:56 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I stopped looking at comments. Once in a while, comments can be interesting, but I saw a lot of the same poster-names on some newspaper sites, always grinding some goofy axe. I assumed they are lonely (for good reason!) and have nobody else to talk to.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:04 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
Excuse me, but your link is naked........

Quote:
Taiwan's Fair Trade Commission this week fined Korean conglomerate Samsung $340,000 for "astroturfing."
Specifically, the Taiwanese FTC said Samsung paid two "marketing firms" more than $100,000 to hire people to "highlight the shortcomings of competing products," engage in the "disinfection of negative news about Samsung products," positively review Samsung products and, (in a bizarre turn of phrase), do "palindromic Samsung product marketing," whatever that means.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:40 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
Companies paying for good reviews or to post bad reviews of competitors products. Paying "press" as well.

There is that issue. We have become increasingly suspicious of online reviews. For some products it's hard to find anything but freebie reviews. At least they tend to self-identify on Amazon.

This is also infecting travel reviews - you have to read carefully as there is no other indication other than the review uses superlatives and no specifics. There are whole companies out there now who specialize in managing the TripAdvisor presence for clients, and TripAdvisor themselves provides different levels of "service" depending on the relationship with the companies reviewed on their site.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:56 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Like everything else it seems, comments and reviews (both positive and negative) could be monetized for the commenter, and so they were. Almost makes me miss the honest unpaid troll in mom's basement.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:06 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I feel the same way about Yelp reviews -- nowadays yelp reviews seem to be a place to air one's grievances, with little or no relevance to the place being reviewed.

It's become one big Festivus celebration.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:13 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Just before retirement my lunch buddies were coming up with 'j*bs' that I could have to keep me busy. Internet Troll was one of my favorites!
Old 11-22-2016, 12:56 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I always read the comments and often these are my favorite part of the article. I don't care for nasty, juvenile responses or consumer complaints that are not relevant. But in response to a political or financial or news items, the responses are often informative and provide the other perspective or additional info that is missing from the article. Sometimes I learn more from reading the comments than from the article. Also retorts may be written in a dry, sarcastic way but very articulate, witty, and well written - I enjoy these even if I don't agree with the viewpoint.
Old 11-22-2016, 03:41 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I often find them to be fun sources of entertainment. :O)
Old 11-22-2016, 07:06 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Where I live, there's a reviewer on Google, who has given just about every restaurant in town one star, with the one sentence comment: "This place is nasty".
Old 11-23-2016, 02:41 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Some of the meanest comments I ever read were on CNN's religion pages. CNN eventually disabled commenting for that section (and others later), citing the surprisingly passionate opinions of their readers as a reason. Their site doesn't have a religion section anymore, at least not that I can see.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:07 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Like everything else it seems, comments and reviews (both positive and negative) could be monetized for the commenter, and so they were. Almost makes me miss the honest unpaid troll in mom's basement.
I have questions. First, why was your Mom keeping a troll in her basement? Second, are you *sure* he was honest? Trolls are notorious for deception. And third, why in the world wouldn't you pay the poor bastard? I only ask because you seem to be almost nostalgic for him.

Old 11-25-2016, 03:08 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

He moved out of the basement, that's what. He now weighs 400 pounds and sits on the bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Almost makes me miss the honest unpaid troll in mom's basement.