iPad app for reading ePub library books

Lisa99

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I was so disappointed when I first got the iPad because there wasn't an app available to check out and read electronic library books.

There is an app now though call BlueFire reader and it's free.

Super easy to use and it works flawlessly.

Yes, you need access to a library and its electronic content.

For example, I live in Las Vegas and have a library card to the Clarke County Library. That library card gives me the ability to download electronic books from the library.

Thanks - I'll see if my local library is in the electronic age. It has a lot of computers for public access, so maybe they're doing other things as well.

For Los Angeles County, the accounts for ebook and regular library stuff are separated, so it depends.

I didn't know you could do that. Ad that to the other 357 reasons I want an iPad. I suppose I should check that my library, Smith, Nevada is "almost" as big as LV :D, has the service.

I was so disappointed when I first got the iPad because there wasn't an app available to check out and read electronic library books.

There is an app now though call BlueFire reader and it's free.

Super easy to use and it works flawlessly.

How do you like the iPad as an e-book reader? I'd like to get one and that's one of the things I plan to use it for. My brother and SIL were in town last weekend and SIL says some people she has talked to find the screen of the Kindle much superior if reading for longer than an hour or two.

The only time I find a Kindle screen to be superior is reading outdoors. I like my iPad as an ereader and have two ereader apps installed already. I'm happy to hear about BlueFire...thanks, Lisa.

I read on my iPod touch. Not often, but in a pinch. It's fine. I have even read outdoors and other than having to find a position where the sun isn't shining directly on the screen and making sure you aren't catching a distracting reflection, it wasn't bad. My wife has a Kindle, but she reads for hours at a time. My attention span usually won't let me read for more than an hour give or take, so any fatigue I might experience isn't a factor.

flyfishnevada said:
I read on my iPod touch. Not often, but in a pinch. It's fine. I have even read outdoors and other than having to find a position where the sun isn't shining directly on the screen and making sure you aren't catching a distracting reflection, it wasn't bad. My wife has a Kindle, but she reads for hours at a time. My attention span usually won't let me read for more than an hour give or take, so any fatigue I might experience isn't a factor.

I enjoy my iPad. So much to do. Reading is a whole different subject. I cannot see the screen outdoors in full sunshine. I use kindle and iBooks and it's just reading. My wife says she misses the feel of holding a book and knowing where she is in the story (visualizing how much of the book is left)

Download the OverDrive App (free). I have been using it with my Multnomah County Library card for "Library 2 Go" books using the Adobe EPUB format. I still have my Kitsap County Library card and they too have offerings via this app.

I find I can read it just fine but agree that e-books don't have the same feel as holding a book.

I have no problem using my iPad outdoors. It's much better than my laptop.

Back
Top Bottom