Join Early Retirement Today

IRS VITA Program
Old 05-05-2017, 01:00 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

IRS VITA Program

Anyone participate as a tax preparer in the IRS' Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program? If so, how was it and what was the preparation needed to become a participant?
PERSonalTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2017, 07:02 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

For the past 5 tax seasons, I volunteered with AARP TaxAide which operates under the IRS/VITA umbrella.

It has been enjoyable and rewarding.

This past season (2016 returns), IRS changed the software provided to VITA groups (including AARP), which led to numerous issues and frustrations. Hopefully those will be corrected by the 2017 tax season.

In our local case, new volunteers usually have a 2 or 3 day training session in November. Then all volunteers (new and returning) have a 3-5 training session in early January. Then you have to pass the test (IRS publication 6744) in order to be certified.

In our case, we are provided with laptops and in some cases printers (or access to a shared printer).
jwkde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:16 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This tax season was my first volunteering as an AARP tax aide. We had one online training session in November, just to introduce the software, then five days in-person training in January.

Like jwkde, I found it to be enjoyable and rewarding.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:55 PM   #4

I have been a Taxaide for over 5 years, and enjoy it thoroughly. The gratitude of the people not having to spend $$ to have their taxes done is great.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:16 PM   #5

Been doing AARP Tax-Aide (TCE.....tax counseling for elderly which focuses,
but not exclusively, on those >50 y.o.) for somewhat more than 10 yrs.
The clients are fun to work with and it is rewarding.

Every blue moon, you get a case that is even more rewarding:
Like the couple who came came and showed me his SSA-1099. When I asked about hers, the reply was that she didn't get SS because she never worked outside the home. They didn't know about the 50% spousal benefit so got a homework assignment to find out. They were excited to get a gift that would continue in future yrs.

Or the person who came in with a 1099-R and that box 2b checked(taxable amount not determined) . I have to confess that after years of asking taxpayers about the box and mostly getting non-helpful answers , I probably didn't always ask that question. On this day, I was glad I did even though the answer was still not helpful. Fortunately the taxpayer had brought in the previous yrs return and it had been prepared by a paid pro. Turns out return was out -of- scope because the IRA had basis. I sent taxpayer home with homework assignment to learn about F8606 but when I checked the next week,
he had already filed via TT. I couldn't believe the lesson had been learned that quickly ..........and it hadn't.........TT & taxpayer had collaborated to make the whole distribution taxable even tho 50% was basis. Got taxpayer to do the homework and file amended return........and that lesson will pay dividends in every future year also.

For the OP.........you should be aware that there are 2 programs....VITA and TCE. I have never worked in VITA but I know that every year since I began,
I have found the most difficult problems in the test to be the basic ones dealing with various family situations/filing status/etc. Older folks in TCE tend not to have such complex family situations.

Some of the training materials.....the 4012 and the CA Duck Book are outstanding.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:40 PM   #6

This was the first year in the last six that I wasn't a VITA volunteer. It became too much like a job for me plus I was traveling and missed the training in the new software. Not 100 percent sure I will return to the program.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:52 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I was a Tax Aid volunteer the first year after retiring. While it was rewarding to be able to help folks with their taxes, the people who ran the local program were worse than my old boss to work for. It was an unpleasant experience, one I had to force myself to stick with until the end of tax season. I didn't return the next year.

I'm sure my issue was due entirely to the personalities of the local program managers.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:16 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I have thought about it, just because getting the training would make me feel like I'm not missing anything tax-wise.

I do the taxes for 3 relatives every year, as they are pretty old, and I have the software so can file the Fed return for free for them.
One of the fellows usually does his on paper first, and then we discuss why my numbers are different sometimes.

In my small sample group, the medical deductions including mileage, prescriptions, and insurance costs were the thing that most didn't consider initially.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 01:26 AM   #9
Administrator

I was a Taxaide volunteer the first year I retired, did the training as described above etc. It was very gratifying, even though my bike was stolen after a few weeks. I had a good group of other volunteers that I worked with, however I'm ashamed to say that even 5 hours a day 3 times a week felt too much like w*rk and the following year I didn't sign up.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:54 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
What a sad commentary on our tax system, that even the IRS supports volunteer's to assist people doing their returns.

When I did social work a long time ago (didn't pay enough) , I would check my clients returns they had done by volunteers, and I found about 30% had an error which was big enough for me to re-do the return for a larger refund.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 01:30 PM   #11

I worked as a VITA volunteer and VITA site supervisor for two years after working for HR Block for five years. It was a very enjoyable and rewarding experience with most of the people being so very grateful for competent and free tax prep.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:54 PM   #12

I have been doing TaxAide since 2008. Was a local coordinator for about 5 years. Very rewarding. The time commitment, especially for training the first couple of years, is not trivial. The people I work with are great. The clientele almost without exception is very grateful.
jebmke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post

Every blue moon, you get a case that is even more rewarding:
This year I had two taxpayers (separate cases) who were over 100.
jebmke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 04:15 PM   #14

For those that have volunteered, is there any requirement beyond a standard understanding of the tax code? That is, could a person who has done their own taxes for most of their life be able to help?

It sounds like an interesting, and fulfilling volunteer opportunity.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
For those that have volunteered, is there any requirement beyond a standard understanding of the tax code? That is, could a person who has done their own taxes for most of their life be able to help?

I enjoy doing it, now that I am retired.
Most of the tax prep is straightforward, where you enter the 1099's and W-2's.
The sticky parts are for Earned Income Credit, ACA, determining filing status other than single or MFJ. Also determining who is a dependent can get sticky. We are issued a series of decision matrices to help.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 04:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post

As others have mentioned, it is definitely interesting and fulfilling. If you have
done your own taxes, that is definitely a plus........but depending on what your own personal situation is, it is unlikely that you will have seen every situation that will come up......usually once per day in the beginning and less often as you accumulate yrs of street smarts. Like Uber drivers, and allocated tips....but it is likely that one of your colleagues will have seen it so ask around,and use the very good resources provided, and google.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:42 PM   #17

Not a formal volunteer. But I do literacy tutoring for immigrants and I have extended the definition to include tax literacy. The last few years I have tried to show them how to do their taxes using FreeFile. I end up doing most of the work but at least they get a rudimentary feel for how the tax process works in the USA. These are straightforward returns but they have generally paid H&R Block $200-$300 in past years because they were so intimidated by the process. Makes me feel good to save them the $$$ and hopefully reduce the intimidation factor.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:33 PM   #18
Confused about dryer sheets

I retired two years ago, and got certified and helped with VITA returns both years since that time. As you mention, before retiring I usually did my own taxes, read JK Lasser, and stayed on top of current tax issues just so I could make good decisions and plan.

Our local VITA program is well run, good site coordinators and I've met some very nice people. Although they offer multi-day training classes, I read the IRS training materials and passed the Advanced Cert online ahead of time. If I had any questions, I planned to go to a class.

IRS Vita Cert info is here
https://www.linklearncertification.com/d/

I know exactly what prior posters meant about it feeling like w%rk... But I worked out a pretty flexible on-call schedule with three site coordinators. They would just txt me if they were short on help, or over loaded. Worked out great for me.
analytic_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:33 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks to everyone for your replies! I just had one other question. How flexible are the programs regarding working hours. I wouldn't want to work more than two times a week; maybe 3 hours a day.
PERSonalTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:22 AM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERSonalTime View Post
Thanks to everyone for your replies! I just had one other question. How flexible are the programs regarding working hours. I wouldn't want to work more than two times a week; maybe 3 hours a day.
The group I worked with were very flexible on hours and days, but reliability on the time promised was important. There were limited numbers of laptops provided so scheduling to maximize resources was vital.