Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Is anyone worried about the state of this country?
Old 04-04-2006, 04:13 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm going to bet you dont worry about breast cancer very much.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2006, 07:47 AM   #102
Full time employment: Posting here.

You gotta wonder when a Member of Home Land Security is on TV, charged with soliciting sex with a 14 year old??

I always thought a Minute Man was someone who double parked in front of a Whore House, but I guess they are keeping the Mexican Border under watch?

If Mexico owned Texas,and the Gringos stole Texas, how can the Mexicans be Illegal

Old 04-05-2006, 04:39 PM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Isn't there someway our fine legislators can include Canadian tourists along with illegals in upcoming legislation?
Old 04-05-2006, 04:55 PM   #104

I'm not sure how to read that youbet?

Are you linking me with illegal Mexican migrants.

I've been across the border hundreds of times and spend money freely in the USA.

I have a passport and Mrs. Zipper does. Never had to use them at Pt. Huron, Detroit or Buffalo.

If you are telling me that my son, daughter-in-law, and 3 grandchildren have to get passports ($500) then I can see a problem. We'll go to Canada's Wonderland instead of Disneyworld.

This is going to be a big screwup. Your Northern border is not the problem.

Ask anyone in Michigan, New York, Minnesota or Washington.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:19 PM   #105

CNBC was discussing today, how to play the Chinese economic phenomena.

A suggestion was to invest in commodities, the fuel for their economic expansion, as well as India's.

Guess what Politically stable, defecit free country is the source for all the commodities that are so much in demand, what will be affect on their currency all the money flowing into that country ?

I would suggest that maybe Arrogance south of the border may need to be tempered in the future, we can buy condos in Spain, Mexico, or Florida?

I have no problem with the Passport Issue, i think any country has legitimate rights to ensure its' security, but you reap what you sow.r
Old 04-05-2006, 06:39 PM   #106
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper

I've been across the border hundreds of times and spend money freely in the USA.

I have a passport and Mrs. Zipper does. Never had to use them at Pt. Huron, Detroit or Buffalo.

If you are telling me that my son, daughter-in-law, and 3 grandchildren have to get passports ($500) then I can see a problem. We'll go to Canada's Wonderland instead of Disneyworld.

This is going to be a big screwup. Your Northern border is not the problem.

Ask anyone in Michigan, New York, Minnesota or Washington.
We travel to Thunder Bay, Ontario fairly frequently. Have to eat at the Hoito once in a while. No passport required, no problems.

Both US citizens and Canadians are going to need a passport soon to go back and forth. The latest from the state department:

The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 requires that by January 1, 2008, travelers to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama, Mexico and Canada have a passport or other secure, accepted document to enter or re-enter the United States. In order to facilitate the implementation of this requirement, the Administration is proposing to complete it in phases following a proposed timeline, which will be published in the Federal Register in the near future.

In the proposed implementation plan, which is subject to a period of initial public comment, the Initiative will be rolled out in phases, providing as much advance notice as possible to the affected public to enable them to meet the terms of the new guidelines. The proposed timeline will be as follows:

December 31, 2006 - Requirement applied to all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.
December 31, 2007 - Requirement extended to all land border crossings as well as air and sea travel.
This is a change from prior travel requirements and will affect all United States citizens entering the United States from countries within the Western Hemisphere who do not currently possess valid passports. This new requirement will also affect certain foreign nationals who currently are not required to present a passport to travel to the United States. Most Canadian citizens, citizens of the British Overseas Territory of Bermuda, and to a lesser degree, Mexican citizens will be affected by the implementation of this requirement.

Waste of resources.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 07:35 PM   #107
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Waste of resources.
Every security system is.

Until you need its protection.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 08:57 PM   #108

I completely support any State enacting any policy it deems fit to protect its' borders, but 911 illustrated, the enemy are already within, the cells are already within, they are just waiting for their next strike.

The guys that boarded the planes had all the right paperwork.

Old 04-05-2006, 10:37 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Are you linking me with illegal Mexican migrant

No, I'm not linking you with illegal Mexican immigrants.* How could you possibly get that out of my post?* People are people.* I never put folks into ethnic boxes.* You did that.

I have a passport too.* Everyone should.

Don't care if your son, DIL and grandkids get passports or not Zipper.* How did you ever think to bring your children and grandchildren into this discussion?* * That's up to them.

However, since you did bring kids and grandkids up, my son and DIL also gave me three wonder grandchildren: Jimmy 5, Catie 3.5 and Michael 4 months.

When I canoe the BWCAW and Quetico Provincial Park, I obtain Remote Border Crossing* permits from Canada, carry my passport and follow the rules.* Why are you so upset about doing the same.* It's simple, quick and automatic.*

Old 04-05-2006, 10:46 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximillion
we can buy condos in Spain, Mexico, or Florida?
Strongly suggest when visiting your condo in Spain or Mexico, you bring your passport. You'll never get across the border or out of the airport without one.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:34 PM   #111
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet

I have a passport too. Everyone should.

I was always amazed, even 40, 30, 20 years ago, that I was able to travel south and merely show either my provincial drivers license or medicare card or both and not bother with a passport. I have always had a valid passport.

Two actually.

Last time I went south was in 1990 and if I am ever required to do so again I will not think it unusual to carry a passport.

Passports are relatively cheap. My UK passport is good for ten years.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:53 AM   #112

youbet, I do, I have two, like Limey, Red and Canadian.

England has ensured many years of bombings by Irish Terrorists, bombs that were aimed at Monuments, Subways, Political gatherings etc.

The Bombers, Irish and their sympathisers had been in England for years, had all the right paperwork, and their primary source of money was from Irish Ex Pats living in the US, primarily in the Boston area.

Why would the US think it is immune from attacks from within, from people already living here, from people who are working and able to send funds overseas

Imagine, you see on CNN, that your Brother and his family were just killed by US troops, what emotion do you think that would stir

Security in the US must be maintained and, IMO, increased, but until the next attack takes place, people will still see it as happening over there.

Security is hampered by the very freedoms that Terrorists want denied, the necessary tools to effective surveillance are forbidden.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:12 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
Isn't there someway our fine legislators can include Canadian tourists along with illegals in upcoming legislation?
Why are you including Canadian tourists with illegals?
Old 04-06-2006, 08:29 AM   #114

About 23% of Americans and 40% of Canadians have passports.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:55 AM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximillion

England has ensured many years of bombings by Irish Terrorists
Indeed they have....... *It's a sad, sad story.*

Quote:
their primary source of money was from Irish Ex Pats living in the US
I've heard that too except rather than Ex Pats, I thought the source was US citizens of Irish heritage or Irish-friendly US citizens of any heritage, legal Irish-friendly*aliens on various visas, illegal Irish-friendly aliens and anti-UK folks of any ethnicity.

Quote:
Why would the US think it is immune from attacks from within
Good question.* Clearly, the current administration thinks there are huge issues regarding the possibility of attacks from within and has taken steps to be able to gather intelligence.* Because the steps taken can be interpreted as threatening privacy rights of citizens, they are very unpopular with many.* It's a tough situation.*

Quote:
Security is hampered by the very freedoms that Terrorists want denied, the necessary tools to effective surveillance are forbidden.
On that point we agree.

But, having said all that, I can't see any issue with showing passports at the Canadian border.* It can't hurt and it might help.*
Old 04-06-2006, 09:09 AM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Duh

The good ole USA has a long and storied history of creating home grown terrorists - not just foreign ones.

But I think our highest unexpected loss is still getting in the car and driving.

Oh well - it's always something. Don't ya just love to worry?

Heh heh heh
Old 04-06-2006, 09:21 AM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Why are you including Canadian tourists with illegals?
Zipper, here in the States we've developed rules that call for no "racial profiling." *I'm not an expert and I'm not a civil rights lawyer. *But, I think that means that we don't focus on folks of any particular ethnicity for investigation. *Therefore, in our culture, which is trying to be ethnic neutral, we would require identification from everyone coming and going, not just from folks who happen to look "Mexican" or "Arab" or "Whatever."

I know you folks have a little different attitude about these sort of things up there, and so be it. *That's why, for example, when I'm zig-zagging back and forth across the USA/Canadian border in remote areas on canoe trips, I'm sure to obey all Canadian rules and carry a Canadian Remote Border Crossing Permit and my USA passport. *

Old 04-06-2006, 09:29 AM   #118

Don't give me that condescending b*llshit.

Canada is THE most racially diverse country on the planet.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:32 AM   #119
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How come Canadians always wear those plaid ear-muff hats ?? Is that a nationalistic thing ?
Old 04-06-2006, 09:37 AM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Don't give me that condescending b*ll****.

Canada is THE most racially diverse country on the planet.
Zipper, why are you so concerned about showing identification when entering the USA?* It just doesn't seem like it should be a big deal.

I certainly am not trying to be condescending.* I just don't know where you're coming from when you ask why I'm grouping Canadians with Mexicans for purposes of requiring identification.* My answer is sincere.* I don't believe in racial profiling and therefore if identification is going to be required, it should be required of ALL.