Join Early Retirement Today

Is anyone worried about the state of this country?
Old 03-20-2006, 09:32 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Is anyone worried about the state of this country?

I am slowly getting demoralized as I hear the state of this great country. What is congress doing raising the borrowing limit? Are they our of their minds? Don't we owe enough to everyone? The talking heads estimate a $30k bill for each American to help bail GW's government out.

The cost of fuel here in NE Florida just topped $2.59 regular. But it is OK for the Oil companies to make record profits. What is wrong with that Math? Inflation Generator maybe?

The dollar is heading for another nose dive, especially if China decides to sell their USA interests (Treasuries)

Is it not about time the government looks after it's own rather that TRYING to look after EVERY OTHER COUNTRY they think needs their help or should be CONVINCED to adopt their policies. They may be GW's policies but they are certainly not mine. Or if you watch Lou Dobbs and Co. Not a lot their viwing audience's either.

How about focussing on making America a better place to be and live? What a Novel Idea.

SWR

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Is anyone worried about the state of this country?
Old 03-20-2006, 10:54 AM   #2

SWR,

Put down the TV remote and slowly back away! If paying attention to the talking heads gets you all riled up about things that you can't do anything about, then don't listen. Back in the 60's my friends and I thought it was our mission to change the world... and we did. I spent my career working for government agencies that I felt were doing something important. Now it is someone else's turn. I figure the rest of my life is too short to worry about that kind of stuff. I want my biggest worry each day to be do I go for a walk or for a swim? Is that a selfish attitude? I guess it is but I feel like I have earned the right to be selfish.

Grumpy

Old 03-20-2006, 11:07 AM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

No problem, lets just print some more money and solve all the problems (sarcasm), but in all seriousness I feel the same way and it seems like the more I learn, the more I just shake my head in frustration and disappointment.*

The one reason I keep coming back to is that it’s human nature:* power will eventually lead to corruption if it’s left uncontrolled.* There’s a very good reason the concept of checks and balances exists (although current administration doesn’t agree)*

Aaron
Old 03-20-2006, 11:10 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

My Degree is in Economics, I understand the numbers, the US Economy is a Train wreck about to happen.

Real estate is not doubling in price, paper money is losing half its' value.

COMMUNIST China holds half your debt, they have you by the b$$( 8, they can pull the rug.

They do not need US Purchasing , they have several billion Asians getting wealthier everyday , they can buy everything they produce.

1971, that was the year that Nixon took the US off the Gold Standard and they have been printing money ever since.

Two years ago i apid $1.45 for a US $, now I pay about $1.17, soon it will be $1.05.

Youth cannot afford to buy into today's Real Estate, that is the other shoe, Retiring Americans with excess debt, minimal savings, watching their largest holding lose its' value.

Larry Kudlow of CNBC is totally off base, Ron Insana, I enjoy his portion .
Old 03-20-2006, 11:15 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Don't try this at home... :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:52 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

C'mon, we need more negativity for the stock market's wall of worry!

Ever notice you can't find good news since Fred Rogers left PBS?

Think about your logic. If guys like GWB, Dick Cheney, & Don Rumsfeld haven't destroyed the country in five years, especially with all their previous experience of other family members administrations, then what's the chance that they'll be able to do it in three more-- especially when everyone's alert to their tricks by now?

I think the current administration is really a rousing patriotic testament to America's ability to withstand anything. I don't care if Pat Paulsen or Dave Barry win the next presidential election, you will want to be fully invested before Inauguration Day.

But I hate to spoil a good funk. Here, read this six-page USN&WR about how America can't keep up anymore.

Then go buy an international index fund.

And maybe you need to enjoy a good martial arts workout tonight. Our dojang offers the first week's tae kwon do lessons for free!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 09:08 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Dave Barry for Prez.* Now that's an idea!* Who's the VP candidate, though?* Clearly, you want someone so bad that the top dog can't be impeached.* Howard Stern? Couldn't be a lot worse than the current situation.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:46 PM   #8

nords, it is Tae Kwon Do, hopefully you can understand your Korean Instructor, who probably bills himself as a Lawyer with a 6'th Degree Belt?
Old 03-20-2006, 09:50 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Robert--Well, we'd get better speeches--from either of them!

We've survived worse. This, too, shall pass.

I'm with Nords--buy an international fund. I am finally about 50/50 US/international, with a pinch in Matthews Asian Growth and Income, with a big focus on China. I am also hedged by being paid in Canadian pesos. I get a raise every week! I was really hoping for Jim Kramer's wild assertion to come true (all his assertions are wild--he is the Howard Stern of financial reporting), that the Canadian dollar would jump 5 cents if the Conservatives were elected. They were. It didn't. Yet.

Gypsy
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:28 PM   #10

Good thing the pistol wasn't loaded . Am I worried? No, It could be A LOT worse. Am I concerned? Maybe, but it has more to do with the direction of the entire country, not just the government. Concerned vs. worry - there is a difference in my book.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:19 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
I am slowly getting demoralized as I hear the state of this great country. What is congress doing raising the borrowing limit? Are they our of their minds? Don't we owe enough to everyone? The talking heads estimate a $30k bill for each American to help bail GW's government out.

SWR
Would you prefer to be French I'm ready to trade with you (would it be possible) !!!
Ah ! we've got fresh new riots to entertain you !
Old 03-21-2006, 10:24 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
SWR,

Put down the TV remote and slowly back away! * If paying attention to the talking heads gets you all riled up about things that you can't do anything about, then don't listen.* Back in the 60's my friends and I thought it was our mission to change the world... and we did.* I spent my career working for government agencies that I felt were doing something important. Now it is someone else's turn.* I figure the rest of my life is too short to worry about that kind of stuff.* I want my biggest worry each day to be do I go for a walk or for a swim?* Is that a selfish attitude?* I guess it is but I feel like I have earned the right to be selfish.

* *Grumpy
You da man. I couldn't agree more. In fact, since I retired I watch very little TV anymore and that includes sports. Disclaimer: NASCAR is not a sport; I just like the speed!

setab
Old 03-21-2006, 10:47 AM   #13

Just because I am not working does not mean I am oblivious to the world. I mainly watch the news (A sihn of getting old). I AM concerned about the value of my nestegg. I think all of us on fixed incomes should be.

SWR
Old 03-21-2006, 03:18 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximillion
nords, it is Tae Kwon Do, hopefully you can understand your Korean Instructor, who probably bills himself as a Lawyer with a 6'th Degree Belt?
Max, I think you need to shed some of your ethnic assumptions.

Our primary instructor is a second-generation Dane with nearly 20 years of tae kwon do and several national titles to his credit; he's currently waiting on his 4th dan. Slender & short, he could pass as a high-school junior.* His fiancée qualified for the national team trials last month but just missed beating Diana Lopez, so she's back to coaching our competition team. (She's a surfer too, with some interesting Hawaiian tattoos.) Our primary instructor and his boss (Hawaii born & raised, a 20-year 4th dan, asst coach to the national team, and who just missed the Olympics as a competitor a decade ago) are spending the weekend with Scott Fujii, a coach at the Olympic Training Center who runs roadshow clinics.* The dojang's competition teams are going to have a half-dozen Oahu kids (& young adults) medal at national tournaments this year. One or two will go to the world competition.

One of my other instructors (and a good friend) is a U.S. Army infantry captain who made the Armed Forces team but is currently attending Advanced Infantry Officer's School enroute his company command (and an all-expense-paid return trip to Afghanistan).* I won't be seeing him again until 2007.* He looks like SGT Rock, only noisier and more aggressive.

Another instructor (and great friend) is a Navy Chief Photographer's Mate who grew up in deepest Alabama but for some reason elected to travel the world fixing submarine periscopes.* He's a third dan and the only guy in the dojang who's older than me, so I'm learning a lot about deceit & cunning, compensating for slower reflexes, the care of older joints, and physical therapy.* When he retires from the Navy in a couple years he's going back to Alabama (near relatives) and opening his dojang between two high schools where he expects to do a lively business with his after-school programs.* BTW he makes Ving Rhames look like a girly man.

I've sparred with a couple of masters from other dojangs.* Short, skinny WASP mongrels with perhaps some Asian ancestry who look like nondescript businessmen.* They much prefer tae kwon do to judo or karate but they also practice other martial arts like aikido & escrima.

Don't get me started on our women instructors.* One looks like Tia Carrere (because she's related to that local girl), another one describes herself as a "Texas redneck", and a third local "girl" stopped competing after she broke her competitor's nose at a national tournament.* But that hasn't stopped her from trying to break my nose.

Ya know, now that I think about it, I can't recall a single Korean in our entire dojang.* Grandmaster Lee is across the island at a very expensive dojang but I hear that he's pulled back from the day-to-day teaching grind.* There are doubtless a bunch of kids in our own dojang with Korean ancestors, however they're all fluent in English & pidgin.* But hey, that's Hawaii.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 05:30 AM   #15

SWR
Yeah, I'm concerned and a bit worried. I too feel that this country is not headed in the right direction. For some reason, the Republican party and GW have gone off course, IMHO, from what used to be their base and "values" and moved us in the wrong direction.

A while back their was a poll basic, "Is this a great/good/fair/poor country". I think its a great country, but we're only "good" now, because we're off track.

But we have the ability to get back on track, its called elections, 2006 and 2008. Let's hope the Democrats can come up with a plan that's good for the country, not just their special interest groups!

Uncledr
Old 03-22-2006, 06:11 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncledrz
SWR
Yeah, I'm concerned and a bit worried. I too feel that this country is not headed in the right direction. For some reason, the Republican party and GW have gone off course, IMHO, from what used to be their base and "values" and moved us in the wrong direction.

A while back their was a poll basic, "Is this a great/good/fair/poor country". I think its a great country, but we're only "good" now, because we're off track.

But we have the ability to get back on track, its called elections, 2006 and 2008. Let's hope the Democrats can come up with a plan that's good for the country, not just their special interest groups!

Uncledr
I think a lot of folk are concerned but do not say much about it. My BIGGEST concern is the Debt and the effect on the cost of living. The economy seems good on paper, so they lead us to believe anyway, but living on a fixed income, when the dollar is poor, AS EVERYTHING IS BASICALLY IMPORTED NOW, it all costs more. Gas at $265 does not help. OK. if you are invested or in bed with the big oils, I suppose. That is an example of what is wrong. How can big oil claim such monumentous profits and then say the price of gas is warranted. Same for Natural Gas and produced energy in general.

I like what Brazil is doing with Ethanol production from sugar cane. Perhaps we should start actually doing something more about alternative fuels such as Ethanol.

SWR
Old 03-22-2006, 06:23 AM   #17

Nords your experiabce is very differant than mine, but it is almost 30 years since I taught Kung Fu.

I lost interest in the sport when a dojo sprung up on every corner, clubs became Belt Factories whose primary purpose was to fight in rigged tournaments to get trophies to attract more members.

TKD has done a relativly good job of maintaining standards but the style held no interest for me.

My club gave no belts, made no profit, was totally membership controlled, made just enough to cover expenses, Instructors taught voluntarily.

Back to the subject at hand.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:19 AM   #18

Quote:
Let's hope the Democrats can come up with a plan that's good for the country, not just their special interest groups!
C-T is going to grill me on this one for sure but don't you think that is one of the problems with modern day politics - regardless of whether it is a Dem or Republican?
Old 03-22-2006, 08:53 AM   #19

What do you mean by" Great Country"?

Do you mean, Politically Strong, Beautiful scenery, a country that provides equal opportunity for all, is socially responsible to all its' citizens, does not discriminate, treats all equal before Law, What??

In some area, no one would argue that the US does possess greatness, but in others, that is highly debateable.

I would argue that a country where the gap between rich and poor is getting wider, where University education is only attainable to certain incomes or certain Athletes, that does not qualify as Great.

I am always a little amazed when I visit to see so many Flags waving, so many bumper Stickers and T Shirts extolling the US, so many people wearing clothing made like a US Flag, no where else in the world do you see that, it is like citizens need constant reassurance.

I like most Americans, you could not ask for more friendly, open people, I just don't agree with much of the politics.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:58 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

The Democrats have no plan and Bush doesn't either - at least for Iraq.
The constant fighting in Washington is absolutely disgusting.
The Democrats disagree with everything, for no good reason, just to be disagreeable. God help us if Hillary becomes President, but Bush's attitude is
moving us in that direction, I'm afraid.
The Democrats need some new leaders. Hillary and Kennedy and Schumer and
others are not good leaders; but, they are good dividers.
I fear that the Republican leadership must move away from Bush, or lose big-time
in the next election. And as far as Iraq goes, I wish I knew the answer. The USA is losing respect, or already lost it, throughout the world. Not to mention, the extremely high cost of fighting this war.