Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #61

Hnicols - your "summer camp" sounds like my kind of retirement!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
I thought you were going for additional education to advance yourself in the workplace?
It's become a personal development project.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I retired 7 years ago today at age 54.
Pretty much no planning beyond realizing I could live on the reduced pension (with good health insurance).
I have described it as a "run screaming into the night" retirement.
Never regretted the retirement.
That is awesome. I'm kind of like that. Kids in high school, big mortgage, car payments. Time to take my pension and I did it. Had enough saved to pay off my cars and that allowed me to live on the pension. Will be easier when the kids have moved on, but until then its a little seat of the pants around here. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hnicols View Post
Yeah, I have the first book but a quarter of the way through decided just to step back for a bit. Have some winter camping I want to do this month with some skiing in between. Planning 30 days on appal trail end of march with my dog. Got horses coming in in May and that will keep me entertained for a few weeks and then my pontoon boat hits the water and I have two weeks camping on an island mid summer. So I guess I have decided to make the first 8 months the summer camp I never had and then figure it out.
No rush, you have plenty of fun stuff to do. I'd only say the Get-A-Life tree exercise is only a few pages in the book so you could do it anytime and it's not necessary to even read the book first. I found the exercise to be fun and enlightening independent of the rest of the book. Best regards...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

A disappointment? No, no, no and NO!
Old 01-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Hmmmm,
Makes me think of the story I heard told about a newcomer to town asking his new neighbor "what people are like around here?" . The neighbor asked back how were folks where you came from? The newcomer replied "Oh, they were rude, short and lacked common courtesy". The neighbor replied " I think you'll find alot of the same around here" ----
Later that day the neighbor met another newcomer to town who asked, curiously, the same question "what people were like around here?" .
You guessed it ... The neighbor asked back how were folks where you came from? The second newcomer replied "Oh, they were kind and respectful, genuine folks". The neighbor replied " I think you'll find alot of the same around here"
So I am thinking, in generalities, that the same may hold true for folks moving into retirement or any other stage of life .... If your day to day life as a worker bee, father (mother), husband (wife), student, etc etc has been dull, arduous, routine, OR exciting, and meaningful .... I think you'll find alot of the same awaits you in your retirement years.....
Old 01-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking Hobbes View Post
I agree with this as well...

At just over 7 months into my FIRE. The biggest question for me has become "Why was I so worried about this?". I reviewed my ER to death... from every angle and through every scenario. (It didn't help that the few people, I confided in, were dissuasive.)

Now, however, the very thought of going back to work is almost physically repulsive to me. On the rare day that I wake up with nothing on the schedule, or with a hint of melancholy... I only need to think about my previous life to I snap out of it.

Then, with a shake of the head and a "whew," I grab the leash and take the dog for a walk.
This is quite possibly the best thing I've read in a long time. This is definite sig material. Okay if I use it?!
Old 01-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #68
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My two cents:
It took me about 2 full years to "come down" after 30 years of 70 hour weeks being in a Dilbert cartoon.

I believe that if you think each day is a 'vacation day', you haven't fully retired mentally. (Vacation is what working people do).

Instead, retirement is just a different way of life. As noted elsewhere on this forum, not every day is exciting or fun or full. But eventually you realize that you really, really don't want to work again and find that your 'time' is a currency in and of itself.

Seven years (as of last week) and counting!
Old 01-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
Disappointment no...relief yes. Once I pulled the plug I had a much more difficult time emotionally with actually making that first withdrawl from what I had worked so hard to save. That really set my mind spinning.

I was wondering about that. It will be a very scary thing to watch the numbers in the 'ol savings account go down, instead of up.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
My two cents:
It took me about 2 full years to "come down" after 30 years of 70 hour weeks being in a Dilbert cartoon.

I believe that if you think each day is a 'vacation day', you haven't fully retired mentally. (Vacation is what working people do).

Instead, retirement is just a different way of life. As noted elsewhere on this forum, not every day is exciting or fun or full. But eventually you realize that you really, really don't want to work again and find that your 'time' is a currency in and of itself.

Seven years (as of last week) and counting!
Well put. After 2+ years, or is it 3 , since going to work each day, I'm just getting into realizing that retirement is "...just a different way of life." I'm only now beginning to learn how to best spend my new "currency."
Old 01-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #71

Our plans today were to drive 6 miles to the YMCA, attend a class at 8:30, spend some time in the gym, socialize with our friends over coffee then drive home for lunch, calling at the store to pick up a few things.

However, it stormed all night and was still storming this morning when we got up. So we had breakfast, walked 50 yds to the exercise room here at the complex, spent an hour exercising on the machines and with free weights, then went into the clubroom for coffee and a game of pool.

I've never been disappointed at all in FIRE, but days like this when we can change our plans for the day instantly because of bad weather makes us even more grateful for the extra control over our lives.