Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-12-2016, 06:50 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

On my Buck it list, I have some travelling planned. It begs the question, what if I am not in any state long enough for residency. For example, a few months in Mexico, Canada, Montana, and several other states that beckon.

Does that evade taxes to all states? State taxes are high enough that that could fund a retirement.
devans0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2016, 08:06 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Devans0, you may want to review an earlier post in this thread by MBSC. They posted a link to a story by a full time RV'er who traveled all over the country. She established FL residency very quickly. The story can be found at ://www.escapees.com/life-on-the-road/domicile-and-mail/getting-started/helpful-articles?view=entry&id=1125

Sent from my SM-G900T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
trapperjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:18 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I doubt the OP would benefit much from making the change.

But I once worked with a guy that I had hired as a consultant. He was generally good to work with, but one day he up and disappeared. A few weeks later he called and explained what had happened: he held a noticeable interest in a company that had been slowing dying, but owned some interesting technology. He had just learned that it was being bought for a considerable sum, so he had moved himself to Nevada (from California) the day he get got wind of the deal. The fact that Nevada had no income tax and California had a substantial one motivated him. He saved a bundle.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:01 PM   #44

All I know is, one tends to get what one pays for, with the happy exception of mutual fund fees. :-)
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:43 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
All I know is, one tends to get what one pays for, with the happy exception of mutual fund fees. :-)
I tend to agree. Figure in quality of schools, parks, infrastructure, it all takes money. However, there are places where you have to wonder what they're doing with the revenue.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:49 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I never considered that moving my brokerage account home address or my Bank home address would be affected in any way by the State I'm leaving.

Can you explain how a State affects me leaving with my $$$$
I didn't mean this literally. I meant that if you are a large taxpayer in a state and suddenly stop paying, you will attract more attention than someone who doesn't pay as much.
45th Birthday is offline   Reply With Quote