Join Early Retirement Today

Is it a silk purse or a sow's ear?
Old 03-30-2005, 05:20 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Is it a silk purse or a sow's ear?

My DW and I covered this tonight. I have been grossing about expenses, investments, etc. Mostly just musing,
but she happens to be here while I do it and I am doing it 24/7. Anyway, she says "maybe I should pick up more
hours?" Wrong! The deal is...........I think we are in excellent shape but I continue to "think it to death". She doesn't
take a long view and thus any little negative
remark hits home. I have explained that my
ruminations mean very little vis-a-vis our long term
financial security, which looks quite good. Anyway, we will never be on the same page re. this. I suspect
many other couples have the same issues to confront.

JG

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Is it a silk purse or a sow's ear?
Old 03-30-2005, 08:10 PM   #2
Confused about dryer sheets

We don't worry too much about current spending. My worries are another big crash. Where is the best place for our stash during: Stagflation, deflation, hyperflation.
Having lots of free time lets you cruise the net reading about the causes of those three conditions. The conditions now are ripe for a change. But then they were five years ago and will probably be five years from now.
Talking about it makes the wife crazy.
So we sit on the sidelines with a lot of cash and a little gold and wait for buying opportunity.

Old 03-31-2005, 03:12 AM   #3

You are right GD-ER, I would probably get the same
result if I said nothing. Those damn female antenna...............always up and looking for trouble

BTW, you should only keep your "stash" behind the
toilet if you are flush with cash. Or, maybe out by
the pool with the duck food

JG
Old 04-02-2005, 07:08 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Blackhills_Bob, I notice a lot of folks here are very conservative about the market, and I agree valuations are steep.

But I have a bookshelf full of "The Coming Currency Collapse" ad inifintum. All of those books, newsletters and countless emails and forums have easily predicted 50 out of the last 3 economic debacles.

Actually, one of the better books I ever read on the subject was "Manias, Panics and Crashes" by Kindleberger.

Having said all of that, I've cost myself a huge amount of money since 1987. My wife's attitude is that everytime the market tanks, we just got another discount on our purchases ... and it is hard to argue.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:58 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yep the stock market is a funny thing...when everything goes on sale, people panic.

My wifes already cut back to 3 days work a week. She may drop another day soon. Just keep enough hours to hold up the health care and keep a few bucks coming in...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 01:42 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I talk to my wife a lot about finances and planning...I don't think she listens much anymore.

I guess she figures I worry enough for the both of us
Old 04-08-2005, 04:29 AM   #7

JG - Same thing here. Like I posted elsewhere, I get that look... you know, the market falls, oil gushes, Greenspan farts, whatever get those antennae up. I get that look that burns 2 holes in my chest and asks the unasked question, "You do know what the &^%$ you're doing, right!?" I point to a couple of our outperforming funds and she goes away. Thats my kryptonite.

BUM :P
Old 04-08-2005, 05:16 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

De Gaul and the Norwegian widow (balanced index plus dividend stocks). I have my prayer book for such occasions - a dog eared 4th ed of Ben Graham's classic with seven one dollar bills as bookmarks in selected places.

The SO doesn't give spit about the market and thinks I'm loony tunes as I quote selected passages to myself.

Heh, heh, heh

P.S. I tryed that with Bogle but his first book kept growing wings and flying off(borrowed, not returned). The third copy was the last straw. Graham is sufficiently cryptic to stay and not get borrowed.

Hopefully will continue to adjust based on age - not the market. And comfort male hormones with a little putz money.