Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Is it time to stop driving yet?
Old 08-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Is it time to stop driving yet?

When Fido looks like this, I'd say yep, it's about time
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dog_driving.jpg (30.0 KB, 20 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

For many, a fate worse than death.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:12 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

And it's time to just sell your car when you're reduced to having the dog drive you:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dog car.jpg (10.6 KB, 286 views)
Old 08-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #4
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
And it's time to just sell your car when you're reduced to having the dog drive you:
Maybe the dog is the ony one who has a current license? ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:28 AM   #5

I'm just gonna get me one of these for the street.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That old lady looks like some of the curmudgeons in our church who are always critical of how "wrong" everyone else does things, but they can never be bothered to step in and volunteer to do it the "right" way...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #7

Whenever this topic comes up, I'm reminded of a great story my mother told.

When she was about 85 years old, she had extremely limited vision in one eye and none in the other. She had given up driving many years prior.

Her helpful neighbor, Leona, was about 80 and still drove her own car, although she shouldn't have. Leona was always happy to drive Mom anywhere because she liked the company.

One day they were driving along and approached a traffic light. Leona had started to become aware that her own vision was deteriorating, so she asked Mom "Is that light red or green?"

Mom's reply was "What light?"

When she told me the story a few days later, I suggested she probably didn't want to ride with Leona any more, and she thought about it for a moment and said "You're right. I won't."

Leona never caught on, since Mom always made polite excuses after that, but about a year later, Leona's son asked to borrow her car one day and never returned it. Shortly thereafter, she went into an assisted living facility.

In Ohio you have to go to the DMV to renew a driver's license every four years, complete with a vision test for everyone. A couple of states require a road test for older drivers, which is probably a very good idea.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:25 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Don't let Toonces drive either...

Old 08-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #9

Ah come on now, with the self-driving car no one should ever have to give up driving.

Google's Self-Driving Car Licensed to Hit Nevada Streets | PCWorld
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #10

When the time comes I want a Toyota Ireal.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

As the old line goes:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my uncle did - not screaming in panic like his passengers."
EllisWyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisWyatt View Post
As the old line goes:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my uncle did - not screaming in panic like his passengers."
Winner
Old 08-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #13

Braumeister, your story is funny and more than a little scary!

My son's ex-wife runs a hair salon in a very small town and a couple of months ago a 90-year old woman ran through the front plate glass window during business hours and stopped in the middle of the hair washing station. Fortunately no one was hurt.

When asked what happened, the lady said, "it wasn't my fault, I put it in reverse." Obviously she had put it in drive and proceeded to step on the gas. We found out later that it was her 4th similar incident, but this one finally got people's attention.

My aunt is also a terror at 84. She's been heard to say "you'll be prying these keys out of my cold dead hands and if you try before that I'll shoot you with my buckshot." Trust me, we believe her!
Old 08-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #14

I laughed. My Fil turns 90 this Dec. Still drives and shops for him and his beautiful bride. He only drives during the day and quite well. Dw and I really appreciate that. We know it won't last. I enjoyed my last ride with him to Home Depot. There is something about driving that expresses freedom.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:02 AM   #15

This lady is still driving at 104 (and has a better safety record than I do): Oldest driver still gets out and about at 104 | Television New Zealand | News, Sport, Weather, TV ONE, TV2 | TVNZ | NATIONAL News
Old 08-07-2012, 03:28 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

The doctors have said to take away the keys from my 83 year old mother. She has some dementia and gets somewhat confused but always makes it home ok. I really don't worry that much so long as she stays in the neighborhood but what if she goes farther? She has always been sweet but absolutely goes ballistic if I try to take the keys or 'borrow' her car to keep her from driving. She then has NO trouble remembering my phone number and will call every 20 minutes to nag me to give her car back or the keys. She even threatens to call the police and report it stolen ! She has also called the dealer to bring new keys and a battery ( when I disconnected it). It is so frustrating I have been tempted to tell her to just go ahead and wreck it!
WestLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:25 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

My sister sent me this joke yesterday:

A SENIOR’S DRIVER'S LICENSE

A man was sitting on a lawn sunning and reading, when he was startled by a fairly late model car crashing through a hedge and coming to rest on his lawn. He helped the elderly driver out and sat her on a lawn chair.

“My goodness” he exclaimed, “you are quite old to be driving!” “Yes” she replied,” I am old enough that I don’t need a license anymore. The last time I went to my doctor he examined me, and asked if I had a drivers license. I told him yes and handed it to him. He took scissors out of a drawer, cut the license into pieces and threw them in the wastebasket.” ”You won’t be needing this anymore,” he said.

"So I thanked him and left.”
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Good grief!

It's about time we lock them up and throw away the keys, I mean car keys, to save society.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:16 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I think I'd rather take my chances with an elderly driver than a young texting driver.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I know a couple of people who had cataract surgeries done (one in his 80's and the other in her mid 70's) and they can see so much better now. (The guy had lense implanted. The woman, I don't know.) She said she didn't know how dirty her house was then. I don't know if their long distant visions are better or not, but I know for sure their reaction time is still the same.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote