Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-12-2007, 05:37 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Utilities at $150 -$200 how can this be with air conditioning ? I'm moving to New Orleans the cost of living seems really cheap .

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2007, 05:38 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Been a long time since we walked barefoot to school over hot gravel - uphill both ways!
After a fine nights sleep spent clinging to the window sills because we couldnt afford floors, and eating a hearty breakfast of rocks and sticks we collected at dawn while the windchill whistled by at 50 below zero.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 05:39 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Utilities at $150 -$200 how can this be with air conditioning ? I'm moving to New Orleans the cost of living seems really cheap .
I'm impressed. My electric bill last month was $459. I cant get it under $130-140 even when we're not using the a/c at all.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:40 PM   #64
Administrator

LOL!!! I am not cheap enough for this bunch! I bow to the LBYM masters of the forum....

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 05:42 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
After a fine nights sleep spent clinging to the window sills because we couldnt afford floors, and eating a hearty breakfast of rocks and sticks we collected at dawn while the windchill whistled by at 50 below zero.
Yeah, well we lived in a shoe box in the middle of the road...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 05:51 PM   #66
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I have the A/C on but it is in the mid 80's inside my house (100+ outside). I am not that sensitive to temperature changes, so I tend to use no heat in the winter and less A/C in the summer than some folks. After all, I do plan to ER, y'know? I live alone, and I am accustomed to some lifelong frugal habits when it comes to energy consumption and other repetitively billed services.

Don't let me mislead you - - New Orleans is not especially cheap, especially since Katrina!!! It can be frightfully expensive, especially compared with how things were before the storm. I don't want to mislead you on that. I am lucky in that my area does not have the collapsed water main problems that some people have, so my water bill has never been above the minimum.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-12-2007, 05:54 PM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
I'm impressed. My electric bill last month was $459. I cant get it under $130-140 even when we're not using the a/c at all.
Gas and electric: $94/month level billing.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:56 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yeah, well we lived in a shoe box in the middle of the road...
SHEER LUXURY!

Especially if it still had the little crumpled bits of paper in it.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:05 PM   #69
Administrator

Quote:
My most recent electric bill was $99.58 for 1016 kWh. My most recent gas bill was $23.05. So with phones, cable TV & cable internet, water, sewage, trash, my monthly bills this month will be $251. Bad off the cuff estimate! But my electric bills in August in New Orleans are much, much higher than they are during the rest of the year, so I probably erred enough on the low side in winter to make up for it.

At least that helps explain where SOME of that money went. I still wonder how I could have spent that much.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-12-2007, 06:35 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

1085 kwh = $95.80 BUT I'm only 1100 SF and it's actually been cooler this year - about $160 and change same period last year. This summer also setting 2-4 degrees higher or 78-80 when I can during the day.

Ballpark hmmm - say $100 electric, 40 gas, 30 water, 19 garbage plus 134 for VOIP phone, cable version of high speed internet, basic cable with light sport package, 47 T-Mobile, 521 house mort/ins/taxes, 138 medical - I'm up to over 1k/mo without the food and the cars and the parties/travel/entertainment.

Heh heh heh - gonna hafta get my el cheapo game book out and get into training.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:15 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
My most recent gas bill was $23.05.
Cool! My gas bill was only nine bucks last month!

Quote:
So with phones, cable TV & cable internet, water, sewage, trash, my monthly bills this month will be $251.
Ruh Roh. My bill for the same stuff is about $425. But I have full directv, cable internet, unlimited long distance phone with all the features, and I live in a very expensive area for water and sewage...
Old 08-12-2007, 10:54 PM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

We used 303 KWHr in July but we produced 300 KWHr of it from the solar array.

Total (minimum) monthly charge for remaining connected to the grid: $16.99.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 10:57 PM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
We used 303 KWHr in July but we produced 300 KWHr of it from the solar array.

Total (minimum) monthly charge for remaining connected to the grid: $16.99.
I go back and forth concerning solar/wind in Ohio.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:22 AM   #74
Administrator

Quote:
Cool! My gas bill was only nine bucks last month!

Ruh Roh. My bill for the same stuff is about $425. But I have full directv, cable internet, unlimited long distance phone with all the features, and I live in a very expensive area for water and sewage...
Well, that would explain why you pay more - - you get more TV channels! And with Gabe in the household, you probably need them more than I do right now. I get about 60 channels for $16 on bare bones basic cable, plus my cable internet which adds $40 for a total cable bill of $56/mo.

cable TV................................................ .......$16/mo
cable internet.......................................... ......$40/mo
water, trash, & sewage....................................$15/mo
land line phone, no long distance........................$22/mo
cell phone, free long distance from the South........$33/mo
gas & electric.......................................... ........$50-$125/mo, seasonal
TOTAL............................................. .............$176-$251/mo

When I am ER'd, I plan to ditch my cell phone. If the market tanks, I might even go back to dial-up internet for a while.

And congratulations on that $9 gas bill!! That is phenomenal.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-13-2007, 09:45 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

that dang Nords!

repeat to self ten times and meditate - I'm not an engineer, I'm retired!

So what if you're in a 'good' part of MO solar map wise and the long direction of the roof faces south.

Time to go fishing.

heh heh heh - And bring the ice tea - maybe 100 degree's in Kansas City today.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:11 AM   #76
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
that dang Nords!

repeat to self ten times and meditate - I'm not an engineer, I'm retired!

So what if you're in a 'good' part of MO solar map wise and the long direction of the roof faces south.

Time to go fishing.

heh heh heh - And bring the ice tea - maybe 100 degree's in Kansas City today.
Uncle Mick, it's easier to just put on your swimsuit or shorts, sit back with that iced tea and turn the thermostat up a tad to maybe 85. Remind yourself that temperature in Hawaii does not impact electric bills since A/C is really not necessary there. Tell yourself that you won't have the start-up costs for solar, either.

We're having record-breaking heat down here, too. Turn the thermostat up to 90 if you're going fishing!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-13-2007, 10:33 AM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Remind yourself that temperature in Hawaii does not impact electric bills since A/C is really not necessary there. Tell yourself that you won't have the start-up costs for solar, either.
UncleMick is pointing out that the money is just a side effect of the hobby!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:42 AM   #78
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
UncleMick is pointing out that the money is just a side effect of the hobby!
Yep! But then as he pointed out, "repeat to self ten times and meditate - I'm not an engineer, I'm retired!" Guess there are limits on what a guy is willing to spend on his hobby.

You know, Heathkit could be making a fortune from ER baby boomer engineers and technicians these days, if they were still easily and cheaply available (the Heathkits, not the engineers and technicians).

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-13-2007, 12:38 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I guess the $3k/mo I am paying for renting our penthouse gets me kicked out of this club! (Only 2800/mo USD.)

But I am sure glad the $2.1 million market value was never deducted from our portfolio...
Old 08-13-2007, 12:50 PM   #80
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
You know, Heathkit could be making a fortune from ER baby boomer engineers and technicians these days, if they were still easily and cheaply available (the Heathkits, not the engineers and technicians).
My Dad used to build the Heathkits as a hobby. He'd spend an hour or 2 each evening working on his projects.....usually built about 1 each year. When he got tired of something, he'd sell it, and buy another new kit. And I always liked tinkering around with stuff like that, so if they were still in business I'd probably drop a few $$ on there wares.