Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Is our routine negative?
Old 02-17-2009, 09:03 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Is our routine negative?

Normal routine: Go to office, work (if not in court maybe 2-3 hours a day), do property maintenance, log on and check financials and the news, work out, dinner at home (watch news), either watch tv or get togther with friends.

Now on holiday (a couple of weeks in the southwest). Routine: Get up and go for walk, breakfast, go for 3-5 hour trail hike (mountains because I like the views) or mountain bike, read and rest, dinner, sleep. Very, very little tv, reading books. Thus no real news, and here in the southwest its sunny every day (a rare occurance in Michigan)

I am much, much happier now, at this moment, than when I'm home (and we have a good life at home with family and friends). Mayber its the sun (no doubt) but as I look at the last two weeks, have to think that its also that we have not been watching the news. I know its out there, but not being hit with it on a constant basis seems to make it less important and actual living more important, and better.

Psychologists, any thoughts?

Uncledrz
uncledrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2009, 09:10 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't know the specifics of your position, but assuming your financial position is secure enough (either through a very secure job or very secure retirement income) that you don't need to worry too much about macroeconomic trends, this is a good way to live.

But for those of us who still need their jobs for a while and are relying almost exclusively on their IRAs and 401Ks for their potential retirement, this is scary as hell and being an ostrich may feel good in the short term but isn't likely to help in the long. Some of the folks in that boat have to be wary and defensive whether they like it or not.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:25 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncledrz View Post
Normal routine: Go to office, work (if not in court maybe 2-3 hours a day), do property maintenance, log on and check financials and the news, work out, dinner at home (watch news), either watch tv or get togther with friends.

Now on holiday (a couple of weeks in the southwest). Routine: Get up and go for walk, breakfast, go for 3-5 hour trail hike (mountains because I like the views) or mountain bike, read and rest, dinner, sleep. Very, very little tv, reading books. Thus no real news, and here in the southwest its sunny every day (a rare occurance in Michigan)

I am much, much happier now, at this moment, than when I'm home (and we have a good life at home with family and friends). Mayber its the sun (no doubt) but as I look at the last two weeks, have to think that its also that we have not been watching the news. I know its out there, but not being hit with it on a constant basis seems to make it less important and actual living more important, and better.

Psychologists, any thoughts?

Uncledrz
First of all, what's normal?

Second, more importantly, are you content?

If so, then good.

If not, then rethink what you would really like to do and do it.

If you don't know what to do, then try stuff.

If you don't want to try, then lay low, see a movie, do nothing.

There is no normal.

Jug
jug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:47 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Is our routine negative?

Mine used to be. Planning, figuring and worrying took up a great deal of my day. The planning and figuring worked out pretty well, but the worrying did not. The older I get, the more I realize I have very little control over what happens around me, much less the world.

I've got one body, one mind and one spirit.

Lemonade anyone?
Old 02-17-2009, 12:24 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I am not a TV watcher, so I find my stress level is always lower because I get my news online. It boils down to reading news when I want to and at the level of intensity that I choose. If I don't like the by-line, I don't click on it. Driving one's own bus allows the choice of the destination.
Re sunshine - I'm FIREd and made it my mission to "enjoy" being cooped up because of winter cold, grey skies and of course, my favorite, the snow.
However, the sun has been shining lately, the birds have migrated back, and the snow is melting. It is still too cold here to be outside. However, I have lettuce and radishes and garden peas on the brain.
Enjoy your holiday, and when you return, try a complete change in how you get your news. Interogate the Internet for news of interest vs. getting the entire bucket dumped on you via TV. You can select any video news reports you wish. The stop play and/or sound mute button on your computer are wonderful tools.
See if that works for you.
PS I took Psychology 100 in college. Does that count?
Old 02-17-2009, 12:42 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
The stop play and/or sound mute button on your computer are wonderful tools.
So is the button that says "Go Back In Time 15 Months." I just wish I could find mine.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:59 PM   #7

We don't watch the news or get the paper for a couple of reasons:

1. If it bleeds, it leads. But, there are lots of wonderful, positive things that happen in the world every day. These things don't make it onto my news feed, so what comes into your house via CNN or CBS is heavily skewed towards drama and angst.

2. Watching TV takes time away from more emotionally satisfying experiences. We find reading, playing games, listening to music and visiting (with ourselves or with friends and neighbors) to be superior ways to spend an evening. Of course, we sometimes watch a sitcom or movie, but it's not a routine thing.

I don't need to follow Nightly Business Report to track my investments because my asset allocation doesn't change with the weather. If I was an active trader, maybe I'd think differently.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:33 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm a bit of a news junkie and even find myself looking for sources if I am out of my routine (tv and computer deprived). But I agree, the news isn't very positive and can be a bit of a downer regarding what one contemplates at times. My goal is to cut back and stay off the couch now that I'm retired.

I admit, it is a GOAL! Afterall, sometimes the couch is a good place for that occasional nap!
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I am not a TV watcher, so I find my stress level is always lower because I get my news online. It boils down to reading news when I want to and at the level of intensity that I choose.
I agree with this completely. I can't stand TV news, and never watch it. I do get the New York Times, which I enjoy, but I skip whatever doesn't interest me. Other TV - DH and I watch only two TV shows regularly. Having the TV on much more than that gets on my nerves pretty quickly.

I do think people are different - go with what makes you happy. It would be an interesting experiment to go back home after this and unplug the TV for a while. I guess there's not much you can do about the sunshine

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:22 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As for good news, you can always get on YouTube and watch some random TV and news from the late '90s, and if that doesn't cheer you up, at least it will give you a good laugh. Here's a typical scene: a reporter breathless goes on about how this time it's really different because of the information superhighway followed by commercials showing a 15 year old buying his parents a helicopter.

To the OP, I envy your new schedule. Wow! Four hours a day of hiking or mountain biking followed by a nap some reading? Sounds like a dream to me.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:59 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

WOW!

Thanks for posting in this thread everyone!

Urchina...I wish everyone was like you!!!!!!!!

I hate the news I thought I was the only one. I find it upsetting also. My problem is I have family members that watch it incessantly and I spend time with them so I'm exposed to it. And I interact with people that are always talking about local stories and then I go and look up what they were telling me about.

I think that a lot of the programs have a big influence on what people's opinions are....I just don't think most people use their own brain!

So much of tv has become so malicious it's sick. In the long run it hurts everyone.

I remember reading ways to reduce stress one time and one of the ways was to go on a "news fast!" I know in my case it's true!

Jim
summer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:07 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
So is the button that says "Go Back In Time 15 Months." I just wish I could find mine.
Me too Bubba.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:36 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Is our routine negative? - Yes, if you don't like what you are doing. In fact, there is no end of how far away from "normal" you can get!

I retired to a tropical island in Indonesia where the weather is perfect. You cannot buy a thermometer because it never moves (no lie). The ocean water is as warm as warm as the air temperature.

I could write a book about how very different life is here - but that is not the point. Some people retire to Nepal. A lot of old Navy guys retire in the Philippines because they remember the pretty girls. Your American passport will take you to all corners of the globe with cultures very different than any place in the United States.

Life in retirement is bounded only by the limits that you place upon yourself. None of us are going to live forever - so you might as well spend the remaining time in a place and style that suits you best.

Well, I got to go, one my young maids ($25/month) is serving breakfast - fruit and locally grown coffee on my terrace (constructed out of bamboo with a grass roof). This afternoon an Australian friend and I are going to ride our motorcycles over to the next village to watch the horse races.
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote