Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

No.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

By all means.

1. Because I am a strategic thinker, which Board members need to be.
2. Because I have experience serving on the Boards of non profit organizations.
3. Because I have met some awesome Boards and understand what good governance can achieve.
4. Because public companies remunerate their Board members (sometimes very well), compensating for the potential liability.

Of course, the chances of my being invited to join the Board of a public company are about as good as pigs flying,
I would add one more reason. The board I would consider pays 100% of family health care costs. With that being my biggest unknown to an ER, it is an added plus. I am already familiar with the company. As a current management employee, I could see making the transition.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:25 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Only if it was a job I enjoyed. Other than a pro golfer or a QC beer taster , I can't imagine what it would be.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Should it come to pass that I would be financially independent one day, there is much work I would be delighted to do. On my terms. I just have to find owners who appreciate good design.

I know they are out there.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loving Life View Post
I loved my work and my job - I just did could not stand the new management fools in the last few years
I experienced something similar with my job. Most aspects of the job were okay, some even enjoyable - but several of the managers were terrible, especially for the last several years that I worked there. So, you might love your job now, and be planning to do it for a long time..........but remember that things can change quickly, and the work environment can go downhill fast as a result.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #46
Dryer sheet aficionado

I love my job, but fulltime work is still the daily grind. When I reach ER status I'm stepping off the treadmill.
However, as others have posted, contract work is a different dynamic. I have a relatively low stress, non MD medical sub-specialty with high demand in the temp space. I have done this type of work in the past and will consider any work that sounds interesting. This type of work includes travel expenses + lodging so not exactly routine. Plus, it will be optional. I love that idea.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Actually there are few I'd do or at least try for 6 months.
Beside the joke ones; bikini contest judge, Playboy photographer

I'd like to do marketing work for Google, Tesla or SpaceX, or Firaxis (the game company that does the Civilization series). Now there is no way I'm motivated enough to actually go actively search out a job. But if somebody works there and wants to hire me, I'll entertain offers
Old 06-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

I love my work as an engineer, just the corp bs I can't stand.

I would go back to w*rk as a banner tow pilot. Low & slow, just watch the fuel consumption, many crashes are from fuel exhaustion.

Defintly look to use the bus on disaster relief, just pack up as much water, food, diapers, coffee etc, I could and drive to assist as I can. Not a j*b but an aspiration.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I would be an editor, if the emphasis could be on quality instead of super-fast production.

Never going to happen, though.

Amethyst
Old 06-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post

I experienced something similar with my job. Most aspects of the job were okay, some even enjoyable - but several of the managers were terrible, especially for the last several years that I worked there. So, you might love your job now, and be planning to do it for a long time..........but remember that things can change quickly, and the work environment can go downhill fast as a result.
You're telling my story, twenty some great years followed by five of insanity. I've seen enough insanity in my life, decided I really didn't need anymore.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #51

You can rename this thread..."Is there any J*b you would stay for-if you won the lottery?"

I think being able to retire and not work IS like winning the lottery. I guess if you had your own business and you really enjoyed it...I could see holding onto the business and nothing much would change. As for a job...nope.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
You can rename this thread..."Is there any J*b you would stay for-if you won the lottery?"

I think being able to retire and not work IS like winning the lottery. I guess if you had your own business and you really enjoyed it...I could see holding onto the business and nothing much would change. As for a job...nope.
I consider the $300k company stock payout I took with me when I left my company in 2008 like winning the lottery. There was no surprise element, of course, as I knew its value when I left. Then again, it was part of my 401k account but I was able to cash it out at low tax rates (NUA) so I did not lose a lot of it. I did not have to buy those company stock shares, as they were a nice perk which began in the late 1990s. Their value exploded 3000% (yes, that's three thousand) in 12 years so all I had to do was stick around, even part-time, and watch it grow.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #53

Nope...never going to work for anyone else in a "job".
I will continue to massage/energy work till I cannot physically do it anymore , but that is not "work" because I enjoy it so much!
Old 06-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #54
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In the late '80s I held the position as the chief of the Quality Assurance Division at a military base. One day, one the QA employees came to me and said he wanted to put in for a transfer to work as QA for another government owned business. The government had just taken possession of the Mustang Ranch in Nevada for failure to pay taxes.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm part of the FI more than RE crew on these boards, so my current job/industry continues to be something that I expect to keep doing in some form well past where I have enough money to "not work", but that's because it is my major creative outlet/interest. I may switch to making games by myself that don't require a team once I don't have to worry about getting paid, designing board games may be a nice change of pace from making video games.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
You're telling my story, twenty some great years followed by five of insanity. I've seen enough insanity in my life, decided I really didn't need anymore.
I was lucky. I had 33 good years, even great early on. Followed by 2 very tiresome years as corporate myopia and warring cliques set in...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Here is another job I'd stick around for (and often wonder how the incumbents got the gig!): Journalist who test-drives and writes about new cars.

Amethyst
Old 06-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #58
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Here is another job I'd stick around for (and often wonder how the incumbents got the gig!): Journalist who test-drives and writes about new cars.

Amethyst
Careful what you ask for. I knew a guy who did that for a big newspaper and was really unhappy. Upper management was always on his case about not speaking ill of the advertisers who paid big bucks for car ads. Said he had to constantly pull his punches and could never say what he really thought about some of the lousy aspects of the cars he tested.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:43 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Players' assistants at the golf club. They work part time, organize players teeing off, and ride around the course in a golf cart encouraging slow coaches like me to keep things moving. Oh, and they get to play golf for free too. Nice gig if you can get it!
Old 06-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Apparently I found another job I'd probably take. I just applied to be the marathon concierge at Westin.

RunWESTIN

You travel to 10 different races in 6 months and advise, guide and help people who pay for VIP treatment before and after the race. Basically like being a tour guide. But it doesn't look like you actually get to run the races. Looks like it could be fun, but I'll be shocked if I even get interviewed. They'll find someone much more photogenic and peppy than me.