Join Early Retirement Today

It's been 2 years
Old 10-22-2008, 08:23 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's been 2 years

Yup, 2 years have gone by very quickly. For those interested I'll update from my last review.

Financially:

When I was working we had most of our portfolio with IG and have since transferred 90% of it to TD PIC. Before the downturn both portfolios were doing well and since we only withdraw approximately $10,000. per year out of our portfolio we aren't too concerned since we feel the market will rebound. Only question is...........when.

On the personal side:

Below is a list of objectives I set for myself last year and will update.
Objectives for the next year:
Complete the IG-TD Waterhouse PIC transfer.Completed in January 08.
Increase the rate of return on our portfolio to a point where there is money left over even after accounting for the rate of inflation.Was doing well until a couple months ago.
Loose 25 pounds and get in better shape. I actually put on another 10 pounds, therefore I'm busted.
Educate myself more on the "world of investing".I joined the Financial Webring Forum and try to educate myself and have a better understanding.
Stop the routine and take a vacation with my family as well as spend more time alone with my DW.Went to the US. and spend both the weekend, then a whole week with my family.
Tackle approximately 90% of my to-do list and stop procrastinating.Only completed 50% and my list keeps growing.
Change my mindset and stop worrying about our financial situation.I don't worry as much as before since I try not to spend money any more then I should.
Stop whining!!!! Well at least I don't complain as much.

Conclusion:

I get along better with my DW and kids then I could have hoped for. Spending more time with them is something I can't put a price on. I know she would like to take better vacations and I'm working on it. I haven't been as concerned about our finances as I was during my first year of retirement and with the markets at an all time low I'm not as worried as I once would have. I still don't spend as I'd like in regards to doing repairs and updating our home/cars/vacations since our portfolio hasn't grown as much as I had hoped. DW has been wanting to replace the windows/furnace etc. as well as take the same type vacations as when I was working, since our home is 25 year old home and although I know they need to be done.... I don't see the money coming in as I had hoped therefore I procrastinate. Yes I'm still concerned but at least I don't show it as much.

It's hard to teach an old dog new trick.

My Dream still isn't quite what I imagined, but I'm working on it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2008, 08:59 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

what's the FWF forum?

Old 10-22-2008, 09:03 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

FWF - Financial Webring Forum, which I understand is more tailered to Canada. The US. version is Bogleheads

Financial Webring Forum :: Index

Bogleheads :: Index
Old 10-22-2008, 07:58 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I can really identify with the procrastination . I keep writing lists and sometimes I even get to cross an item off .
Old 10-22-2008, 08:06 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I can really identify with the procrastination . I keep writing lists and sometimes I even get to cross an item off .
I actually vacuumed the carpet yesterday.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:02 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
i use my email calandar appt tool to remind myself of things i want or need to do. this is a carryover from a very hectic and short deadline driven career.
but now, i set them to chime every 2 weeks. i can either a) dismiss them til a later date (heeheehee), b) snooze them for a short time, or
c) delete them if they have lost their appeal.
option c is by far my fave.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:05 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

i like your list a lot. sounds like i need to do a similar one for checkpointing every year. i'll put a calendar reminder in and then pick option b, snooze it.