Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
It's Just Not Fair (Coastal CA Weather)
Old 08-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Midpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 11,971
It's Just Not Fair (Coastal CA Weather)

I keep looking but there's just no place I can find, that we can afford, that provides anything like the moderate climate of coastal CA. The average temperature for the year is about the same, but the difference between San Francisco and St Louis couldn't be much starker. I read a joke somewhere years ago that the St Louis Chamber of Commerce could leigitmately claim the same average temperature as San Francisco.

I fully understand why, but it's still not fair...
Attached Images
File Type: gif Weather.gif (152.6 KB, 59 views)
__________________

__________________
No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I keep looking but there's just no place I can find, that we can afford, that provides anything like the moderate climate of coastal CA. The average temperature for the year is about the same, but the difference between San Francisco and St Louis couldn't be much starker. I read a joke somewhere years ago that the St Louis Chamber of Commerce could leigitmately claim the same average temperature as San Francisco.

I fully understand why, but it's still not fair...
Of course it is fair. Move there, and pay what it costs, or stay where you are and fry in the summer, freeze in the winter.

Really attractive things that many people want are always expensive. I believe that the differential between the very attractive and the so-so will increase until some pox wipes us out. Anyone who can afford to live where they would really like to should move asap, or just realize that life is unfair, so what. No place costs $0/sqft, so just decrease space until you can afford San Francisco or the East Bay or whatever suits your fancy.

Ha
__________________

__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.
NYEXPAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Miraflores,Peru
Posts: 874
The central pacific coast of Peru (Lima) is about the same as San Diego, low of 60 in the winter and high about 82 in the summer. Also no rain and Multi-Million dollar views for 1/3 the price! Luckily, When I bought prices were 1/3-1/4 of what they are now.
__________________
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:12 PM   #4
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,860
I have never been as cold in my life, as I was during my six years in SF. The cold there is wet and bone-chilling, and it was never warm enough in the summer to feel really warm. Fog looks great, but it is so, so cold clear to the bone.

There, now do you feel better? . I am telling the truth!
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Chuckanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West of the Mississippi
Posts: 6,328
Keep in mind that San Francisco dammed Yosemite National Park for their water supply.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O%27Shaughnessy_Dam

Do you want to live in a city that would do such a thing?
__________________
The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I have never been as cold in my life, as I was during my six years in SF. The cold there is wet and bone-chilling, and it was never warm enough in the summer to feel really warm. Fog looks great, but it is so, so cold clear to the bone.

There, now do you feel better? . I am telling the truth!
You must have lived in the western part of the city. The bayside is much nicer.
__________________
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:37 PM   #7
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
You must have lived in the western part of the city. The bayside is much nicer.
Never lived on the bayside in SF, you're right. . Lived near the eastern end of GG park and spent time near the ocean.

I did live in Berkeley, on the other side of the bay, but was cold there too. Maybe even colder. Brrrrrrrr
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:04 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Lakewood90712's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,316
Looking for retirement location ? Plenty of less populated places all up and down the coast at low prices, along with no good jobs or business op. (San Louis Obispo , Oxnard, Carpentiria, San Simmion)

If you need to keep working at present , stay put for now and move when retired. The employment market vs. home prices in the bay area and los angeles is still a bad deal, even with depressed prices . Cost of living in metro areas is high.
__________________
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:15 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets
2035's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 214
Monterey has some affordable places.
__________________
2035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:18 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets
2035's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 214
Seattle is much colder than SF.
__________________
2035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #11
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9
I grew up in the east bay. You need to look at not only the physical climate, but the social climate and cost of living. It wasn't that bad growing up in the 70's and 80's, but even with a decent salary the cost of living the past couple decades is just crazy.

Moved to AK 15 years ago and honestly haven't wanted to move back once. I haven't sat down and run the numbers but even with a very good salary, if you doulbed my income I'd likely take a hit to my std of living if I moved back to the bay area. I will admit I am looking at a tropical location to spend Nov-March when I retire, or semi-retire.
__________________
paul h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #12
Moderator
rodi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 8,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Looking for retirement location ? Plenty of less populated places all up and down the coast at low prices, along with no good jobs or business op. (San Louis Obispo , Oxnard, Carpentiria, San Simmion)

If you need to keep working at present , stay put for now and move when retired. The employment market vs. home prices in the bay area and los angeles is still a bad deal, even with depressed prices . Cost of living in metro areas is high.
This.

But I love living near the coast in CA. (San Diego.) Except for May-Gray and June Gloom.
__________________
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
photoguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,301
How close do you want to be to the coast? and what do you see as affordable?

There's definitely pockets of less expensive housing but pretty much everybody in CA needs to compromise on something when it comes to home buying (unless you win the IPO jackpot).
__________________
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #14
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul h View Post
I grew up in the east bay. You need to look at not only the physical climate, but the social climate and cost of living. It wasn't that bad growing up in the 70's and 80's, but even with a decent salary the cost of living the past couple decades is just crazy.

Moved to AK 15 years ago and honestly haven't wanted to move back once. I haven't sat down and run the numbers but even with a very good salary, if you doulbed my income I'd likely take a hit to my std of living if I moved back to the bay area. I will admit I am looking at a tropical location to spend Nov-March when I retire, or semi-retire.
hi Paul H, welcome to the forum. Why not stop by here and tell us a little about yourself?
__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
MasterBlaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I have never been as cold in my life, as I was during my six years in SF. The cold there is wet and bone-chilling, and it was never warm enough in the summer to feel really warm. Fog looks great, but it is so, so cold clear to the bone.

There, now do you feel better? . I am telling the truth!
I'd have to agree with you (and Mark Twain). As someone from SoCal it's just way too cold there in the summer. Very weird weather.

Quote:
"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco" <Mark Twain>
__________________
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:45 PM   #16
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9
Fog and wind makes for the nastiest bone chilling cold. I've spent a fair bit of time in the Arctic and while -42 ambient is bitter cold, and -30 with the windchill dropping it to -90 is just plain nasty, the absolute worst bonechilling cold is pre-winter, imagine 33-35F with drizzle and wind.
__________________
paul h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul h View Post
Fog and wind makes for the nastiest bone chilling cold. I've spent a fair bit of time in the Arctic and while -42 ambient is bitter cold, and -30 with the windchill dropping it to -90 is just plain nasty, the absolute worst bonechilling cold is pre-winter, imagine 33-35F with drizzle and wind.
That's Seattle on quite a few winter days. To me, it's better than extreme cold.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:17 AM   #18
Confused about dryer sheets
Seabird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Santa Margarita
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
You must have lived in the western part of the city. The bayside is much nicer.
I lived in San Leandro for 17 years and the only way to sum it up is with a quote from Mark Twain. "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco"
The natives call it natural air conditioning but I call it freezing your rear off.
__________________
Seabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:43 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
I lived in San Leandro for 17 years and the only way to sum it up is with a quote from Mark Twain. "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco"
The natives call it natural air conditioning but I call it freezing your rear off.
After spending the last 3 months in SF, I can say that I have only felt cold a handful of times. It can get very chilly when the fog rolls in, but I live in an area where we rarely see the fog, so it has not been a problem for me so far. In fact, I am feeling quite warm right now. It's 73F inside the apartment, even with the windows wide open. Too hot for me.
__________________
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:24 AM   #20
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
After spending the last 3 months in SF, I can say that I have only felt cold a handful of times. It can get very chilly when the fog rolls in, but I live in an area where we rarely see the fog, so it has not been a problem for me so far. In fact, I am feeling quite warm right now. It's 73F inside the apartment, even with the windows wide open. Too hot for me.
But FIREd, it is summertime. After spending any one of my six cold, cold winters there, that nice refreshing summer weather was not warm enough to warm me up, anyway.
__________________

__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:32 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.