Join Early Retirement Today

It's MONDAY!!!!
Old 11-10-2014, 09:35 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's MONDAY!!!!

I post this with a little (OK, a LOT of!!!) excitement. My retirement date is RAPIDLY approaching (next Monday is last official day) and in conjunction with tomorrows Veteran's Day Holiday, I am off w*rk today. So...I will go to w*rk on Wed, Thur, Fri and next Monday will be the "turn in badge day"

Since I am off today, I am getting a good sneak preview of how WONDERFUL Mondays will be in retirement. I listened to the traffic reports and laughed...I watched cars leave the neighborhood as the sun came up and laughed again. I have had a couple cups of coffee and will probably go get in the shower (it's about 10:30 in the AM). I also told the DW that I will do the grocery shopping today, so I will go get that done BEFORE 2 this afternoon...then I think I will take a nap. The high today is supposed to be around 70, so it'll be a great afternoon to spend some time in the hammock. Retirement is going to be GOOD for ME!!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2014, 10:10 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I can feel your excitement through cyberspace!

I huge Congrats to you FlyBoy5! Best wishes on your retirement!!!!! (I dream of the day, so I'm always so happy for people who make the big escape!!!!!!!)

YAHOOOOOO!

Old 11-10-2014, 10:13 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

So close! And you only have one more chance to get "a case of the Mondays"!

Old 11-10-2014, 10:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
So close! And you only have one more chance to get "a case of the Mondays"!

Yes it is...and I can TASTE IT! All future Mondays will be days of celebration!

I do love OfficeSpace..it should be required viewing for college graduation.

Best line ever was when Michael Bolton asked what Peter had been doing the last few days (when he was supposed to be at w*rk but wasn't)...

"Michael..I didn't nothing. I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be."
Old 11-10-2014, 10:19 AM   #5

Since you are retiring next Monday it probably won't feel like a Monday so your last real Monday feeling Monday was last Monday. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-10-2014, 10:21 AM   #6

It's MONDAY!!!!

It's Monday? Are you sure? Let me check. Oh yeah - the market's open..

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-10-2014, 10:22 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
Since I am off today, I am getting a good sneak preview of how WONDERFUL Mondays will be in retirement.
Not really. Monday's are nothing special since every day in ER is special.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
Since you are retiring next Monday it probably won't feel like a Monday so your last real Monday feeling Monday was last Monday. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
That is a very true statement. And going in next Monday will be just to make it official...so it'll be around 11 in morning while I am in flip flops and shorts. If I am there longer than 10 minutes, I would be surprised.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #9

Quote:
That is a very true statement. And going in next Monday will be just to make it official...so it'll be around 11 in morning while I am in flip flops and shorts. If I am there longer than 10 minutes, I would be surprised.

Going in wearing flip flops and shorts - that's cruel. Everyone else will instantly hate your guts...

Old 11-10-2014, 10:33 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
Going in wearing flip flops and shorts - that's cruel. Everyone else will instantly hate your guts...
Or get a big chuckle out of the blue skin tone. Check the weather forecast for Atlanta on Monday...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post

Perhaps...but they will have the same opportunity that I have had so they will get over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Or get a big chuckle out of the blue skin tone. Check the weather forecast for Atlanta on Monday...
Good point...but if it's warmer than about 50 outside, I am wearing shorts. I really dislike long pants and wear them as little as I can!
Old 11-10-2014, 10:37 AM   #12

After today I have 19 "in office" days left before I officially resign/retire. I'm looking forward to 5 January.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:38 AM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
I post this with a little (OK, a LOT of!!!) excitement. My retirement date is RAPIDLY approaching (next Monday is last official day) and in conjunction with tomorrows Veteran's Day Holiday, I am off w*rk today. So...I will go to w*rk on Wed, Thur, Fri and next Monday will be the "turn in badge day"
My "turn in the badge day" was a Monday too, (back in 2009), and I can highly recommend Monday for this. Others will be suffering through the work week while you enjoy your first days of retirement. The town will seem empty, with nobody on the road or in the stores. It's simply amazing!

And congratulations in advance.

Also congratulations in advance to 2B and all others retiring soon.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
After today I have 19 "in office" days left before I officially resign/retire. I'm looking forward to 5 January.
Congrats!!! The days will fly by...it's uncanny how quick it has gone by!

And looks like my shorts plan for Monday is shot...the high is supposed to be only 46!!!
Old 11-10-2014, 11:39 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations! The air is pretty darn great out here in ER.

Your post made me pause and think about what Mondays mean now, 3+ years into FIRE. At this point, I use them as recovery days from what are usually wild and crazy weekends of fun and activity with still-w*#king family and friends. They are also great days to run errands since the stores are once again empty.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:13 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations. Early on I spent a few Monday mornings on the back deck with coffee watching I-10 bridge traffic heading to work in New Orleans. Gradually your biological clock will realize getting up that early is no longer mandatory.

Up here now see a few med students walking to morning classes but it's 'sleeping in' compared to early ER.

heh heh heh - got to the point of never in a hurry - finally. The other highs in ER vary with the individual but they are many. You have a lot to look forward too.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:33 PM   #17

Quote:

Since I am off today, I am getting a good sneak preview of how WONDERFUL Mondays will be in retirement. I listened to the traffic reports and laughed...I watched cars leave the neighborhood as the sun came up and laughed again. I have had a couple cups of coffee and will probably go get in the shower (it's about 10:30 in the AM). I also told the DW that I will do the grocery shopping today, so I will go get that done BEFORE 2 this afternoon...then I think I will take a nap. The high today is supposed to be around 70, so it'll be a great afternoon to spend some time in the hammock. Retirement is going to be GOOD for ME!!!
Congratulations on your upcoming last day! I predict much laughter in your near future.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:22 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I post this with a little (OK, a LOT of!!!) excitement. My retirement date is RAPIDLY approaching (next Monday is last official day)
Congratulations! Celebrations like yours are what gives me hope that I can say the same in 6 months. I am so grateful hearing about successes like yours and others here on the forum.

Going back to w*rk this week must be a bear for you! (you know, trying to look interested and serious)
Old 11-10-2014, 02:25 PM   #19

Congratulations! I know the feeling well and it is all it is cracked up to be.