Join Early Retirement Today

It's starting to be real!
Old 03-03-2014, 04:13 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

It's starting to be real!

Okay..... Last week, we paid off the mortgage, and today I gave my apartment the required two months notice that I will be vacating the end of April.

No more long distance commuting!!!

Last December, I didn't know if I would make it, as the non-money bucket was overflowing, but now I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Have been taking it one day, one week at a time, until now there are only two weeks until I receive my annual bonus (and I have already been told it was approved), four weeks until I fully vest in the another program ..... I think I'm going to make it!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2014, 04:25 PM   #2
Administrator

Wow, exciting times for you, EllisWyatt!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:29 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah! Exciting, and a bit scary (which is when I start thinking.. well, maybe a bit longer....) but the one upside of last year being so stressful is that it makes the decision a heck of a lot easier!

In keeping with today being Lundi Gras....Laissez les bon temps rouler!
Old 03-03-2014, 04:36 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisWyatt View Post
Yeah! Exciting, and a bit scary (which is when I start thinking.. well, maybe a bit longer....) but the one upside of last year being so stressful is that it makes the decision a heck of a lot easier!

In keeping with today being Lundi Gras....Laissez les bon temps rouler!
Absolument, d'accord! Except, that I threw my back out last night so I plan to just stay home and groan for the next couple of days until it feels better. I will watch all the fun on TV this time instead of going out there. Oh well, there's always next year.

BTW, concerning the scariness ... I still remember walking out of my work building after my final day at work. That must be what sky-diving feels like. Pretty exhilarating and terrifying at the same time. But, by the time I got to my car I had a big smile on my face that still remains. ~~~>>

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:38 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks, that's really good to hear.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:02 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congrats on the big day getting closer!

I'm less than one year now until my 4-year vesting is complete in Feb 2015.

We now have an ESPP plan that has a purchase period ending in March 2015, and I'm giving serious thought to NOT sticking around for another month to collect it, since it will probably "only" amount to $12k to $15k after taxes.

I'm pretty much already mentally checked out, and to be honest, another few thousand to stick around for one more month just doesn't do it for me. I'm anxious to quit, walk out, and get on with life.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:10 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
Congrats on the big day getting closer!

I'm pretty much already mentally checked out, and to be honest, another few thousand to stick around for one more month just doesn't do it for me. I'm anxious to quit, walk out, and get on with life.
+1001
Old 03-04-2014, 01:22 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats on reaching the tipping point (also a brewpub in NC).
Hope you are as successful in the next four years as we have been in the last four years since retirement.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:57 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Still have a month and a half to go; one month until I give my notice. I'm finding it incredibly difficult to not blurt out anything (I'm not known for having a very effective filter between the brain and mouth). Today I was asked/requested/told/ordered to commission a technical study that my staff and I have repeatedly documented will be redundant, very expensive, inconclusive and incredibly time intensive. Wanted to say something, but instead, just smiled, and scheduled it to start in May.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:02 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

W2R - Sorry to hear about your back. Probably a good year to watch the revelries on TV, as I just got a report from friends on a balcony Bourbon street that it's cold, drizzling and just yucky weather. Of course, they have all consumed enough "antifreeze" to be feeling immortal. (They are DEFINATELY going to be paying for it tomorrow!)
Old 03-04-2014, 04:36 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Absolument, d'accord! Except, that I threw my back out last night so I plan to just stay home and groan for the next couple of days until it feels better. I will watch all the fun on TV this time instead of going out there. Oh well, there's always next year.

BTW, concerning the scariness ... I still remember walking out of my work building after my final day at work. That must be what sky-diving feels like. Pretty exhilarating and terrifying at the same time. But, by the time I got to my car I had a big smile on my face that still remains. ~~~>>
thought that rowing machine was good for the back?
ducky911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:25 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisWyatt View Post
Still have a month and a half to go; one month until I give my notice. I'm finding it incredibly difficult to not blurt out anything (I'm not known for having a very effective filter between the brain and mouth). Today I was asked/requested/told/ordered to commission a technical study that my staff and I have repeatedly documented will be redundant, very expensive, inconclusive and incredibly time intensive. Wanted to say something, but instead, just smiled, and scheduled it to start in May.
I have a saying to myself: "don't sabotage yourself by saying something stupid to screw up your plans." Helps me keep a lid on myself when I feel like saying something I know I'll regret. Also got a sort of epiphany this weekend that I really need a shift in consciousness to take what's left of my brain (which isn't much anymore) out of w*ork. After all, I have too many other things to do in preparation for ER to be giving anything there any credence whatsoever.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:05 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Good words to live by. I'm working real hard to smile, nod and behave. Turns out I have to walk a finer line than I thought - after I smiled, nodded and agreed to the study, one of my managers came into my office, closed the door, and said "Okay - What's up? You gave in too easily". (I told him I realized it was a battle we couldn't win and decided to be gracious about it)