Join Early Retirement Today

Jealous brothers and sisters?
Old 01-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Jealous brothers and sisters?

Does anybody have relatives that are jealous about your early retirement? We have several. In particular, my brother-in-law constantly calls us "retarded" (his joke instead of calling us retired). He is our age, a doctor. We think he would like to follow us, but doesn't want to give up his current income stream.

When he makes these comments, we just smile.
Brdofpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Both my brothers are dead and my sister is also retired. No problem here.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No, my little brother retired when he was 40. Except for one sister, my other siblings are retired or semi-retired by the time they turned 50.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Respond that it would be retarded to work when you don't have to?
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Brother ER'd at 50, went into business for himself, now has military reserves pension/govt pension/SS/consulting work/does whatevertheheckhewants. I'm the "drudge" in the family!

Some people just seem to think it's cute to say "We're retarded" instead of retired. Their sense of humor may be, shall we say, a little mentally-challenged. Just tell Dr. BIL that prolonged jealousy lasting more than 4 hours is bad for one's health

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brdofpray View Post
Does anybody have relatives that are jealous about your early retirement? We have several. In particular, my brother-in-law constantly calls us "retarded" (his joke instead of calling us retired). He is our age, a doctor. We think he would like to follow us, but doesn't want to give up his current income stream.

When he makes these comments, we just smile.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I retired at 61, and both my big brothers retired about ten years younger than that.

Quote:
my brother-in-law constantly calls us "retarded" (his joke instead of calling us retired).
That isn't even funny. Sounds to me like he has quite a problem dealing with your retirement.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

My sister talks about retiring all the time now that I've retired, though she never did before I retired. My whole family was very surprised but she's happy for me more than overtly jealous. She is 5 years older than me...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:52 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've mentioned many times that I retired at age 51. Sister and her husband went to about 58 for retirement. Brother, although he could have retired many years ago, is still hanging on. He's now 65 but has it made. If I had a deal like he has, I wouldn't retire either. In fact, when he tried to retire about three yedars ago, he about went nuts. Really, he almost had a breakdown. Went into depression. Was under treatment. Decided he just had to go back to "work". He just has to have something going all the time, needs to stay busy. He's happier than a pig in p**p! Some people are just like that. Me? I was burned out and had to get out of there.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Thanks, I really needed that. I can't wait to see him again!
Brdofpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:32 PM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I don't communicate with any of the people that share my DNA.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #11

I am the youngest of three siblings, and thus far, the only one who has retired. I pulled the plug five years ago at 50. My brother is 64, enjoys his job, and hasn't even mentioned retiring. He's said several times that he's happy that I was able to retire so young and enjoy my freedom. He said he really enjoys what he does, and doesn't think he'd be as content if he retired yet.

On the other hand, my 60 year old sister is fairly unhappy that I was the first of us three to retire. By her choice, up until a few years ago she's always had jobs that were 'fun' or 'fulfilling' but that did not offer decent wages or benefits and no retirement plans or pensions. Then a few years ago, after her divorce, she realized that she needed a job that provided some security, as well as wages and benefits (even if it wasn't 'fun') that would allow her to retire sometime prior to her 100th birthday. She'll be able to retire and collect a pension in about five years, at 65.

She has expressed some jealousy over my early retirement and the freedom that I have, and has made digs about it. But I just shrug it off and figure that all three of us had about the same start in life. And each of us chose different routes in life. Therefore, our lives are what each of us made them, nothing more and nothing less.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #12

I have six sisters. All of my sisters inherited the LBYM genes from our parents. Jealous? I don't think so. I think if anything they are working towards their own FI.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I am the one who is jealous of my younger sister, retired now ten (?) years.

But she had a high stress job that wasn't that much fun and I am still groovin', so we just get together and party when we are back in the country.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have had my share of jealous relatives and acquaintances. My parents proudly told someone I was retired at 50, and the response was "you mean retarded". My parents did not know how to respond. My BIL wanted to retire early but really did not have any ability to retire. So, for the last two years every encounter with him has been a little tense. We do not see him very often anymore. Old co-workers also commented about how lucky I am. I agree I am fortunate and a benefit of my current situation is I can choose who I associate with, and who I can leave behind.
I did not anticipate any jealousy from anyone. I must be a little niave and thought that people would just be happy for me.
retiredncolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

There are so many other issues a sibling can be jealous about. My sister, I think, is jealous because my children are accomplished while her son, in which she had so much invested, has a serious mental illness. She is wealthy, financially, while my wealth is in grand children. I wouldn't want to trade places.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:14 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

My brother's always followed his own path, so it hasn't been an issue. He certainly doesn't begrudge me the path I followed.

He and his long-time GF have bought a third-hand RV and they're planning to sell the dog-care business in a few years. They'll roam the country picking up collectibles to sell on Etsy. Caring for our Dad may have put that plan on the shelf, or at least limited it to a few weeks of vacation at a time.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:29 AM   #17

I have one brother but have not talked to him in four years or more. Problem solved.
Quote:
Does anybody have relatives that are jealous about your early retirement?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:32 AM   #18

Why even the need to respond ? I would move on with my life and think about more important things than relatives' jealous comments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:38 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I just tell them I'm on sabbatical. Then after a few years, maybe on hiatus, then after a few years, on a quest. Then after a few years ....
HpRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:22 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HpRyder View Post
I just tell them I'm on sabbatical. Then after a few years, maybe on hiatus, then after a few years, on a quest. Then after a few years ....
Yeah! A quest! Great answer!