Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-13-2012, 04:28 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Been to a couple of JB concerts in the past 2 years. The concerts were great entertainment with lots of families in attendance. I don't think you need to do anything special or "prepare". I found it helpful to listen to Jimmy Buffett songs all week ahead of time, but even that is not necessary.

He's a great entertainer. You should not be able to tell your concert apart from any of the numerous videos on YouTube.

I'll venture a guess that he doesn't retire because too many people depend on him for their livelihood. He's a business and employs dozens of folks who would be jobless if it wasn't for him.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #22
Confused about dryer sheets

I saw him way back in the 70's, the Margaritaville tour. He put on a fun show even though he had just broken his leg and was in a cast. So he sat on a stool all night long but got all of us to dance and sing along.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:29 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm sitting in the car reading this and listening to music when wouldn't you know it "A Pirate looks at 40" comes on. I saw him in Hawaii once when I was in the Navy. I was in the Transpac crew (we were flying the planes to the PI instead of riding the carrier). Had bought the tickets and were looking forward to some great partying. But first we had to do some carrier qualms in the morning meaning we had to fly to the carrier which was doing some training ops and make a couple of traps and then fly back to Barbers Pt. Well once we made a few traps and were about to depart, the squadron CO said the needed our plane for a couple of other crews to make some traps and GASP we might have to spend the night ONBOARD THE SHIP!!!!

I was literally on my knees begging to go back to shore!! Luckily the other crew made its traps and we were able to get back to shore with about an hour to spare. BEST show I ever saw.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #24

I saw him at San Diego state's outdoor amphitheater, close to 30 years ago. They had looser rules than they do now, about coolers, etc. You could bring food/drink in as long as it wasn't glass. So Buffet fans came with coolers full of wine coolers, margarita's, etc. Bonnie Raitt opened. She got a huge ovation when she came out and she quipped back "I know why you guys are so happy - I see those coolers!". She was right. That was a fun night. (Hate to say it - but Bonnie was funner than Jimmy)
Old 08-30-2012, 05:05 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Settlement on our home sale tomorrow (knock on wood) then Buffett Saturday. This is kinda like the final step in letting go of our old life.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Settlement on our home sale tomorrow (knock on wood) then Buffett Saturday. This is kinda like the final step in letting go of our old life.
Congratulations on the house sale! Put on your Hawaiian shirts and enjoy the concert !
Old 08-30-2012, 10:09 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCityGrrrl1 View Post
I saw him way back in the 70's, the Margaritaville tour. He put on a fun show even though he had just broken his leg and was in a cast. So he sat on a stool all night long but got all of us to dance and sing along.
I remember that show in '78 or '79, where he adlibbed new lyrics to "Son of a Sailor": "This cast is no blast and it's comin' off fast, it feels like I'm pullin' a trailer..."

Quote:
Gosh, those ticket prices are getting pretty high!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:23 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I remember that show in '78 or '79, where he adlibbed new lyrics to "Son of a Sailor": "This cast is no blast and it's comin' off fast, it feels like I'm pullin' a trailer..."

Heh!

My first "big name" concert was Steppenwolf in 1970. Had seats on row M; cost was $5.50...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:57 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Heh!

My first "big name" concert was Steppenwolf in 1970. Had seats on row M; cost was $5.50...
Great first big name band. Must have been a good show.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:47 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
If you can remember where you sat, then you either saved your ticket stubs or you weren't doing it right!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:15 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron
Went to settlement today and everything went well!! Funny you mentioned the ticket prices Nords. What we paid for the Buffett concert tickets was pretty close to what we paid for a full month's rent on our first apartment back in the 70s.

We’re so happy to be down to one paid for, but albeit, modest home and looking forward to seeing the dude tomorrow. Party on

Old 09-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hope you enjoyed the show. Should be a great time..
Old 09-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
Hope you enjoyed the show. Should be a great time..
It was fantastic! Jimmy sure does know how to put on a show. Our Parrot Head friends got the tickets and we were only 5 seats from the stage in a venue that holds 25,000 including the lawn. They go every year and know how to get good seats.

After the concert, we were worn out from the day which began at about 3pm for the pre show tail gate parties and ended with getting back to their place around midnight. Took a dip in their pool and felt refreshed enough to continue the party until 2am. Jimmy would have been proud
Old 09-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #34

Quote:
It was fantastic! Jimmy sure does know how to put on a show. Our Parrot Head friends got the tickets and we were only 5 seats from the stage in a venue that holds 25,000 including the lawn. They go every year and know how to get good seats.

After the concert, we were worn out from the day which began at about 3pm for the pre show tail gate parties and ended with getting back to their place around midnight. Took a dip in their pool and felt refreshed enough to continue the party until 2am. Jimmy would have been proud
Now I'm envious
Old 09-03-2012, 06:09 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Well...??

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Try not to trip over one of these...

Old 09-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Well...??
When Jimmy does DC, the crowd yells "salt, salt, SALT!" everytime he mentions it in Margaritaville. It's a DC thing I was previously unaware of. He also changed "sponge cake" to "crab cakes" for us

Old 09-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
yells "salt, salt, SALT!" everytime he mentions it in Margaritaville.
You beat me to the punch Purron. Instead of writing a lengthy post I clicked on the link and watched the waves. Thanks.

As an aside, I was once discussing the song with my 30+ YO son and he had no idea what a "pop top" was. He was thinking that it was just a throw-away line. I stepped on hundreds of them at Daytona Beach back in the day...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I think Nords might appreciate this. At the end of the concert when we were leaving the venue, they played this. Jimmy must love it as much as I do :-)

Old 09-03-2012, 07:46 PM   #39

Quote:
I think Nords might appreciate this. At the end of the concert when we were leaving the venue, they played this. Jimmy must love it as much as I do :-)
For top ten song, this would be one.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:21 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Jimmy's been a big booster of local artists (not that Braddah Iz needed the boost). He's toured with Jake Shimabukuro over the last few years, including his last show here, and our local airwaves still carry a version of a classic Hawaiian melody backed up with Coral Reefer harmonica. It gives it an interesting style.

I didn't know anything about Iz until we moved here in 1989, and his popularity here was just starting to hit the Mainland. However our daughter has known his music her entire life, and of course she feels obligated to propagate her culture. Iz covered of a lot of pop & country songs besides "Over the Rainbow" by personalizing them to local culture. For example he sings "Country Roads" by changing some of the lyrics to Mt. Ka'ala and Makaha.

When our daughter got to college, one day she indignantly reported home that some hick named John Denver had ripped off Iz's song. Then she was even more mortified to find out that it was the other way around, and that John Denver was popular when I was her age. I think she's still a little traumatized...