Join Early Retirement Today

Joined A Yacht Club
Old 07-15-2016, 11:36 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Joined A Yacht Club

Not a snobby place, dues are reasonable, free parking , 2 well maintained hoists , 2nd floor ocean view , lounge open all day with wifi.

Prospective member interview last night . Several ques." Tell us about your boating experience", "do you own a boat ", " are you willing to join facility work parties? , etc. conclusion of interview " Do you have anything else to tell the membership committee ? " Yes, I am fully qualified to operate a scraper and paint brush " Vice Commodore : " OK You're in "
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2016, 11:40 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good for you, sounds like fun!
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:17 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Enjoy! We have friends who belong to one and they have a lot of fun activities.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:44 PM   #4

I belong to one at a reservoir... no ocean view. we all to work days. Tomorrow I will help build a couple more dock sections to replace aging ones. We race sailboats for 7 months officially. Some of us will race lasers from November until it is too cold... some times December or January. I lot of good people and good fun.

Dues and fees for me are a little over $500 including out door dry sail storage for the entire year.

I sail an MC Scow. What do you sail ... or aspire to sail?
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:59 PM   #5

I used to work with a guy who belonged to the Rio de Janeiro Yacht Club. Amazing facility with a first class restaurant. We all treasured the occasion when he invited us to dine there. He didn't own a boat himself, but had a friend who did (a truly awesome 100' schooner) and we would occasionally go for wonderful sails on it.

I found the typical yacht club member to be delightfully normal, and not at all the pretentious schmuck I would have expected. There was also a remarkable degree of camaraderie among the members, so that any member would drop everything at the casual request of another.

You should fit right in with your attitude. Enjoy!
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:12 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

My broker has a yacht, but he won't let me sail with him.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
My broker has a yacht, but he won't let me sail with him.
Where is yours?
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:24 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

They don't let people like us in Yacchit clubs.

There's a club across the lake from us, but it comes with a Robert Trent Jones golf course, a huge initiation fee and monthly charges enough to purchase a Mercedes with.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:57 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

We used to go to a restaurant at a marina that had a fancy engraved big banner sign over the bar that read;

"Work is the curse of the drinking class"

Great place!
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:47 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Great, I wish there was a decent YC near me. Enjoy yourself ��

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:41 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
There's a club across the lake from us, but it comes with a Robert Trent Jones golf course, a huge initiation fee and monthly charges enough to purchase a Mercedes with.
When I was a lad, racing an 8' dinghy at a different yacht club every Tues-Fri in the summer, this yacht club had purchased and torn down about 6 (memories fade) apartment buildings for parking space. They now own 18 lots, with 7 to go. Initiation fee for this club is now about the same as the most expensive Porsche with a reasonable set of options, or the least expensive Ferrari.

NHYC-700.jpg
Newport Harbor Yacht Club. Newport Beach, CA. Photo from zillow.com
Old 01-30-2018, 03:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I wish there was a decent YC near me.
The Chicago Corinthian YC has good people, and is certainly not a pretentious place.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:03 PM   #13
Dryer sheet wannabe

We belong to a little sailing club (not a yacht club) and everyone had to contribute 25 work hours per year. It's a social little place and well kept because everyone pitches in. You'd definitely get in with your scraper and paintbrush abilities!
kerik68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:33 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

My brother and SIL joined one like the OP's- they're very unpretentious and love sailing. They've done a ton of actual work on the premises, too because they're handy and things needed fixing. SIL had to put up a polite sign in the bathrooms asking members not to filch the shampoo, paper towels, toilet paper, etc. to stock their vessels. Wonder if that happens in Newport.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:06 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

My first job out of college I worked for a megacorp on the gulf coast. One of the managers in my dept belonged to a yacht & tennis club. I played tennis with him there and got to enjoy some of the niceties of a club like that w/o the expense of a membership. I always thought I would enjoy belonging to a club like that, but never got to that level. I do belong to a golf club but it's all about golf....nothing else. There is a nicer club in town I could belong to that has all the extras, but not worth the extra expense to me.

Hope you enjoy your membership.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:03 AM   #16
gone traveling

I RE-joined 'The Rudder Club'. i bought an old G Cat that i'm fixing up. Dues and trailer storage are $125 a month. i sailed there (on the St Johns river) back in the 80's with a hobie 14 and 18, an 18SQ meter cat, a G cat, and a holder 20 mono. I've got about $6k of kitesurfing gear i probably won't ever use again now.
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:12 AM   #17

I was away when this thread started. I just saw it for the first time. Reminds me of a funny story:

While on a trip, we were invited to join a "Royal" Yacht Club. Yacht clubs authorized to use the "Royal" warrant are among the most prestigious in the world, with reciprocal privileges at other Royal Yacht Clubs in all the high-society cruising destinations.

We were anchored off their facility and invited as guests to dinner. The big meal consisted of a few friendly members cooking burgers on the gas grills out behind the little building they owned. The "Yachts" were small sailboats (sorry, I'm not a sailor so I don't recall the class) kept in a rack near the grills.

One member told the story of how they got to be part of the Royal system. Many years ago, they sent in an official application on appropriately ornate stationary. It sounded like it may have almost been as a joke. At any rate, their application was accepted, and they were in! I think membership at the time I visited was around $100/year.

We really thought about joining, just for the fun of it. I knew I'd never be at any marina where the reciprocal privileges were recognized, and I'm not big on flying yacht club burgees from my flag halyards, so I never did it.

My own little marina is called a "boat club" specifically to differentiate ourselves from yacht clubs. We see ourselves more as a quaint little drinking club with a boating problem.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:53 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

im not in one ...but i’ve been to Yachats

(i’ve seen some fairly large yachts when visiting a few Florida towns and in Monaco...you know, the ones with helicopters and other craft aboard that dwarf most other boats.... i read how much they have to spend just to move their vessels from the Med to the Caribbean ... let’s just say they don’t live in my zip code)
FI_RElater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I was away when this thread started. I just saw it for the first time. Reminds me of a funny story:

While on a trip, we were invited to join a "Royal" Yacht Club. Yacht clubs authorized to use the "Royal" warrant are among the most prestigious in the world, with reciprocal privileges at other Royal Yacht Clubs in all the high-society cruising destinations.

We were anchored off their facility and invited as guests to dinner. The big meal consisted of a few friendly members cooking burgers on the gas grills out behind the little building they owned. The "Yachts" were small sailboats (sorry, I'm not a sailor so I don't recall the class) kept in a rack near the grills.

One member told the story of how they got to be part of the Royal system. Many years ago, they sent in an official application on appropriately ornate stationary. It sounded like it may have almost been as a joke. At any rate, their application was accepted, and they were in! I think membership at the time I visited was around $100/year.

We really thought about joining, just for the fun of it. I knew I'd never be at any marina where the reciprocal privileges were recognized, and I'm not big on flying yacht club burgees from my flag halyards, so I never did it.

My own little marina is called a "boat club" specifically to differentiate ourselves from yacht clubs. We see ourselves more as a quaint little drinking club with a boating problem.

[emoji23]
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:15 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI_RElater View Post
(i’ve seen some fairly large yachts when visiting a few Florida towns and in Monaco...you know, the ones with helicopters and other craft aboard that dwarf most other boats.... i read how much they have to spend just to move their vessels from the Med to the Caribbean ... let’s just say they don’t live in my zip code)
Years ago, just before the dotcom bubble burst, I was at a conference in San Diego and went jogging around the marina. I browsed the ads posted in a glass-enclosed box and there was one offering a 100-foot yacht for sale. "Owner must sell. Needs bigger boat". I said to my boss, "Don't some people's problems just make you want to cry?"
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote