Join Early Retirement Today

June Vacation Trip
Old 01-13-2006, 02:02 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

June Vacation Trip

Planning to take DW on birthday/vacation trip in June(10 days). Options are Brazil(Rio), Belize, Costa Rica,or Jamaica(Negril). We haven't been to any of these locations. Has anyone any prior experience, preferences or suggestions. We're not much into water sports, but enjoy the beach, historical tours and good night entertainment (beside our own!)
ferco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: June Vacation Trip
Old 01-13-2006, 05:42 AM   #2

I've been to the countries listed. Stay away from Jamaica, unless you like to get hassled by the hucksters. It's really gotten bad there.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:23 AM   #3

I would suggest you look at Portugal or/and Spain.

You will get beaches, great History, wonderful people, and with a whole lot less exposure to danger.

Most of the choices you mentioned will be fine for Beaching, but there are no real Historical areas to visit, Rio does have interesting areas, but there are reports of muggings on the Beaches.

The Azores Islands in Portugal are as close to the Garden of Eden that you can get, a little more travelling involved, but worth it.

Costa Rica if you want Eco Tourism.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:53 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I've been to the countries listed. Stay away from Jamaica, unless you like to get hassled by the hucksters. It's really gotten bad there.
So has mexico. We were pestered so bad the last two times we went to cancun/cozumel and cabo san lucas that I wont be back. You get about 30 seconds between pitches while you're trying to relax on the beach. Every time something about a mexican vacation shows up on tv my wife looks at me and says "Buy one of these for your beautiful girlfriend! For you right now, its almost free!"

:P :P :P
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 08:31 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Belize by far

Costa Rica is a bit too popular right now & thus more crowded
Rio is worth a trip but I wouldn't think it would be real relaxing - big city
Jamaica - hey mon, come down so we can hassle you mon
Old 01-13-2006, 06:00 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

Try the Mopan River Resort in Belize. It was amazing. They picked us up at the airport. It was all inclusive including daily excursions of no more than 10-12 people. No more than 30 or so guests at a time. I think there were 12-14 while we were there. The food and company were unbeatable. We went in June '03. I can dig up some pictures if anyone is interested.
Old 01-14-2006, 03:58 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

It's near the western border of Belize, so it's not on the ocean. No snorkeling. Some of the people staying there at the same time as us spent a few days on the ocean either before or after. I don't know if there is flyfishing on that river (but why not?). You can email Pam (the owner) and ask her. She's the one who answers the emails they get.

Pam and Jay (the owners) are great. He is the one I have mentioned in the past who lives in Belize because he's avoiding the US gov't for tax reasons. Very entertaining people.

You can find my pictures here.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:08 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nice pictures! Guatemala is now on my short list! I have an old friend, a Mayan from Guatemala who found his way to New York with the help of the Maryknolls...... Thanks for sharing your pictures!

Kate
kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:22 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My goodness-you have been to a lot of places for one so young! Good for you! Thanks for all the pictures. I need to get busy!

Dreamer
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:44 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

It's all been in the last 3 years, too. AND I just took a new job that will involve more international travel. I'm trying to get it all in now so I can then take 20 years off to raise some kids before I start traveling again.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:11 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

I went to Belize in 1967 when it was British Honduras and hadn't developed a tourist industry.* I finally returned last year and found that the town of Belize City still looked the same but the people had developed a lot of the huckster traits found in other tourist areas. It is an interesting place but you won't find much nightlife.

Jamaica is a country that I have no desire to see again.* The natives weren't friendly; in fact they were often insulting.* We were going to stay two weeks but left after a few days.

I haven't been to Costa Rica for some time but it was definitely a place that is worth a visit--beautiful scenery, stable government, and friendly people.

I still like Mexico the best for a beach resort.* Playa del Carmen (45 minutes south of Cancun) has great beaches and is less expensive that Cancun.* Isla Mujeres is probably one of the most exotic tropical islands I have seen.* Cozumel is great for snorkeling and scuba diving, but the beaches are not very good.*

Since you like water sports, beaches, historical things and nightlife I would suggest one of the all-inclusives in Playa del Carmen.* Great beaches, shows and discos at the resorts, proximity to Tulum, Coba, and other Mayan ruins.* Check out the Iberostar resorts in that area.
eriter is offline   Reply With Quote