Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Just can't quit
Old 07-12-2005, 11:53 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Yah but it's not for The Man.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2005, 12:43 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by azanon
I dont think anyone has any problems with what you're saying, untill the person tries to claim to us this isn't work.* Its work, dont kid yourselves.* If you're paid for it, its work.* *Work is paid labor.
I don't think anyone has a problem with your definition of work. They may or may not agree with it, but you can define work however you want. The definition is easy to apply. But if you place a value judgement on work based on this definition, you may have problems.

This weekend, I spent about 6 hours climbing down into a dirty irrigation standpipe, removing rusty, broken valve plates, working with a neighbor to cut and weld replacement parts, then climbing back down the standpipe to repair the equipment. For this work, I was paid nothing. My neighborhood and I will be able to get water during the next irrigation cycle and many of them have come by the house to thank me for my efforts. Some people might consider this work, but by your definition it is not.

I also read a manuscript for a publisher this weekend. The manuscript if for a book that will come out next year and that I probably would have bought to read when it did come out. Instead, the publisher is paing me $500 for my review and providing me with a copy of the book. Some people might consider that an exceptional opportunity, but by your definition, it is work. Call both of these exercises work or call neither of them work. I don't care. I'll continue to do both because I find them rewarding.

Old 07-12-2005, 01:22 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Re: Not only can I quit, I haven't even started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
and anything involving oxy-acetylene torches...
Once you learn to weld/braze (and it isn't that hard) you'll be amazed at the number of things you are able to fix that were probably headed for the dump. And if you add a small lathe and milling machine, even better.

I like the definition "if it was supposed to be fun, they wouldn't call it work".

If having a good time puts some money in your pocket, I see no problem with that. I'm not going to put significant effort into looking for moneymaking opportunities, as I've got plenty of my own projects that have been sitting on the sidelines for far too long. But if something comes along that looks like it will be minimal hassle, entertaining/ego gratifying, and not too time consuming, I won't be averse to considering it.

I think a big issue is if you get to pick and choose the job/time/place. At work, you get those factors issued to you. If you get to set things up the way you want, or just decline entirely if you don't feel like messing with it, it seems like getting to have your cake and eat it too.

BTW, 5.5 weeks to go.

cheers,
Michael
Old 07-12-2005, 01:33 PM   #24

Quote:
This weekend, I spent about 6 hours climbing down into a dirty irrigation standpipe, removing rusty, broken valve plates, working with a neighbor to cut and weld replacement parts, then climbing back down the standpipe to repair the equipment. For this work, I was paid nothing. My neighborhood and I will be able to get water during the next irrigation cycle and many of them have come by the house to thank me for my efforts. Some people might consider this work, but by your definition it is not.
You need a qualifier for that. I think the most common qualifier you hear is "volunteer work". "Working" for the Red Cross would be another example.

Quote:
I also read a manuscript for a publisher this weekend. The manuscript if for a book that will come out next year and that I probably would have bought to read when it did come out. Instead, the publisher is paing me $500 for my review and providing me with a copy of the book. Some people might consider that an exceptional opportunity, but by your definition, it is work. Call both of these exercises work or call neither of them work. I don't care. I'll continue to do both because I find them rewarding.
See above (more volunteer work). I've had plenty of "exceptional opportunities" in my work career so far, many of which i took advange of. You make that sound like its either or. I think its both.

Again, i dont have any problem with any of those things you choose to do. Only when you dillusion yourself to think its not work, will you hear from me.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:53 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by - SG
I would suggest that anyone who finds it rewarding to spend some of their time doing things in exchange for money should be just as defiant.*
Yes, but a true ER grandmaster would donate that money to charity!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 03:43 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Yes, but a true ER grandmaster would donate that money to charity!
Who's Charity?
Old 07-12-2005, 07:21 PM   #27

No clash of conscience here. I'm going to work 4 hours on Thursday. First time back in weeks. I'll collect enough to pay a few month's healthcare premiums... or whatever!

Old 07-12-2005, 08:37 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM
No clash of conscience here. I'm going to work 4 hours on Thursday. First time back in weeks. I'll collect enough to pay a few month's healthcare premiums... or whatever!
"works" for me!