Join Early Retirement Today

Just how cool is this?
Old 04-22-2007, 09:36 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just how cool is this?

Scottrade, for some reason, simply added 5932.443 shares of DODFX to my account. (That's Dodge & Cox International Fund). Price is about $47.80 a share. The questions are, do I have to pay some sort of gift tax on it? If I sell all the shares, is there a huge capital gains tax I'm looking at? Should I just give it back to Scottrade because it throws my allocation strategy way off? Or, should I be flexible regarding my allocation plans, keep the shares, and maybe stop working full time?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Just how cool is this?
Old 04-22-2007, 09:41 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

This sounds like a new asset class: Negative Term Bonds, as in, once they notice will appear as if it never appeared!
Culture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:16 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

You should have a poll to see how long it takes them to catch up with you. I once had a mutual fund credit me twice. However, since this was back in the days of paper statements, I didn't notice until tax time. And their policy was that if you didn't report in 90 days, you had to live with it.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:59 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My first mortgage the bank took a couple of month to send me a bill. I didn't understand that I had paid a month in advance, but even so they were a almost a month late, because the loan was sold.

I was estatic for a couple of weeks, but as my roomate reminded me banks were not in the business of forgeting $140,000, and sure enough they did catch there mistake. I give it them 3 business day a month best guess.

I do like selling it because it screws up your allocation strategy.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:42 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck
Scottrade, for some reason, simply added 5932.443 shares of DODFX to my account. (That's Dodge & Cox International Fund). Price is about $47.80 a share. The questions are, do I have to pay some sort of gift tax on it? If I sell all the shares, is there a huge capital gains tax I'm looking at? Should I just give it back to Scottrade because it throws my allocation strategy way off? Or, should I be flexible regarding my allocation plans, keep the shares, and maybe stop working full time?
We'll see how funny this is next January when they start passing out their 1099s!

I bet it'll be even more fun if they did that to your IRA...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:22 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

OK, here is the deal. The brother in law of the son of the director of finance in Nigeria told me I was named beneficiary of a long lost fortune. Since I have no need for money I suggested the funds be given to the poster known as redduck. Obviously this is the result.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:57 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by poboy
OK, here is the deal. The brother in law of the son of the director of finance in Nigeria told me I was named beneficiary of a long lost fortune. Since I have no need for money I suggested the funds be given to the poster known as redduck. Obviously this is the result.
Sounds like fraud. The real Finance Minister is seeking help getting funds out of Nigeria. You sound like a dumb white guy -- what are the odds that you inherited from a Nigerian royal fortune? If you would like to join us in helping the real guy transfer funds PM me and I will explain how you can get in.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:17 PM   #8

Let's see, I've talked to a couple of people at Scottrade. They seem to be in no hurry to get the funds out of my account. One guy said that I transferred the funds from Dodge and Cox itself to a brokerage that I never heard of and then to my Scottrade account. If I did this, I guess I've figured out how to do well in the stock market. It's not buy and hold; buy low, sell, high; or asset allocation. The secret is: just have the mutual fund companies put their shares in your account--and the best part is, you don't even have to ask them--or even know how this is done. I wish I knew about this 20 years ago. Or, even last year. If you don't hear from me again, something went really, really wrong.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:48 PM   #9

maybe someone is parking shares in your account. when they pick them up they probably will add the rest to the pile.
joesxm3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:12 AM   #10

Well, I still have the mutual fund in my account (it was added to my account on 4/19/07). And, Nords, thanks for your reply alerting me about the 1009s. I don't think I would have thought to check that out--although perhaps a number, a huge number that I'm not really familar with on my 1099s, would have shown up, and maybe that would have gotten my attention. Luckily, this is not an IRA account.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:41 PM   #11
Administrator

Something similar once happened to me - an IRA transfer got double counted by the new trustee. I called them right away, but nothing happened for about three months. Then they sent me a very apologetic letter and reset my account to reflect the proper amount (with appropriate adjustment of subsequent gains or losses).
Old 04-25-2007, 11:05 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Yes... you can do anything you want with it...

BUT, the real owner will eventually miss it and report it... you have no defense if you do something with the money.... this has been taken to court a few times when a bank has deposited money in the wrong account and the holder takes the money out and spends it... just sit tight and wait for them to come..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
Yes... you can do anything you want with it...

BUT, the real owner will eventually miss it and report it... you have no defense if you do something with the money.... this has been taken to court a few times when a bank has deposited money in the wrong account and the holder takes the money out and spends it... just sit tight and wait for them to come..
Texas Proud, I was willing to give you the name of my very honest car mechanic, but after this kind of negative thinking...well, I'm not so sure now. (Actually, sometimes the correct advice really sucks). But, you are definitely correct and I will just sit tight. But, the weird thing is, it seems that I have complete access to the funds---even after notifying my brokerage.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:33 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Texas Proud, I was willing to give you the name of my very honest car mechanic, but after this kind of negative thinking...well, I'm not so sure now. (Actually, sometimes the correct advice really sucks). But, you are definitely correct and I will just sit tight. But, the weird thing is, it seems that I have complete access to the funds---even after notifying my brokerage.
Sorry for the negative thinking...

Yes, you have full access because they THINK it is your money. Until they can verify that it is not yours, they will not do anything with the funds...

It still does not mean that if you do something that you will not have to give the money back.. as I said, I have read about cases where someone said the same thing... they put the money in my account so it MUST be mine... they lost...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:54 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

So that's roughly $283,549 of free money on top of whatever other money you have. Sounds simple to me. Just withdraw the free money along with all your other money, then move to an affordable country with no extradition treaty with the U.S. An early FIRE just fell in your lap!

(just joking of course)

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:11 PM   #16

Well, perhaps I could cash in the mutual fund and summer in Nigeria and winter in Estonia. (I don't imagine either of these places have extradition laws). Maybe Texas...Texas probably doesn't have extradition laws.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Well, perhaps I could cash in the mutual fund and summer in Nigeria and winter in Estonia. (I don't imagine either of these places have extradition laws). Maybe Texas...Texas probably doesn't have extradition laws.
Actually, Estonia does have an extradition treaty with the US, so don't come here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:U..._countries.PNG

Old 04-26-2007, 11:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek
Actually, Estonia does have an extradition treaty with the US, so don't come here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:U..._countries.PNG
Now, that's really cold. But thanks for the heads-up. Wow, come into some quick, easy money and all of a sudden I'm a pariah (hope I spelled and am using that word correctly). Sort of set my heart on Estonia.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:27 AM   #19

Quote:
Now, that's really cold. But thanks for the heads-up. Wow, come into some quick, easy money and all of a sudden I'm a pariah (hope I spelled and am using that word correctly). Sort of set my heart on Estonia.
Well, you can come here, just lay low. Buy a house near the Russian border and tunnel underneath for a quick escape if need be.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:35 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Wow, come into some quick, easy money and all of a sudden I'm a pariah (hope I spelled and am using that word correctly).
Sorry, Duck, looks like you'll need to seek professional help...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote