Just received the last earned income that I will ever get.

cashflo2u2

Recycles dryer sheets
I did a consulting job a while ago and just got my check. I was happy (it was a good size amount) but then I was a little nostalgic in that it most likely was my last ever earned income. Shouldn't I need to feel productive in other ways now. Don't we all want to be "productive"?: productive: "causing or bringing about good"

I did a consulting job a while ago and just got my check. I was happy (it was a good size amount) but then I was a little nostalgic in that it most likely was my last ever earned income. Shouldn't I need to feel productive in other ways now. Don't we all want to be "productive"?: productive: "causing or bringing about good"

Just because you have retired doesn't mean that you won't cause or bring about good any longer. You can always volunteer in a formal sense, or just do random acts of kindness/goodness on your own (my preference).

I would imagine it's a little unnerving to get your last ever check for earned income. I guess I will know about that in mid-November, myself.

Perhaps you should think of it more like the Hindu Religion teaches -- not "retirement" but "the Third Stage." See this for instance.

The transition from this "householder" (grihastha) stage, intent on productivity and profit at whatever level it might be, to the third stage (vanaprastha) constitutes the basic "change of life." It implies a radical reversal of the polarization of consciousness, a change from extroversion to introversion, and a reorientation of the desires, motives, and essential character of one's activities. The timing of the change has been given as when a man can see the face of his newborn grandchild. In societies where marriages are usually early, this could mean the beginning of the forties. The grandfather is then expected to enter into a new kind of relationship predicated, at least in many cases, on leaving the family home, giving the direction of his business to his son, and retiring to the forest surrounding the village or town.(1)

This third stage of life is called the "forest-dweller"; but the term leads to a misunderstanding. While the forest-dweller may have given up his family home and his personal business or occupation to live in retirement in the simplest possible way, he is also able to participate in a non-personal manner in the affairs of the entire community. He may become part of the Council of Elders, or serve in whatever capacity his personal life has trained him for. He serves the Whole of which he sees himself a part, but without remuneration. He has given up the profit motive and (theoretically or gradually) the personal ambition motive. Thus the traditional keynote of this third life-stage has been "sacrifice."

However, we have to understand that any action totally dedicated to the service of a greater Whole without any desire for profit has a sacred character. It is consecrated. The process of consecration should result from an internal or introverted experience of the reality of the life and power of that greater Whole. It normally requires that the structure and purpose of the tradition on which the operation of the Whole is based be studied and understood in terms of principles. These may be symbolized in religious, theological allegories (as in the Hindu puranas), or presented in their more abstract, metaphysical forms. Such a consecrated activity which no desire for profit incites and sustains is transpersonal. It is activity through a person but "in the name of" a Whole of which the person not only knows himself or herself to be a functioning part, but has proven to others his ability to perform that function.

but Let me google that for you

Last edited:
The "odd feeling" for me was the year that everyone in the house had earned income, except for me and the 14YO. It just seemed odd. But I had more "un-earned income" (gee, I worked pretty hard to save up the money to be able to produce that income, it sure seems "earned" to me!).

I'm more productive now than the last few years at the MegaCorp. There's a big difference between "being paid to do counter-productive busy work on a project that will be scrapped at the next big-honcho meeting" and "being productive".

-ERD50

Yes. It is indeed a strange feeling to get your last earned check. I remember it well. Of course the better feeling to me is not having to go out and work to get another check. :)

As far as being productive, yes...I feel the need. I keep the home [-]fries[/-] fires burning and volunteer a few hours each week.

I would imagine it's a little unnerving to get your last ever check for earned income. I guess I will know about that in mid-November, myself.
IMO, I don't care how long you plan, how much you figure, how you've finally convinced yourself for the umpteenth time that you are ready to retire.....you will still swallow hard when you get that last check.

All of a sudden it's like..."Uh oh, now I have to live off my savings..." :eek:

But after a little time goes by, it will get easier. :)

Want2, I assume you have already applied for SS. I found that to be the strangest feeling of all. The words "I don't remember growing older" from the song "Sun Rise, Set" sung by Tevye in Fiddler on the Roof came to my mind.

You can be very productive without being paid.

And we've all known some folks who got paid yet weren't very productive!

One does not require the other.

Audrey

Want2, I assume you have already applied for SS. I found that to be the strangest feeling of all. The words "I don't remember growing older" from the song "Sun Rise, Set" sung by Tevye in Fiddler on the Roof came to my mind.

I haven't yet, since I'm only 61 and four months. But I have been having a lot of those "I don't remember growing older" feelings lately, what with retirement in 33 days, my only child getting married in 17 days, and having some other issues related to aging as well. "I don't remember growing older" is exactly what I have been feeling this week. I am sure I'll get past this. As one kind member said in a PM, I have a lot happening all at once but this won't last forever. Sounds like the same is true for you.

Last edited:
Good point Audrey!

Want2- you sure have a lot of life milestones coming up- good luck. My comment on the wedding scene where Tevye sings Sunrise, Sunset in Fiddler on the Roof was pretty approrpiate for you. (I act a lot in our local community theater, so I am into that stuff).

I did a consulting job a while ago and just got my check. I was happy (it was a good size amount) but then I was a little nostalgic in that it most likely was my last ever earned income.
Now that is what fuels my fantasies! :whistle:

When I got my last (FOREVER!!!) check for 'earned income', I was elated! It was at that point that reality hit me......I NEVER have to climb back on the hamster wheel again!!! EVER!!!

(BTW, if there was even the slightest, least little bit of anxiety about it, it was merely that I also would never be able to contribute anymore to my Roth IRA.....and trust me, I got over that VERY quickly!)

Shouldn't I need to feel productive in other ways now. Don't we all want to be "productive"?: productive: "causing or bringing about good"

Ditto what Harley said!!! Having worked for the municipality for 30+ years, IMHO, I've concluded that I've contributed enough to society to last my lifetime. I personally feel no need, desire, or reason for "causing or bringing about good"....unless it directly relates to my gardens, hobbies, interests, or immediate family.

But hey, that's just me! :LOL:

I haven't yet, since I'm only 61 and four months. But I have been having a lot of those "I don't remember growing older" feelings lately, what with retirement in 33 days, my only child getting married in 17 days, and having some other issues related to aging as well. "I don't remember growing older" is exactly what I have been feeling this week. I am sure I'll get past this. As one kind member said in a PM, I have a lot happening all at once but this won't last forever. Sounds like the same is true for you.

When I turned 60, I said I felt like a race car -- 0 to 60 in 8 seconds.

Shouldn't I need to feel productive in other ways now. Don't we all want to be "productive"?: productive: "causing or bringing about good"

When I retired that opened up a position vacancy for someone else. Isn't that being productive? More than a few people feel very lucky that they have a job at all.

My older sister said it hit her too when she realized that her little brother was retired.

When I retired that opened up a position vacancy for someone else. Isn't that being productive?......
A few months before I pulled the plug, they brought a guy in from another department to try to learn my job (lab manager). Then immediately after my departure, they hired TWO more new guys!!! So my contribution was creating openings for 2 [-]suckers[/-] job hunters, and 1 [-]crazed fool[/-] promotion seeker.

My older sister said it hit her too when she realized that her little brother was retired.
Being the youngest of 3 siblings, I got that from my 2 older sibs....both of whom will need to continue working into their late 60's or possibly early 70's. (I guess you could say that they have no knowledge of what "LBYM" means....sad, but none the less true!) :nonono:

Now that is what fuels my fantasies! :whistle:
When our kid earned her first paycheck, I made a copy and framed it.

I left space in the frame for her to someday add her last paycheck.

But anybody can be productive for a paycheck-- the real accomplishment is to be unproductive while still getting a paycheck.

I guess it's also a real skill to be productive while having no financial incentive (or coercion) to do so. So consider yourself elevated from a Pavlovian existence to a higher level...

Back
Top Bottom