Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-22-2015, 10:07 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The BS bucket overflowed so much on Friday that even Joe the Plumber couldn't fix it. So Sat morning had coffee with the president at my request and told him, I am done, cooked, at rope's end. He accepted that I will leave on March 31 instead of the previously determined July 17. He understood completely, although I didn't give him much choice. I feel bad for him--he is not the problem; it's a few batcrap crazy board members. Life is just too short. My dear wife cried with overwhelming joy. My replacement was going to come on board on April 1 anyway part time so that we could have a good transition period. Now she will be taking the reins full time and I will consult a little bit in the next few months to help her. Yahoo. On top of that our application for permanent residency here in Switzerland seems to be moving through the channels more rapidly than we expected. Interview with the police next week is the final step I think. We will dress up and leave our dusty immigrant shoes at home :-) Just wanted to share this happy news with all the good people on the forum! Last night I slept like a baby for the first time in months and months. -BB
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2015, 10:12 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations! My BS bucket overflowed last April when after paying my golf club membership for the new season, realized that my next 6 weekends would be tied up working uncompensated overtime. Played 120 rounds last season with no regrets. Enjoy!
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:15 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats!! Time to update your signature!
Spudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:36 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Barnfellow View Post
The BS bucket overflowed so much on Friday that even Joe the Plumber couldn't fix it. So Sat morning had coffee with the president at my request and told him, I am done, cooked, at rope's end. He accepted that I will leave on March 31 instead of the previously determined July 17. He understood completely, although I didn't give him much choice. I feel bad for him--he is not the problem; it's a few batcrap crazy board members. Life is just too short. My dear wife cried with overwhelming joy. My replacement was going to come on board on April 1 anyway part time so that we could have a good transition period. Now she will be taking the reins full time and I will consult a little bit in the next few months to help her. Yahoo. On top of that our application for permanent residency here in Switzerland seems to be moving through the channels more rapidly than we expected. Interview with the police next week is the final step I think. We will dress up and leave our dusty immigrant shoes at home :-) Just wanted to share this happy news with all the good people on the forum! Last night I slept like a baby for the first time in months and months. -BB
Wow - congrats. And I'm so glad your DW was crying with JOY!!!
Old 02-22-2015, 12:51 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
The BS bucket overflowed so much on Friday that even Joe the Plumber couldn't fix it. So Sat morning had coffee with the president at my request and told him, I am done, cooked, at rope's end. He accepted that I will leave on March 31 instead of the previously determined July 17. He understood completely, although I didn't give him much choice. I feel bad for him--he is not the problem; it's a few batcrap crazy board members. Life is just too short. -BB
Bryan - congratulations! Love the "batcrap crazy board members" reference. Been there, done that, understand your position completely! Agree that life is too short.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:05 PM   #6

Congratulations! You picked a good time to leave. You can sleep in late and de-stress while Spring turns into Summer. Hopefully you will hit summer head on with all engines going full blast! Enjoy your new life.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 01:11 PM   #7

Congratulations! Hope your work time goes quickly!
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 02:48 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations. My DH just retired 2 1/2 weeks ago and he loves it! I think he didn't really realize what a toll megacorp was taking on him. Now he looks so relaxed and we are working on home improvements until next week we start the "retirement trip" in our rv. So excited and can't wait!
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 03:08 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Huge congrats!!
outdoorgirl02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 03:20 PM   #10

That's awesome! Congrats!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:29 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Tears of joy are the best. Congrats BB...to you and your wife! -bbb
Old 02-22-2015, 05:10 PM   #12

Dear everyone,

Thanks for all the very nice responses. Cannot wait to report on the first days of liberation!

-BB
Old 02-22-2015, 05:21 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Very good!

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 05:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Congratulations! You picked a good time to leave. You can sleep in late and de-stress while Spring turns into Summer. Hopefully you will hit summer head on with all engines going full blast! Enjoy your new life.
Such a beautiful thought, Helen. Thanks!

-BB
Old 02-22-2015, 08:30 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats Bryan!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:47 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats Bryan!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Rdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:30 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
o Sat morning had coffee with the president at my request and told him, I am done, cooked, at rope's end. He accepted that I will leave on March 31 instead of the previously determined July 17. He understood completely, although I didn't give him much choice. I feel bad for him--he is not the problem; it's a few batcrap crazy board members. Life is just too short.
That the boldfaced occurred suggests strongly that he wasn't the problem. If he were a toxic boss it wouldn't have ended this well. Often with a toxic and vindictive boss you may have been fought in some way or another, or shown the door immediately.

Best of luck in your new freedom!
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:34 AM   #18

Congrats to the OP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
That the boldfaced occurred suggests strongly that he wasn't the problem. If he were a toxic boss it wouldn't have ended this well. Often with a toxic and vindictive boss you may have been fought in some way or another, or shown the door immediately.
Saw this happen with my boss. One of my peers walks into his office to tender a resignation and the customary 2 weeks notice. Something happens and he is walking out the door in the same hour! The most likely scenario was that the peer mentioned all the BS which are going on (often originates from the boss), argument ensued, and he was asked to leave that hour. When it comes to my time, I plan to go quietly. No need to forgo my two week's pay, and chance to wrap things up with my employees & peers.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:17 PM   #19

I have to stop reading this forum. It makes going to work very difficult for me.
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:47 PM   #20

I'm so happy for you and your wife! Yay!
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote