Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-27-2011, 12:39 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Gosh, PhilAm, you do have a lot of anxiety about the move.

Instead of confronting your demons right now, have you considered a side-ways move? I am thinking of liquidating your assets, conserving your cash, pulling up stakes and trying another place, such as a beach town in Florida (Pensacola or Panama City) for 6 months or so, to get used to retirement. Do not buy property, just find a motel at first, then a room for a while. You have lots of time and the old homestead will still be there in a year or two. You do not HAVE to go back there--not now (not ever, if you do not want to). Go fishing. (Pensacola beach is great for that!) You do not have to plant roots anywhere right now, you just have to get out of NY. Disengage yourself from your present milieu first. Get comfortable. Then decide what to do next.

One step at a time. No giant leaps.

Best of luck, from one who has lived out of a suitcase for many years.

Ed the Gypsy

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2011, 12:46 PM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Another thought--go as if you were a tourist, for a while. Just consider hostels or other temporary situations to start with. You do not have to be an emotional prisoner of your old country.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:58 PM   #83
Dryer sheet aficionado

Noted, Thanks and kudos to your father.

All I could say is if you are having anxiety with just the thought of moving back to the philippines, Wait till you actually live there. I am going back because I love to be there... anyway, as ED said, no need to go and plant roots there if not 100% sure, but if you are, then go for it. No one can say or tell you what you can do. It will always be your desicion. Again, I AM NO INSULTING YOU. just my 2 cents worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilAmerican View Post
Dear Jesaco,

I'm sorry I offended you despite my best efforts. But this is a thread and I was being mindful that I was addressing my words to a larger audience than just yourself.

That my (late) father (not me) belonged to a "landed" family is entirely an accident of history. Do, however, give the man some credit. After all, he married my mother, who was living in the slums of Tondo when he was courting her.

I hope this helps.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:13 PM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Great story Michael. As an expat living in the USA I could go on for hours about the language gaff's that I have made.
Rubbers and fags spring to mind........
Old 09-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Time for some levity!
Quote:
I am compelled to apologize for knowing only one language --- English --- because this is not the norm in the Philippines. I am not considered a native speaker of any language --- including English. And I do not wish to mislead anyone.
The man who speaks three languages is called 'tri-lingual'.
The man who speaks two languages is called 'bi-lingual'.
The man who speaks one language is called 'an American'.

You can't get away from it, bud! Hitch up your jeans, summon your inner John Wayne and take on the world!
Old 09-27-2011, 01:40 PM   #86
Confused about dryer sheets

Dear W2R,

I'm glad you found the list useful.

I believe people are fundamentally the same all over. It is only when accidental differences cannot be forgiven, that trouble starts.

My decision to return to the Philippines was triggered by my boyfriend's decision to move to Vieques, Puerto Rico. I might make a good expat in the Philippines, but I was sure I was not going to make it in Vieques (or in Germany, where I have a sister.)

My boyfriend's decision to leave the US was due to taxes. His decision to move to Vieques was due to the availability of Medicare. I did not put this on my list because it is not relevant to setting up a household. But readers of this thread should also seriously think about this. What are their health issues?

If I had all the money in the world, I would probably choose to stay in upstate NY. Unfortunately, I will probably need all the money in the world just to pay NY's property taxes. So, the Philippines it is.

Happy to be of help.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:14 PM   #87
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Another thought--go as if you were a tourist, for a while. Just consider hostels or other temporary situations to start with. You do not have to be an emotional prisoner of your old country.
Dear Ed,

I seem to have given the impression this early retirement was planned.

It's not the case.

It all started with the house fire X'mas 2007 (the house belonged to my boyfriend) ... re-built a new house July 2008 ... financial melt-down September 2008 ... lost my job December 2008 ... received notice property taxes were doubling April 2009 ... boyfriend lost challenge with Tax Assessor's office November 2009 ... decision to move out of the US mainland April 2010 ... visited Vieques to find a new home September 2010 ... placed home up for sale May 2011 (sold in 4 days) ... decided to not go to Vieques but retire and move to the Philippines instead June 2011 ... moved into my sister's home August 2011 ... flying to the Philippines in November 2011.

That's the short form.

My retirement funds took a big hit during the financial melt-down and I haven't been working since 2008. I will be homeless and broke in two years time here in upstate NY if things continue this way.

Can I find a job in the next two years? Hmmm...will the Republican congress pass Obama's jobs bill before the next presidential election? Hmmm...what happens if Obama is re-elected for another four years? Hmmm

Or should I fly down now to a mortgage-free house in the Philippines (The property taxes are less than $300 a year), where the cost-of-living is half that of Monroe County and start building my dream kitchen?

Hmmm ... I wish I had more time to think this over.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Dear Ed,

I seem to have given the impression this early retirement was planned.

It's not the case.

It all started with the house fire X'mas 2007 (the house belonged to my boyfriend) ... re-built a new house July 2008 ... financial melt-down September 2008 ... lost my job December 2008 ... received notice property taxes were doubling April 2009 ... boyfriend lost challenge with Tax Assessor's office November 2009 ... decision to move out of the US mainland April 2010 ... visited Vieques to find a new home September 2010 ... placed home up for sale May 2011 (sold in 4 days) ... decided to not go to Vieques but retire and move to the Philippines instead June 2011 ... moved into my sister's home August 2011 ... flying to the Philippines in November 2011.

That's the short form.

My retirement funds took a big hit during the financial melt-down and I haven't been working since 2008. I will be homeless and broke in two years time here in upstate NY if things continue this way.

Can I find a job in the next two years? Hmmm...will the Republican congress pass Obama's jobs bill before the next presidential election? Hmmm...what happens if Obama is re-elected for another four years? Hmmm

Or should I fly down now to a mortgage-free house in the Philippines (The property taxes are less than $300 a year), where the cost-of-living is half that of Monroe County and start building my dream kitchen?

Hmmm ... I wish I had more time to think this over.
You don't say or I missed how old you are. That, and how good are your chances of getting a good new job to pay the bills seem to be the key questions.
It may be that your question has been framed too narrowly. While I agree with you 100% that moving to a different nation and different language and completely different social system is a much bigger deal than moving say from Minneapolis to Jacksonville, if you are retirement age and will not need cash earnings it may be worth it to go through the transition.

Ha
Old 09-27-2011, 05:00 PM   #89
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I think you'll have a great life in the Philippines, and the house there you've inherited sounds really nice. It will be a wonderful adventure.
Quote:
And before you bring up the subject, I've seriously considered selling the property and buying a condomium. Unfortunately, I haven't found a condomium yet where I can plant a tree. I need trees to dampen the noise from the neighbours.
Like you, I need trees. My wife and I both love trees and the birds that live in them, and that was a very important consideration for us when we bought our present home. Exchanging your house for a condo sounds like a perfectly awful idea.