Labor Day Weekend

Dawg52

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
What are your plans and did you alter any plans due to the current gas crisis? Fuel is in high demand in MS so I plan to just sit tight. Keep my fingers cross for some power too.  :-\

Thanks for reminding me it's Labor Day Weekend. I almost forgot.

Today I'm running in a relay race.  Heavy emphasis on the big breakfast before and beer drinking/salmon feasting after.

http://www.bellinghamtraverse.com/

Tomorrow I may take the dog to this event and make him howl along with a toy piano in order to win a silly prize.  Or maybe we'll just run around the lake.

http://www.whatcomhumane.org/php/index.php

Monday if the weather holds, kayaking followed by more salmon bbqing and beer drinking, hopefully with some late season sweet corn.

AH......gotta love a long weekend!

I thought of going to Sheboygan, a couple of hours away, to see relatives but decided to stay in town because they were just here this past weekend.

Also, I am tired from staying up really late on Thursday night watching NOLA and Katrina film strips over the Internet.

The price of gas is low on the reasons for not going.

I'll be doing chores around the house leisurely.  Tomorrow night, we'll have friends over, and on Monday, I'll go see more friends on the other side of town.

We actually had a pretty cool Labor Day weekend. My mom flew us to Cali to be part of her early retirement agenda. She took early out from a gov't job. Her coworkers are still wondering how she did it at 55 yo. We went to Disneyland last night (much cooler) and are headed to San Diego today. Nothing like freedom.

Arif said:
We actually had a pretty cool Labor Day weekend. My mom flew us to Cali to be part of her early retirement agenda. She took early out from a gov't job. Her coworkers are still wondering how she did it at 55 yo. We went to Disneyland last night (much cooler) and are headed to San Diego today. Nothing like freedom.

It is not over yet!

SWR

ShokWaveRider said:
It is not over yet!

SWR
We went out to eat Indian food.. got gas...walked with W & Lily..rescued a snaping turtle in the road and placed in our water garden :angel: ... now eating Boca burgers with W while listening to NPR pretty exciting so far...

DanTien said:
We went out to eat Indian food.. got gas...
REWahoo! said:
Yep. That Indian food will definitely do that to you... ;)

REW
I have mentioned there's no gas shortage in my area :dead: and I don't plan on there being any...

We are just hanging around here. DH is doing some "projects" and I am watching him while he works. Supper later at the in laws.

I am trying not to drive unnecessarily as I don't want to contribute to any shortage. The price at the pump does hurt but it's not killing me.

LL

LL said:
We are just hanging around here.  DH is doing some "projects" and I am watching him while he works.  Supper later at the in laws.

I am trying not to drive unnecessarily as I don't want to contribute to any shortage.  The price at the pump does hurt but it's not killing me.

LL

DW is working and I am fishing/loafing (just like about every other day).
Tonight.............toddies on the deck and a very fine dinner, as the sun sets
over the river. Re. fuel....... we are keeping the vehicles topped off, along
with all gas cans, pots, buckets, pails, and Tupperware containers,
just in case. I remember 1974, even if some of you youngsters do not :)

JG

Well it's 4:20pm on a Saturday and I'm at work watching college football and enjoying the a/c. Beats sitting at home with no power. Just got back from Walmart and what a nightmaire that was. Tags from coastal MS and Louisiana all over the place.

Time to pop a cold one since no one here but me.  :D

LL said:
We are just hanging around here.  DH is doing some "projects" and I am watching him while he works.  Supper later at the in laws.

I am trying not to drive unnecessarily as I don't want to contribute to any shortage.  The price at the pump does hurt but it's not killing me.

LL

Hey folks! Happy Labor Day!

Consider this. In the 19th century they had no cars and no need for
gas. Also, no airplanes, no air conditioning, no telephone, no computers,
no health insurance, no social security, etc etc. You were basically on your own. "Oh poor me!" didn't produce much. I can see that Katrina
is a disaster of biblical proportions. Still, a little more "suck it up/rugged
self reliance" would be nice to see, instead of "what is the government
going to do for us?" I know, I know............I am living in the distant
past.

JG

I had/have three piano gigs this weekend! I'm transitioning from trombone to piano, and it's great to get gigs even though I still have a long way to go with my sound.

I made all of $4 at the gig in this picture, but there was a good-sized, appreciative audience.

Attachments

• VanceSeptemberCloseupSmaller.jpg
    VanceSeptemberCloseupSmaller.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 81
TromboneAl said:
I made all of $4 at the gig in this picture, but there was a good-sized, appreciative audience. 
Yeah, but that was AFTER taxes, right? Imagine if you guys had a group healthcare policy... or at least if there was a doctor in the house.

Al, you bear a strong resemblance to the guy who played keyboards with the band on the Norwegian WIND.  His cruise room & board is paid back by working two-three hours a day (including rehearsals).

Just back from a few weeks in Tuscany.  Will not travel any this weekend.  So far, a couple of bike rides for exercise, a short walk to the local pond for some fishing ... no bites, the water is too clear so we can see the fish and they can see us.  Some yard work, some reading and some volunteer work.

Just the usual weekend stuff.

Wow - - you got paid:confused: ;)

Used to get $200-300 a night in bars back in the '70s; 'bout the same now... :'(

TromboneAl said:
I had/have three piano gigs this weekend!  I'm transitioning from trombone to piano, and it's great to get gigs even though I still have a long way to go with my sound.

Al, how is the transition going?  Have you played piano long or is this a recent undertaking?    Cool hat, too, btw. ;)

It's going really well. Here's an excerpt of my playing at the gig on Sunday. This gig was a hoity-toity party at a spendthrift's house (e.g. they bought matching Lexus's). I was subbing for a piano player who couldn't make it.

I played piano a lot by ear as a kid, and took a year of lessons around 1988, and worked hard at it, but went back to trombone when I decided I was never going to be a good sightreader on piano.

August 2004 my shoulder was bothering me from too much trombone playing, and I've been working hard at piano ever since. I've found that there's a lot of demand for even mediocre piano players.

Good for you! I'm always impressed with anyone who can play by ear. I can't do more than pick out a tune, but I can sight read just about anything. Comes from 12 years of going to my piano lesson without any practice and faking it!

Just the opposite...can't sight read for ****............

Play everything buy ear/memory/feel; but then, don't need much sheet music for "Freebird". :duh:

Love the music Al.

My son is a guitarist and has to take 3 piano classes to get his AA in Music. He just started his first class and loves it.
I'll play this for him.

Back
Top Bottom