Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Land search just got serious!
Old 10-28-2008, 07:13 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Land search just got serious!

Last week DM amazed us all. She sent a handwritten letter from my Dad (passed away in February) and a check for $10k to each of her four sons. In the letter it said there would be another $10k in January. Apparently they had been planning this for a while. The instructions say they are giving it to us early in an effort to distribute it to their sons instead of some nursing home. And since Dad died suddenly of a stroke the plan is working so far. They want us to use it for something important to us, not squander it on a trip to Vegas or whatever.

Anyway, with that added to what we are now able to save on our own each month we'll have a $30k down payment for our little slice of homesteading heaven come April 15th. So we now have a realtor searching for suitable land for our little farm. And if it takes longer to find it we'll just be adding about $1500 a month to the down payment. Win-win situation.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2008, 08:53 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It's nice when the good guys win one, isn't it?

Would this homestead include room for more chickens?...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:23 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

More chickens, a half dozen dairy goats, a few cows (and an ox for draft use), and about a dozen pigs.

The eventual plan is to grow enough pasture fed, natural meats for sale that I will be able to feed my family for free by skimming a little off the top.

But I'm not waiting that long. Next spring I will be adding another movable pen and rotating at least two flocks, maybe three, of meat birds through over the summer. I estimate that 60 birds will give us chicken at least once a week, every week for a complete year, and we'll still have the laying hens living in Cluckingham Palace.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:28 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'll admit I am envious. There is something satisfying about harvesting something from your own land and eating it. I am looking forward to growing our own fruit and vegetables in the future. The taste of a fresh tomato warm off the vine straight to your sandwich is so delicious.

We had chickens growing up, I remember being terrified of having to collect the eggs because I am sure they sensed my fear - they would always peck at me - and who can forget the feeling of chicken poo running thru their toes - we never wore shoes.

We also had pigs, they were so friendly, the piglets amused us for hours. I also remember going rabbit trapping with my dad, hmm rabbit stew.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:34 AM   #5

In times like these when there's so much turmoil and uncertainty all around, it's great to see someone's dreams and plans falling into place!!! Congratulations on being so much closer to making your dreams come true!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherneckPA View Post
........and an ox for draft use..........
Wow, even an ox especially for hauling the beer kegs to the house! What will they think of next?!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:44 AM   #6

Leatherneck, congrats and best wishes on your admirable goal!!
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:14 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Leatherneck, you'll soon be living our dream. We're hoping to have a small farm sometime in the next 10 years. I'm so glad it's happening for you, soon!

Congratulations!

P.S. Don't forget water rights!
Old 10-28-2008, 03:46 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations Leatherneck....welcome to my world.

Hugs.
slimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:23 PM   #9

Congrats.

BTW, how much 'homesteading heaven' will $10K (or whatever you intend to spend) buy?
Old 10-28-2008, 07:56 PM   #10

Quote:
... we'll still have the laying hens living in Cluckingham Palace.
LOL What a great name for a hen-house!
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:50 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Awesome! Have you looked into the Pastured Poultry Producers Association? The grass fed movement will be a home-run for you--I am sure. What a fun retirement plan--I too am jealous! Dairy goats, too; that is fantastic. Goat milk cheese and soap are very popular, as well.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:32 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
how much 'homesteading heaven' will $10K (or whatever you intend to spend) buy?
Our intent is to put down between $25k and $30k. We'd like to find at least 10 acres around $60k, but for the right parcel would be willing to go up to $125k. That would have to be absolutely perfect though, meeting every single criteria we have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Awesome! Have you looked into the Pastured Poultry Producers Association? The grass fed movement will be a home-run for you--I am sure. What a fun retirement plan--I too am jealous! Dairy goats, too; that is fantastic. Goat milk cheese and soap are very popular, as well.
Pastured poultry, beef, and pork all figure into the plan for this venture. Around here folks are willing to spend over $50 each for a pastured, non-hormoned (yeah, I know it's not a real word), clean turkeys for their holiday meals. Prices on chickens are between $2 and $2.50 per pound for cleaned and dressed chickens. I haven't even started to research what we can get for the beef or pork yet.

Probably one of the greatest incentives (even more than feeding ourselves clean food) is the idea of making it possible for my grandson to grow up in that sort of self-sufficient environment, learning what he will need to know as the "civilized world" continues it's downward spiral of self destruction. (WOW, does that ever sound "doom-n-gloomy"!!)
Old 10-29-2008, 06:53 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Man o man you are living my dream world, Mike! Ever since I read the Omnivore's Dilemma, I have been way impressed by this kind of farming. I certainly spend the money on pastured pork, beef, and chicken, and you can tell a difference, big time!

And of course I am sure you are factoring game meat into your diet and into your grandson's education at the new homestead--a book I first learned about here, called Merle's Door: Lessons from a Freethinking Dog addresses the author's desire to eat meat that had not been raised on chemicals and tells of his decision that hunting would fulfill that need. Very thought provoking book, on a number of levels.

I am just delighted that you are going into this full-bore, and hope that you factor into your plan the idea of mail order shipping frozen meat! I for one would love to include you in the list of farmers from whom I buy over the internet.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:55 PM   #14
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:

Pastured poultry, beef, and pork all figure into the plan for this venture. Around here folks are willing to spend over $50 each for a pastured, non-hormoned (yeah, I know it's not a real word), clean turkeys for their holiday meals. Prices on chickens are between $2 and $2.50 per pound for cleaned and dressed chickens. I haven't even started to research what we can get for the beef or pork yet.
I will say I pay more for eggs and cheese and meat from local farmers. Friday I am going to pay ~$40 for a free range, custom cut turkey.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Our intent is to put down between $25k and $30k. We'd like to find at least 10 acres around $60k, but for the right parcel would be willing to go up to $125k. That would have to be absolutely perfect though, meeting every single criteria we have.
Wow. $6K per acre. We own some very good farmland here in western Canada, probably wouldn't bring $750 per acre.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:40 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just because there's envy being expressed here, I thought I'd counterbalance that be saying that your plan sounds more like a nightmare than a dream.

But then I grew up on a 500+ acre farm with 200+ cows, can't stand gardening, and am really lazy to boot. More power to you, but man that type of life would send the bad type of shivers down my spine...
Kronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:16 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
hope that you factor into your plan the idea of mail order shipping frozen meat! I for one would love to include you in the list of farmers from whom I buy over the internet.
Now THAT is a completely NEW thought for me. It never even occurred to me. It might just bear more research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Wow. $6K per acre. We own some very good farmland here in western Canada, probably wouldn't bring $750 per acre.
Ah yes, but what you lack in land value you make up for with SNOW!! Actually, $6k won't be all that easy to find around here. I used to pass a parcel on my way to the prison that was roadside advertised as "2 building lots, 2 acres each, $64,000 each". And 1/2 acre building lots around here typically sell for about $22k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
man that type of life would send the bad type of shivers down my spine...
LOL, I can relate to that. Sometimes I find me asking myself, "Self, what the heck are YOU thinking?" Then I crack open a couple of those backyard eggs or have one of those monster chicken breasts for supper and all my questions are answered.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:02 AM   #18
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
LOL What a great name for a hen-house!
Guess what they call the local cat house.
honobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:37 PM   #19
Dryer sheet wannabe

...and mineral rights! You never know what you will find on your land. You might want to wait a little longer because real estate prices are coming down fast in the cities and the rural areas will follow not long after...
Texican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:57 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
More chickens, a half dozen dairy goats, a few cows (and an ox for draft use), and about a dozen pigs.

The eventual plan is to grow enough pasture fed, natural meats for sale that I will be able to feed my family for free by skimming a little off the top.

But I'm not waiting that long. Next spring I will be adding another movable pen and rotating at least two flocks, maybe three, of meat birds through over the summer. I estimate that 60 birds will give us chicken at least once a week, every week for a complete year, and we'll still have the laying hens living in Cluckingham Palace.
Bo Pilgrim lives in Cluckingham Palace, not you.
And he in in the process of going BK.
theloneranger is offline   Reply With Quote