Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-17-2010, 07:26 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You mean what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas?
It better or my goose is cooked!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2010, 07:50 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
I think you mean St, George, UT. You also forgot Mt. Charleston .
Oh, um... I simply combined Mt. Charleston with St. George and came up with St. Charles. Yeah -- that's the ticket.

But I agree that there is a lot there once you get past the neon and brothel coupons (for facilities outside of Clark County only). It's gonna be a fun place to visit.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:11 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Rich, rent, or RV, but don't buy in LV.....

The 13 Housing Markets That Will Never Recover
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:18 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting list, Meadbh. You never know, but my gut tells me Orlando will be back. LV may be questionable. Toledo? Hard to see a bright side...

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:12 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
.............Toledo? Hard to see a bright side...

Toledo is where Detroiters go to party.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:40 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I wouldn't drive an RV to the Bay Area unless I arrived about 10 PM when the traffic abated.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:48 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

For an opposing view...

Quote:
Home prices in Las Vegas are down by 60 percent from 2006 in one of the steepest descents in modern times. There are 9,517 spanking new houses sitting empty. An additional 5,600 homes were repossessed by lenders in the first three months of this year and could soon be for sale.

Yet builders here are putting up 1,100 homes, and they are frantically buying lots for even more.
After Housing Bust, Builders Dust Off the Boom Machine - NYTimes.com
Old 05-18-2010, 11:07 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

My parents have a Del Webb home in Vegas (Dad works 20 weeks a year there) and they love it. They don't ever gamble, go to shows, or do any of the other things people on vacation go there for, but they enjoy the clean suburbs, access to services, proximity to outdoor activities. Spring and Fall weather is great in Vegas. Your next trip there in July will be pretty hot, though. Do outdoor stuff before 7am!
lightspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:08 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I love sports betting, both downtown and on the strip.

But I don't think I would like living there. It is about one thing and one thing only, getting people's money as quickly as possible.

Ha
Old 05-18-2010, 12:30 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Last year when we were in LV for a week, we stayed at a nice suite by exchanging our timeshare, and it was about 4 mi south of the strip. Because we have been to LV a few times already, we went to the strip only about 3 times, and spent time going to the outdoor places that R-i-T mentioned, and also visited the Lake Las Vegas area out of curiosity.

I came away knowing a bit more about the surrounding area of LV than on earlier visits. Nevada's rainfall must be even lower than AZ, and the landscape reflects that. Vegetation on Mt. Charleston is so sparse, compared to the high country of AZ. No, if I leave AZ, it is to move to the NW, just like my screen name pronounces.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:58 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

Never is a looooong time, so here is another statistical slant to think about maybe. Where the jobs and growth will be by 2030:

Job Growth by City and State - Cities with the Most Job Growth | MintLife Blog | Personal Finance News & Advice
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:35 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We had a weather man tell us the the most unstable air in the country was over Vegas and if it ever got enough moisture there would be h&ll to pay.

Also in the early 70's the construction of homes was so shoddy that a friend of ours awoke in the morning and saw the grass growing from his bedroom at the base of his bedroom wall. The wall was not connected to the foundation!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:36 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I read your post about the problems of living in Las Vegas. But your negative statements don't seem to jibe with what several of my friends who have lived there many years have to say. They love living in Las Vegas. They never go to the Strip. They feel safe and secure in their middle-class suburbs, where they feel that crime is almost nonexistant.

On average, LV might be a poor place to live, I don't know. So if you retire there and can only afford to live at an average location, you probably should go elsewhere. If you have enough money to live a middle-class lifestyle, then LV would probably be a great place for you.
ScottFromUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:40 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Oh, um... I simply combined Mt. Charleston with St. George and came up with St. Charles. Yeah -- that's the ticket.

But I agree that there is a lot there once you get past the neon and brothel coupons (for facilities outside of Clark County only). It's gonna be a fun place to visit.
I was sitting here in my St. George (UT) home, reading this thread and wondering where St. Charles was. I had never heard of it. A quick Google search showed me that indeed there is a St. Charles, Utah. I learned something.

But I'm glad to find out that you meant St. George, a absolutely marvelous place to live and play, near gorgeous state and national parks, many golf course, amazing jogging and biking paths, and other amenities for retirees who want to stay active. I love St. George.
ScottFromUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:55 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFromUtah View Post
But I'm glad to find out that you meant St. George, a absolutely marvelous place to live and play, near gorgeous state and national parks, many golf course, amazing jogging and biking paths, and other amenities for retirees who want to stay active. I love St. George.
There was a former board member (and erstwhile moderator) named SteveR who kept a beautiful luxury RV in your area and raved about it. I don't think he is active here any more. Anyone heard from him?

Sounded like the proverbial God's Country.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:01 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There was a former board member (and erstwhile moderator) named SteveR who kept a beautiful luxury RV in your area and raved about it. I don't think he is active here any more. Anyone heard from him?
I haven't heard from him, but I believe he still visits the board now and then.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:10 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I miss SteveR.

Now listen up Rich...don't be gettin' any ideas and disappear from this forum. I do not look my best with a frown on my face.