Last Appointment

DerbyCity

Dryer sheet wannabe
I have worked for a large insurance company since 1974. My last day is 1/11/13. For all of those years, I have visited thousands of clients. My job involved helping our commercial clients identify potential loss exposures and developing plans to control the exposure or mitigate loss should it occur (i.e. employee safety, fleet safety, property protection, etc).

Yesterday was my last appointment with a client. It felt kind of surreal going through the meeting with the thought in the back of my mind that this was the last one. That thought popped into my mind several times during my appointment.

Prior to this meeting, I didn't know if I would be laughing or crying when I left. I hopped in the car yesterday, drove about 5 miles and started laughing my b*tt off. :LOL:

I was wondering how others felt when they realized they had done a task for the "last time".

38 years of service! What a huge impact you've made in peoples' safety, an impact that is largely unknowable. You should feel proud.

I love your response to that last appointment. Enjoy your retirement!

I think my responses to last time events were mostly relief and a big grin on my face and maybe a sigh or two. :)

I have worked for a large insurance company since 1974. My last day is 1/11/13. For all of those years, I have visited thousands of clients. My job involved helping our commercial clients identify potential loss exposures and developing plans to control the exposure or mitigate loss should it occur (i.e. employee safety, fleet safety, property protection, etc).

Yesterday was my last appointment with a client. It felt kind of surreal going through the meeting with the thought in the back of my mind that this was the last one. That thought popped into my mind several times during my appointment.

Prior to this meeting, I didn't know if I would be laughing or crying when I left. I hopped in the car yesterday, drove about 5 miles and started laughing my b*tt off. :LOL:

I was wondering how others felt when they realized they had done a task for the "last time".
Laughing like that probably added 5 years to your life. Nice way to approach the final days at work. Hope the rest are just good.

It must be a common reaction.
The day I retired from active duty, I went to have my photo taken for my new "retired" military ID card. The photographer commented that he loved doing this, because we always had the most enormous smiles on our faces.

I looked at my new card and sure enough, he was absolutely right. Probably the biggest grin that ever crossed my face!

I am looking forward to the day I can answer this question.

For now, all I can do is add to the chorus of congratulations and good luck.

Congratulations! Keep laughing and enjoy your retirement!!

I left my office for the last time last night. As I walked out my office door and into the corridor, my employees emerged from their offices and workspaces and gave me an ovation that I will never forget. I choked up and could not speak.

That said, last week, I had my last sr mgmt meeting overseas. I couldn't wipe the grin from my face with all the washcloths, wet wipes, industrial strength makeup remover and bath towels in the hotel.

For me, it has been mixed emotions all the way. I smile at the things I will no longer miss, I tend to get choked up when I see people/employees I have served and who I will miss.

R

I left my office for the last time last night. As I walked out my office door and into the corridor, my employees emerged from their offices and workspaces and gave me an ovation that I will never forget. I choked up and could not speak.

That said, last week, I had my last sr mgmt meeting overseas. I couldn't wipe the grin from my face with all the washcloths, wet wipes, industrial strength makeup remover and bath towels in the hotel.

For me, it has been mixed emotions all the way. I smile at the things I will no longer miss, I tend to get choked up when I see people/employees I have served and who I will miss.

R

Thank you for sharing this. I'm sure you'll remember this moment forever. It's not easy letting go, even when you're ready in every way.

R

You done good Rambler. Lots of good memories. Time to pack up, come home, and start a wonderful new phase of your life!

:flowers:

Congratulations, Rambler.

Rambler

Wow...well said. I could not avoid the last day "retirement party" scheduled for1/10/12 . I think the difference you touched on is the one between your last "task" and the folks paying their respects for all that you have done and what you meant to them along the way.

I am comfortable walking away from the "tasks", but not so comfortable walking away from the folks.

I imagine my reaction will be similar to yours.

Good folks don't pay their respects to those who have not earned it. I'm sure their feelings were well founded.

I left my office for the last time last night. As I walked out my office door and into the corridor, my employees emerged from their offices and workspaces and gave me an ovation that I will never forget. I choked up and could not speak....
R

Although I'm often poor at it, I like to read between the lines of posts and I have always gotten the impression that not only do you seem to be a stand-up guy, you also seem to be that incredibly rare great manager/boss (the reason we have all had some terrible bosses over the years is that being a good boss is really difficult). Not surprised at the ovation, and I imagine your staff was choking back tears too.

R
Memories for a lifetime. It must have been enjoyable to work with you. :)

There were tears all around being squelched the best we could. I'll be the first to admit not being a perfect boss, but I did try my best. I think it all boils down to a few very simple, very basic concepts: respect, responsibility, honesty, and integrity, coupled with a cool head, a warm heart, and working hands. Of course, you need to know your specialty, but the foregoing are leadership concepts that are indispensable. This is how I have tried to live my life and lead my colleagues...I'm a very simple guy. And you know, I had the best colleagues in the world, for the most part.

R

There were tears all around being squelched the best we could. I'll be the first to admit not being a perfect boss, but I did try my best. I think it all boils down to a few very simple, very basic concepts: respect, responsibility, honesty, and integrity, coupled with a cool head, a warm heart, and working hands. Of course, you need to know your specialty, but the foregoing are leadership concepts that are indispensable. This is how I have tried to live my life and lead my colleagues...I'm a very simple guy. And you know, I had the best colleagues in the world, for the most part.
I have no doubt whatsoever that you were an excellent boss and the folks who worked for you were truly sad to see you go. Better the devil you know... (just kidding! :LOL:).

As an aside, it is interesting to observe the difference in the retirement process for those higher in the 'corporate food chain' vs. the rank and file. A couple of my former bosses, both at the CEO level when they retired, had far more difficulty in the transition than me. My take is that it was difficult for them to adjust to their perceived loss of status once they no longer had a large organization to oversee.

As tough as the transition was for them, I'll wager the adjustment was far more difficult for their spouses.

All the best to you - and your DW. :)

Wow, now that is special. You must have been one heck of a boss. Congrats on your retirement.

I got a few claps and fist pumps when I walked out the door. Didn't see any tears though. :blink:

I think it all boils down to a few very simple, very basic concepts: respect, responsibility, honesty, and integrity, coupled with a cool head, a warm heart, and working hands. Of course, you need to know your specialty, but the foregoing are leadership concepts that are indispensable. This is how I have tried to live my life and lead my colleagues...I'm a very simple guy. And you know, I had the best colleagues in the world, for the most part.

R

Totally agree, plus the ability to maintain a sense of humor, even when the going gets tough, are indispensible ingredients to success. Well done Rambler!

I was driving home from the airport after my last meeting out of state. It struck me that this would be the last time I would be doing this drive unless it was for vacation travel. I started laughing hysterically - people in cars around me must of thought I had popped a bolt! What a GREAT release and relief! :dance:

Enjoy this time in your life!

R

Sounds like my previous boss at MegaCorp. Most of the team is still intact after 12 years, mainly because of him. Good leaders never go away, as they are always remembered by their colleagues. Congratulations on your retirement Rambler!

Back
Top Bottom