Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm so envious! Enjoy your future!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Last day
Old 06-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

Last day

I had already checked out on all HR related items and retirement party was already done so instead of going in and leaving at noon, I went for a nice bike ride with my wife and went in at 1:00. A few good byes and a couple of emails later I walked out the door a free man at 3:00. The best part was being asked to come to the monthly staff meeting this evening one last time which runs from 5:30 to infinity. I just laughed and my administrator laughed with me because I am sure she wishes she didn't have to go either. Off to dinner in awhile with friends and then it is time to go chase some tennis balls.

Jackson

Old 06-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #23

Congratulations, Jackson D. Enjoy chasing those tennis balls!
Old 06-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #24

I add my congrats as well, Jackson. Your story reminds me of my not-so-distant retirement (coming up on 7 years now). If I could offer one piece of advice (make it a suggestion): Don't wait to start "living" your retirement dream. Start right away. The days and years will slip by so quickly it will make your head spin (as you look in the rear-view mirror of life). Go for it because YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #25
Administrator

Woo-hoo!! Congratulations!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congrats Jackson!!
Old 06-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakuna matata View Post
Actually I am curious if Jackson did this--both the people I mentioned in my post above went in for their last day, but both were gone about an hour after they went in. At that stage what is anyone going to say? Your fired? They had nothing to do as all their work had been transferred to their replacements, so they went in, stopped by and said goodbye to everyone and left. Sounds about right to me!
Depending on the company, it's the only way to avoid the "surprise party" or the boss' version of a surprise: "Oh, I'm glad you're still here, we need you to..."

Somehow my chain of command formed the impression that my last day in the office was the day after my actual last day. Of course I have no idea how they formed this impression, but for my sake it was a darn good thing that they formed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson D View Post
... the monthly staff meeting this evening one last time which runs from 5:30 to infinity.
That's just nuts. That's not a meeting, that's a punishment.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations! I can't wait to join you!
Old 06-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #29

Congratulations! Jackson D
Let us know how many days it takes to get that smile off your face?
Steve
Old 06-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson D View Post
Woke up at 5:00AM today thinking about what comes next. I've been planning ER for many years and it officially starts tomorrow. I basically started working at age 13 and feel like I am 13 again because now I can do whatever I want to and the possibilities are endless. I used to have a dog that loved chasing tennis balls that I would throw. He would run out ahead and at times I had to hold him back to let the ball get farther away. He would just be trembling with excitement waiting for me to let him go and when I did he was off like a rocket doing one of the things he loved best.

That is how I feel today,

Jackson
Jackson, this is one of the most beautiful things I have ever read.

And congratulations!
Old 06-12-2012, 10:59 PM   #31

Nice story, and congrats, Jackson!

My last day was not a leisurely one. My tummy was upset in the morning before I left for my last train ride (YAY) but it calmed down. I was under some pressure to finish up a long project by the end of the day, which I did about 45 minutes before I left. As the train on my return trip was nearing my home station, I struggled to hold back openly sobbing in front of everyone. I let out a big "I'm Free!" when I entered my apartment following the short walk home. It was at that momnent I knew I was DONE.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:58 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakuna matata View Post
Actually I am curious if Jackson did this--both the people I mentioned in my post above went in for their last day, but both were gone about an hour after they went in. At that stage what is anyone going to say? Your fired? They had nothing to do as all their work had been transferred to their replacements, so they went in, stopped by and said goodbye to everyone and left. Sounds about right to me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I left about 2pm on my last day. I could have left whenever I wanted, but I used that morning to thank (select) folks one on one. Had a dinner with my 8 favorite employees the night before, and others took me to lunch my last day. Cake in the conf room about 1:30pm, short thank you/good luck speech, general goodbyes and out the door for the last time.
I waited until 4:30, and that was my second day of training my replacement (long story). Mega-corp had a policy of $X for a bye-bye gift. I asked for ( and got) the money required ability to invite my work friends to a local bar and buy the beer. Got home at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:01 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc
Congratulations! Jackson D
Let us know how many days it takes to get that smile off your face?
Steve
Probably best to use years for this measurement!

Jackson, congratulations and hope you have great fun throughout your retirement.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:40 AM   #34

That's great Jackson! You planned and worked for this... and now it's come true!

There are a few monumental days in a person's life. Getting married, (divorced, too?), kids being born, parents passing, graduating from HS and college, grandkids, and retiring, (and not ever having to work again)! Did I miss any?

Woo Hoo!

OK...now all us gumshoes reading this at work...GET BACK TO WORK!