Join Early Retirement Today

Learning Spanish
Old 07-04-2014, 06:52 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Learning Spanish

Mods I have searched for a thread or post on this subject but couldn't find one. please move if needed. I would like to learn Spanish and would welcome suggestions about how to learn on my own. If you have tried any programs and found them helpful or not I'd like to hear about it. Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2014, 07:10 AM   #2

This will get more responses in a separate thread, so I moved it. Here are a few threads you may find interesting

Learning another language

Spanish Immersion program in Nicaragua

Anybody care to learn a new language?

Poll: Learning a new language in ER

Old 07-04-2014, 02:29 PM   #3
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancer373 View Post
Mods I have searched for a thread or post on this subject but couldn't find one. please move if needed. I would like to learn Spanish and would welcome suggestions about how to learn on my own. If you have tried any programs and found them helpful or not I'd like to hear about it. Thanks in advance.
I use a free online Spanish program called duo lingo. You can download it to smartphone or computer. Duolingo.com
Old 07-04-2014, 06:14 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I took a 10-week class at the local community college, and also listened to Pimsleur CDs while I was driving. Went to Mexico the week after the class ended, and I had a blast. So much more fun when I could communicate, even if still at a very basic level.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:01 PM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

I had a thread about learning Russian, and someone told me about the sites Conversationexchange.com, italki.com. italki.com has some free conversation exchanges or good value private lessons on skype, some with qualified teachers and some with 'community' tutors. I haven't retired yet so haven't used them yet, but they look really good.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:48 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Watch Spanish cartoons.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:53 AM   #7
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancer373 View Post
I also want to learn Spanish and started with DuoLingo and one other program. However, I also am taking private lessons for one hour two times a week. I found that the internet based programs are good for vocabulary, particularly nouns, but that having a real person help with learning verbs and their various tenses was much better than the internet
Old 07-07-2014, 10:04 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife is on her way to semi-fluency in Spanish. She likes Duolingo and Rosetta Stone. And she has taken a few courses as well.

We have had a place in the Baja since 1989, so we are embarrassingly late in learning the locals language. Once I ER, I am going to make a concerted effort to learn Spanish.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:02 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Veintemundos.com is a great, free site for intermediate learners. "Slow News in Spanish" requires a subscription, but is very nice (they have French and Italian versions too.)
Old 07-07-2014, 05:20 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
Veintemundos.com is a great, free site for intermediate learners. "Slow News in Spanish" requires a subscription, but is very nice (they have French and Italian versions too.)
This is a great idea. Topical stuff, with little slang.

A fellow in Azerbaijan wanted to learn English by listening to the BBC and CNN news, but they talked too fast for him. The local British embassy has a link to a similar service in English, which I passed on to him.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
apologies for hijacking the thread
Old 07-07-2014, 05:27 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

apologies for hijacking the thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
My wife is on her way to semi-fluency in Spanish. She likes Duolingo and Rosetta Stone. And she has taken a few courses as well.

We have had a place in the Baja since 1989, so we are embarrassingly late in learning the locals language. Once I ER, I am going to make a concerted effort to learn Spanish.
Sea Kayaker, as an old hand, where would you suggest for a long-term stay in Baja? From your handle, I imagine you might be partial to the Sea of Cortez.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:23 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Sea Kayaker, as an old hand, where would you suggest for a long-term stay in Baja? From your handle, I imagine you might be partial to the Sea of Cortez.
Well, our place is in Los Cabos, at the very southern tip of the Baja Peninsula. Definitely within the "touristy" areas - though we are in the quieter town of San Jose del Cabo vs the raucous Cabo San Lucas. If you prefer contemplative solitude, I would check out the East Cape which is up the Sea of Cortez side of the peninsula. My wife and I like to take a Jeep and explore this largely untouched area once in a while - miles and miles of white sand beaches with not a soul to be seen. There are quite a few "off grid" places you can rent long term here.

For our particular hobby, the Sea of Cortez is much preferable to the wild and woolly Pacific side.... though the town of Todos Santos is a beautiful jewel to visit on that side of the Baja.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:46 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Great thread. I'm looking to brush up my college French and pick up some basic Spanish and Russian.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:11 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One time I was in France for about ten days (what a great country!). I was way down south, far from Paris.

I forgot all the French I'd learned except this (don't beat on me for misspelling):

"Je suis Americain
Je ne parle pas Francais
Parlez-vous Anglais?"

They'd ask:

"En peu?"

I'd raise my arms to indicate "no". The rest of the conversation was just smiling at each other

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:33 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Another excellent free website for finding language partners to practice with is:

The Mixxer - a free educational website for language exchanges via Skype | The Mixxer