Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #41
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Reminds me of the time I got paired with two younger, bigger guys in their 20s's (my golf partner had to cancel out at the last minute and the course was busy so they were pairing folks up). They were outhitting me off of the tee 60-70 yards but were ending up all over the place but the fairway. My drives were shorter but getting onto the fairway and I would get to the green about the same time or just after they were on. After around the 6th hole I apologized as I thought I was slowing them down, and one said "are you kidding? You're getting on the fairway! I wish we could do that!" That is when I started realizing that distance was less important than accuracy.

Exactly my point and the point of the book I was reading. Anyone can hit the ball hard. Not everyone can control that swing. Another point that Jack Nicholas makes is your swing from tee to chip shot should be the same. That central arc and coiling of the body are the same using the #1 wood to the pitching wedge. The clubs are your distance marker. Once you know what your max distance is per club you can then adjust your swing for those in between distances. There are so many books on how to get more distance or accuracy. The real important part of the swing is comfort. If your swing is unnatural and uncomfortable you will not be consistent. Once you get consistency that is when the game becomes fun.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2013, 09:07 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfingDuo View Post
Exactly my point and the point of the book I was reading. Anyone can hit the ball hard. Not everyone can control that swing. Another point that Jack Nicholas makes is your swing from tee to chip shot should be the same.
I learned to golf back in the 70's from Nicklaus's book 'Golf My Way'. It was his philosophy, which he got from Jack Grout, that one should first learn to swing as fast as possible while maintaining balance, then learn to control the ball afterwards. Greg Norman also shared this philosophy (he learned to golf from Golf My Way), it seemed to serve them both well. Whether it's good advice for someone in retirement trying to learn to golf I'm not sure. Not everyone can swing fast, some of it is just the natural ability you're given.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:09 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been playing golf for 42 years. I got my handicap down to a 6 last summer but I will never see that again. It is now a as winter golf does not like me. I play four times a week in a group of anywhere from 8 to 24.

We all play to our handicap. We put up $15 each round and then make up the teams. We play team and individual , also play skins on the par 3's. Some days there is $60 just in skins. I have won many times so I keep above water on this.

I started these groups before I retired so I could be sure I would have people to play with. I really look forward to these four days of golf, Wednesday and Friday at Noon and Sat and Sun at 9 am. Very rarely we miss these days because I live in the south. I just could never play by myself and I do not like to practice. I worked as a golf superintendent for many years so I just about seem every skill golfer there is.

I would suggest for anyone wanting to learn this game to brush up on golf etiquette to help keep the game enjoyable. The only thing I hate is I have lost so much distance off the tee since I got into my 60's. I am working on that now and hope by the summer I will be back hitting it 250 again. Right now I do good to hit it 210. On most days I still take the young people's money even though they out hit me sometimes 60 yards. They just keep trying, I know soon that will end but for now I am enjoying it. .

You should love this game. We have people playing our course who are in their late 80's so it is a game for a lifetime. oldtrig
Old 02-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

There are many good golf books out there which deal with attiude/psych. versus mechanics. Check out Harvey Penick, Dr. Bob Rotella books. I find these books quite enjoyable to read.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:14 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I learned to golf back in the 70's from Nicklaus's book 'Golf My Way'. It was his philosophy, which he got from Jack Flick, that one should first learn to swing as fast as possible while maintaining balance, then learn to control the ball afterwards. Greg Norman also shared this philosophy (he learned to golf from Golf My Way), it seemed to serve them both well. Whether it's good advice for someone in retirement trying to learn to golf I'm not sure. Not everyone can swing fast, some of it is just the natural ability you're given.
Swing tempo is important and something I occasionally struggle with. It is amazing to me that they pros can take such a wicked swing, particularly off the tee, and still consistently make good contact. I would be all over the place if I swung that hard.

It amazes me sometimes when I'm making a lay up and swinging easy how far the ball goes compared to my regular tempo.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:17 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Swing tempo is important and something I occasionally struggle with. It is amazing to me that they pros can take such a wicked swing, particularly off the tee, and still consistently make good contact. I would be all over the place if I swung that hard.

It amazes me sometimes when I'm making a lay up and swinging easy how far the ball goes compared to my regular tempo.
How true for me - layup shots are my best shots. No pressure usually results in good/great results in golf. Maybe I need to start taking beta blockers.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut

How true for me - layup shots are my best shots. No pressure usually results in good/great results in golf. Maybe I need to start taking beta blockers.
Yep, the space between my ears... I am about an 8 handicapper and my playing partner is a 2. So when we play straight up, I need some holes. But when we play 1 man scramble against each other, I usually play 4-6 under par, and we play straight up as that is all he can do. In stroke play I usually have a couple "blow up" holes. In scramble I play relaxed knowing I have 2 swings.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #48

This thread has just about motivated me to go schedule another lesson...

I am not / have never been athletic in any way (other than walking a few miles at a fast clip). I have always wanted to play golf, so when I ER'd, I took the advice of some acquaintances and started with indoor lessons and range practice, then joined a ladies' golf group and went out to learn how to play a course. Great concept, except that my poor swing went pathetic after a couple of months and I have no lift/distance regardless of club. I played 9 holes with DS in January and hit only 2 decent shots the entire day (not including putts, which I actually do OK at, from many years of putt-putt). I know it's a mechanics issue with my downswing, but my previous instructor was unable to help correct it despite video, etc. It has been suggested I go to a female instructor, so maybe I'll give that a try. I really enjoy being out on the course, but not whacking the ball 50 yards at a time down the fairway (at least it goes straight!).
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:49 PM   #49

Read Ben Hogans Five Fundamentals of Golf. A friend who was in his 40s became single digit handicap in two years with just this instruction manual.
You start just gripping the club correctly for several months before you move on.
Hogan was a stickler for detail.
I love the game. Right now I'm at a four day USGA seminar on the Rules. Technical but beautiful.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:05 AM   #50
gone traveling

Haven't taken up golf yet. Still trying to work out whether to buy left handed or right handed clubs
Old 02-25-2013, 04:54 AM   #51
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags View Post
Haven't taken up golf yet. Still trying to work out whether to buy left handed or right handed clubs
Go to a pro center and try both. They can let you know your best swing. If nothing else there are more righties than lefties.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:23 AM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

As the saying goes, "don't hit it harder, hit it better". Solid contact trumps clubhead speed. If you can combine these two, you'll kick a**.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:25 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig View Post
I would suggest for anyone wanting to learn this game to brush up on golf etiquette to help keep the game enjoyable. The only thing I hate is I have lost so much distance off the tee since I got into my 60's.

You should love this game. We have people playing our course who are in their late 80's so it is a game for a lifetime. oldtrig
+1 on learning golf etiquette, it doesn't seem to be as widely understood as it was decades ago. It's not difficult at all, don't hold up other groups (just let them play through), be quiet when others are hitting, furthest out hits first, know and follow the rules (even when no one is looking), know when to mark, and don't act like you're playing for the Masters title (move along quickly).

Watching my Dad's length wane was sad to watch. He resorted to longer and longer drivers and finally gave up the game altogether in his late 80's when he 'couldn't reach most par 4's in 2' anymore. But he got almost 90 enjoyable years out of the game, not many physical activities you can say that about...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:26 AM   #54
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
Read Ben Hogans Five Fundamentals of Golf. A friend who was in his 40s became single digit handicap in two years with just this instruction manual.
You start just gripping the club correctly for several months before you move on.
Hogan was a stickler for detail.
I love the game. Right now I'm at a four day USGA seminar on the Rules. Technical but beautiful.

It is an excellent book. I have about 7 or 8. That book is only available in paper and not Kindle. I have two books I bought used from Amazon that were only in Paperback and that was one. The other was Lessons from the Golf Greats by David Leadbetter. I got a few kindle books that talk about improving the game but those two books are just filled with anecdotes and tips from the greats in the game. Most of them are good for any golfer.

The game of golf is a fun game as long as you do not take it seriously. If you get wrapped up around the axle on the littlest thing and that will frustrate your game.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #55
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
+1 on learning golf etiquette, it doesn't seem to be as widely understood as it was decades ago. It's not difficult at all, don't hold up other groups (just let them play through), be quiet when others are hitting, furthest out hits first, know and follow the rules (even when no one is looking), know when to mark, and don't act like you're playing for the Masters title (move along quickly).

Watching my Dad's length wane was sad to watch. He resorted to longer and longer drivers and finally gave up the game altogether in his late 80's when he 'couldn't reach most par 4's in 2' anymore. But he got almost 90 enjoyable years out of the game, not many physical activities you can say that about...

No you are absolutely right. I just started playing in the last couple of years. My DW bought me a set of clubs in 2002 for my birthday and it took 2 years for me to use them. I ended up in Iraq in 2003 and got back in 2004. I had a physical problem with my shoulder when I came back and had to have surgery. It was a few years later that I really came to enjoy it as a game when I went on an outing with some friends for charity and found that even though I sucked at it I loved the game. I loved the challenge and it is the game that if you just play it for fun you will find that will keep you young as your dad felt when he played. I hope to be able to play well into my 80's and if alive 90's. Awesome and sad story. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:46 AM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
DH is lefthanded and learned to play righthanded as a preteen. Big mistake for him--30 years later he switched and immediately improved.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

My uncle was a scratch golfer, and now in his late 60's, has "slipped" to a 6 handicap. He always says:

"Most people take up and golf and then go spend $1500 or more on fancy clubs. Instead, they should buy a $500 set of clubs and spend the rest of that money on lessons"..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:55 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig View Post

I would suggest for anyone wanting to learn this game to brush up on golf etiquette to help keep the game enjoyable. The only thing I hate is I have lost so much distance off the tee since I got into my 60's. I am working on that now and hope by the summer I will be back hitting it 250 again. Right now I do good to hit it 210. On most days I still take the young people's money even though they out hit me sometimes 60 yards. They just keep trying, I know soon that will end but for now I am enjoying it. .
I agree 1000% on the etiquette thing. Most golfers have no idea about the basic rules of etiquette.........

All my golfing buddies tell me I should be an awesome golfer in my 60's, as will have to settle to 270 down the middle versus 310 God knows where...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #59
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
DH is lefthanded and learned to play righthanded as a preteen. Big mistake for him--30 years later he switched and immediately improved.
Thanks. I'm left handed and played a few times using borrowed or rented right handed clubs.
Since I'm a beginner, I of course can't tell whether I could play better with left handed ones. My shots are all over the park !
Old 02-26-2013, 06:07 AM   #60
gone traveling

Quote:
Thanks. I'm left handed and played a few times using borrowed or rented right handed clubs.
Since I'm a beginner, I of course can't tell whether I could play better with left handed ones. My shots are all over the park !
Here is something you could try. Many times and I haven't been to one but they have demonstration days where at a golf course club manufacturers bring out a bunch of clubs for people to try out. I also hear that they have sales on the clubs. You might find a great set to work with and at a good price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
My uncle was a scratch golfer, and now in his late 60's, has "slipped" to a 6 handicap. He always says:

"Most people take up and golf and then go spend $1500 or more on fancy clubs. Instead, they should buy a $500 set of clubs and spend the rest of that money on lessons"..........
Damn! I spent all of that money on clubs and it won't work?