Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-26-2013, 06:31 AM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags View Post

Thanks. I'm left handed and played a few times using borrowed or rented right handed clubs.
Since I'm a beginner, I of course can't tell whether I could play better with left handed ones. My shots are all over the park !
Definitely try both. In DH's case, golfing was the only thing he did righthanded and he was so awkward at the weight transfer and hip movement during the swing (he almost did those backward while his arms went forward)--just as I would be using lefthanded clubs.

OTOH I believe Phil Mickelson is righthanded at everything except golf, so go figure.

I agree that the OP should get lessons during his trip. And if you like it, keep them up when you go home. If you can find a community college golf PE class you'll learn the game, many of the rules, and the etiquette.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2013, 07:27 AM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wow! I never knew there are so many golfers in this forum until this thread. This is great! Fortunately both DH and I are keen golfers and that means we go on golfing holidays too. It's such a wonderful game - you can even play 18 holes by yourself if for some reason your friend can't make it to the game.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:34 AM   #63
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
Wow! I never knew there are so many golfers in this forum until this thread. This is great! Fortunately both DH and I are keen golfers and that means we go on golfing holidays too. It's such a wonderful game - you can even play 18 holes by yourself if for some reason your friend can't make it to the game.

I think it goes with the territory. Investing and retiring go hand in hand with golf.
GolfingDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:22 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Golf is the one 4 letter word I use frequently, unlike the worst ones, like W-O-R-K.

Reminds me of a saying:

"The worst day golfing is better than the best day working"

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:37 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

In my earlier years, when I played more and was better, I realize now the enjoyment of the game was derived from gambling. There wasn't a swing executed without some kind of bet on it. I moved to a new area and didn't play much for a few years, and now the people I play with don't gamble, so it has taken time to change. It definitely is more relaxing though.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:27 AM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
In my earlier years, when I played more and was better, I realize now the enjoyment of the game was derived from gambling. There wasn't a swing executed without some kind of bet on it. I moved to a new area and didn't play much for a few years, and now the people I play with don't gamble, so it has taken time to change. It definitely is more relaxing though.
Right the opposite here. The people I play with will not play unless we gamble. I have always been a good money manager and I apply these tactics when I play golf. I been tagged as someone who wants a lock.
I just cannot play unless something is on the line. I loose interest quick if I play for nothing. I have been gambling on the golf course for over 40 years and I keep it toned down. When I was in my 30's and drank beer sometimes it would get out of hand. I once lost $500 in 18 holes. That was in the late 70's. I got hustled by a golf pro. I learned a lesson of a lifetime that day. That $500 saved me a lot of money as I learned from it. I know the skill level of my game and the ones I play against. I only play people I know I can beat, or the ones about equal to me. I leave the scratch players along, even if they give me strokes. The better golfers always seem to win no matter how many strokes they give you. For some reason these younger players want to try me once in a while. Its really to easy and the sad part is they keep coming back for more. I still keep the money part low. To me now if I lost a lot on money it would just ruin my day, week and probably the entire year. I never gamble on anything other than golf. No way you are going to beat the gaming tables or slots. That does not even interest me now.
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I never could figure out how having a "lot" of money on the line could make the game more fun. In my golf group, the bet is always the same. Cost you $5 for the day. $1 for each nine, $1 for total and $2 for skins. Low net for each nine and then low net total. You can't win all three so low net total wins $1 per man, then $1 low net front nine and back. The winner of total can win one of the nines but not both nines. Skins are net also with no carry overs.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #68
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
I never could figure out how having a "lot" of money on the line could make the game more fun. In my golf group, the bet is always the same. Cost you $5 for the day. $1 for each nine, $1 for total and $2 for skins. Low net for each nine and then low net total. You can't win all three so low net total wins $1 per man, then $1 low net front nine and back. The winner of total can win one of the nines but not both nines. Skins are net also with no carry overs.

I like my skins with cheese and bacon
Old 02-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig

Right the opposite here. The people I play with will not play unless we gamble. I have always been a good money manager and I apply these tactics when I play golf. I been tagged as someone who wants a lock.
I just cannot play unless something is on the line. I loose interest quick if I play for nothing. I have been gambling on the golf course for over 40 years and I keep it toned down. When I was in my 30's and drank beer sometimes it would get out of hand. I once lost $500 in 18 holes. That was in the late 70's. I got hustled by a golf pro. I learned a lesson of a lifetime that day. That $500 saved me a lot of money as I learned from it. I know the skill level of my game and the ones I play against. I only play people I know I can beat, or the ones about equal to me. I leave the scratch players along, even if they give me strokes. The better golfers always seem to win no matter how many strokes they give you. For some reason these younger players want to try me once in a while. Its really to easy and the sad part is they keep coming back for more. I still keep the money part low. To me now if I lost a lot on money it would just ruin my day, week and probably the entire year. I never gamble on anything other than golf. No way you are going to beat the gaming tables or slots. That does not even interest me now.
You sound like a wise man, old trig. If you are going to bet, you might as well bet to win, right? I wasn't so smart back in my early 20s, as I bet more than I should have as a percentage of my income. But, when your living expenses were low, and no one to be accountable for but yourself, I could afford it. For 3 years I played at a course where 25 or so people would show up, and we would have side bets everywhere, and pressing games with the foursome you played with. I was middle of the pack talent, but young, hard headed, and hit just enough good shots to think I was better than I was. Sometimes I would win because we would get so much $ out there, they would crumble under the pressure, as the money amount didn't affect me. But, alas, I found a few people unfortunately, that the money pressure didn't affect them either, and those were the ones I was paying after 18! Getting my ego in check, helped my bankroll considerably.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:55 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The max you can lose in my group is $2. One dollar for each side. We are a pretty cheap bunch. But we are on a fixed income you know.

May try 9 holes later today. Been wet and cool here the last couple of weeks. I hate cart path only golf. Boy, I really have become soft in my old age.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:16 AM   #71
gone traveling

I am so damned jealous. I am at least 2 months away from being able to roam the links. Winter has a death grip on us up here in the North East. I am also at most 4 years from retirement, sooner if the army decides they have had me around long enough. I am 6 years from moving to a place where I can golf year round. Those of you that live in a climate that allows it are so lucky.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig View Post
I just cannot play unless something is on the line. I loose interest quick if I play for nothing.
+1

Quote:
I know the skill level of my game and the ones I play against. I only play people I know I can beat, or the ones about equal to me.
Where's the fun in that? I enjoy challenging better players, I work them on strokes. I keep a USGA handicap card, which I establish playing on a tough course near me from the black tees at 7100 yards........which keeps me around a 16 when I am really about an 11...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
+1
I keep a USGA handicap card, which I establish playing on a tough course near me from the black tees at 7100 yards........which keeps me around a 16 when I am really about an 11...........
Doesn't the slope and course rating from the black tees make up for that in arriving at your handicap index? It should.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfingDuo View Post
I am so damned jealous. I am at least 2 months away from being able to roam the links. Winter has a death grip on us up here in the North East. I am also at most 4 years from retirement, sooner if the army decides they have had me around long enough. I am 6 years from moving to a place where I can golf year round. Those of you that live in a climate that allows it are so lucky.
Although we can play year round, it is usually wet here in the winter. Right now we are 8" above normal rainfall YTD. So it can be nasty and cold when we do play. Better than nothing though.

I passed on golf today. Still too wet for me. But did take the mutt on a 5 mile walk at a local state park. And trimmed some shrubs around the house. So got my exercise.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #75
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Although we can play year round, it is usually wet here in the winter. Right now we are 8" above normal rainfall YTD. So it can be nasty and cold when we do play. Better than nothing though.

I passed on golf today. Still too wet for me. But did take the mutt on a 5 mile walk at a local state park. And trimmed some shrubs around the house. So got my exercise.
Yes I know that rain has been falling a lot that way. My sister lives in Hattiesburg. So far I am planning San Antonio and though it is not completely arid nor is it humid and wet I think it offers a lot.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:02 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
Doesn't the slope and course rating from the black tees make up for that in arriving at your handicap index? It should.
+1. Sure it does. Just like me playing from the gold tees every week, the slope andcourse rating keeps me on a level handicap with my buddies playing from the white tees. We have one guy that volunteered to enter all the scores every week into his computer program. He then sends out the weekly results and handicap changes.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #77

Quote:
+1. Sure it does. Just like me playing from the gold tees every week, the slope andcourse rating keeps me on a level handicap with my buddies playing from the white tees. We have one guy that volunteered to enter all the scores every week into his computer program. He then sends out the weekly results and handicap changes.
Don't you keep a handicap thru your State association? It doesn't cost very much,and helps support the good of the game.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #78
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
Don't you keep a handicap thru your State association? It doesn't cost very much,and helps support the good of the game.
Since I am just new to golf, there is an association that keeps that info? I have been using my iPod.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

This has been a really interesting thread, I keep up and am learning a lot. I don't contribute because I am too ignorant (statement of fact, not a self-insult) and don't want to make the discussion suck. Thanks for your advice and experience!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman
This has been a really interesting thread, I keep up and am learning a lot. I don't contribute because I am too ignorant (statement of fact, not a self-insult) and don't want to make the discussion suck. Thanks for your advice and experience!
If you want a little monthly taste of the "golfing world", and like to read a bit, I suggest getting a monthly subscription to Golf Digest. I think I pay about $10-12 a year for it. It also has monthly tips for beginners, articles of rules situations and interpretations, short game and swing tips and such. You may find it interesting and informative.