Learning to golf

The older guy never shouted or gestured, he just picked up my Dad's ball and slowly walked all the way back up the fairway about 280 yards to my Dad.

If someone in the group behind me hit a 280 yard shot from the fairway onto the green I was on I'd walk back to him and shake his hand.

Practice, practice, practice before going out on the course.
When you get to the point of having two over par on a hole, be considerate of others behind you; pick up the ball and move to the next tee.

Double bogey is a bit early to pick up IMO. It is very situational and depends on whether there is open space in front of you, how long the group behind has been dogging you, etc.

pb4uski said:
Double bogey is a bit early to pick up IMO. It is very situational and depends on whether there is open space in front of you, how long the group behind has been dogging you, etc.

I really don't have a problem with people being bad golfers because we all have to start somewhere. Not learning the basic elements of etiquette involving slow play does. Knowing to let people play through, ready golf, don't stand and chat on the green after putting out, doing your scorecard at the next box, paying attention to where your ball goes if it's hit in the rough,playing provisionals instead of driving back to re-tee, etc. Just doing those helps speed up play a lot. I might be a bit less patient because I live in an uncrowded area, and I am used to my golf course being that way. If I had to have a tee time, and wait on every shot, I don't think I would play the game. We play in a couple of local scramble cash tournaments a year, and they are 5 hour rounds. The competition is fun ( not counting sandbag Saturday ) but I couldn't play that way on a daily basis.

I think a better way is to find a 3 to 5 day golf school, especially for a newbie. I took one a number of years ago as an experienced golfer and it helped my game tremendously. For a newbie I think it would be even better in that you'll be starting from scratch (pun intended). Anyway, I had to unlearn some things.

They'll work with you on proper grip, alignment, stance, swing and tempo all in one fell swoop. You'll hit a gazillion balls over those few days as well as spending some time on the putting greens and the course. Well worth the effort to get a good start IMO.
This is an excellent suggestion. When I started playing about 15 years ago I began with 5 lessons from a local pro. He was fine, but I wasn't very happy with the result. I finally made real progress when I went to a 5 day golf school. It was four or five hours of instruction and practice a day, followed by playing some golf. I would not have worked that hard on my own, and getting to play with your fellow students in front of you, with you and behind you is really comfortable.

Coach

I don't mind slow golfers, I just sit in the cart, grab another beer and enjoy the show. By the way our course is BYOB it is much more relaxed that the fancy pants courses.

Very interesting reading. I have been playing golf for about 55 years, never touched a club until I was out of college. Just picked it up on my own and never took a lesson until it was too late. Really, it's never too late and I would recommend it to anyone taking up the game. A couple lessons to learn the basics and your good to go for the recreational golfer. If you want to take up the game seriously, spend the money and go to a golf school for a week. Fifteen years ago I got down a 9 handicap at one point and thought I was pretty good and then the game left me. Had I ever taken some serious lessons, I might have kept that handicap for awhile. Then age took over, surgeries came around and muscles deterioated and now I just want to get out once a week. The main reason I do it at all is to get together with my old golf group. The score doesn't make any difference (not quite true). It's the friends you make, getting out in the open air, seeing all the wildlife, laughing and cutting up, having a couple beers after the game and telling "lies". "The greatest game ever played". See the movie when you get a chance.

It's the friends you make, getting out in the open air, seeing all the wildlife, laughing and cutting up, having a couple beers after the game and telling "lies". "The greatest game ever played". See the movie when you get a chance.

That's the sort of thing I'm after, thanks. I have no illusions I'll be playing with the President! But I have to admit I'm a little intimidated by my total lack of knowledge. That's where these comments help. I have already contacted the golf club this afternoon to see what they offer. See? I'm learning to retire :)

A few other suggestions I would make is, as you improve, try to play with friends who are better than you. It will start to rub off, and you will learn a lot in terms of strategy and how to play for best odds of success. The other point I would emphasize, if you want to score well, practice your short game and putting a lot, as thats the area that separates the men from the boys:LOL:.

A few other suggestions I would make is, as you improve, try to play with friends who are better than you. It will start to rub off, and you will learn a lot in terms of strategy and how to play for best odds of success. The other point I would emphasize, if you want to score well, practice your short game and putting a lot, as thats the area that separates the men from the boys:LOL:.

Drive for show, putt for dough.

Well, I have no problem finding people that are better than me, because everybody's better than me! :LOL:

Your second point reminds me of a forward written by Herbie Hancock (who played with Miles Davis) in a book I have. Apparently, Herbie was having trouble, and Miles told him "don't play the butter notes". What he meant was don't play the obvious stuff: the root and fifth in a chord. Instead do the third and seventh.

When we moved to N. Carolina from MI last year, I joined my brother's golf club. I never really learned the game as a youth, and had not played for 25 plus years. I began taking lessons last year, and played a little. This year I will continue with lessons from the pro, and play at least twice a week, mostly with the "senior" group. I now qualify to join! I hope to become an acceptable player someday.:blush:

To steely and all here. I was waiting for someone to mention this. I just started here this morning and of course as my handle suggests I like golf. I haven't taken a lesson yet but plan on doing that some day. My wife is in need of it as well as she just started playing last summer with me. As DFW here suggests the short game is key. I read a book by a gentleman who gave his age in his mid 70s. His thoughts here were not to get too wrapped up in those long drives off the tee. He is absolutely right. Keep the hole in front of you. Straight is better. Think of each 18 hole golf course in terms of PAR. 18 holes are almost always set for 72 as par. Most amature golfers dont reach that and in fact a good majority of them hit 100. I tend to agree as I can break 100 most times now but in the beginning I know my games were closer to 110. His answer then was bogey golf. If you play bogey golf you will enjoy the game much better. His solution to attaining bogey golf is 2 putt. Always set yourself up for 2 putting. If you stay within bounds and get to the green on a par 3 in two hitting the ball towards the hole so that you are close enough for an automatic putt on your first putt you will bogey that hole. Do the same on a par 4 by getting to the green in three you can do the same. Hitting bogey golf is hitting 90. If you want to break 90 that would be an easy step. Just make the green in 1 on a par 3 or two in a par 4.

I know it simplifies it a lot but it makes sense. Get in the habbit of not over swinging. Over doing it will only result is fades and 2 shots from the trees or wherever if you find your ball. Avoid the traps and hazards as much as possible. If you must take a shot that puts you on the other side of the green instead of taking a chance you will end up in the drink or the bunker take it. Just keep the hole in front of you.

Steelyman, am real glad that you are taking up this sport. It is a game for life and can be played with friends or even alone. It also gets you out there, walking on green grass and breathing open air. I love this game. Do take some lessons with pros as it helps a lot to understand the game and play with improvements. Don't expect instant progress - practice practice practice but always enjoy the game - even though you are not hitting right that day. Don't feel pressured to buy lots of those new highly improved show stopper clubs - as a beginner, just start with clubs suitable for you now and move on from there as you improve. Someone once said the average golfer (like me - just average) does not improve stroke by stroke, improvement comes in plateaus. When you reach those plateaus, do enjoy being there instead of being impatient to go to the next level. Try not to hit anyone or animals on the green. I once hit a bird and until today, I feel so grateful that it can still fly.

Thank you, Moscyn, as well as the rest who offer advice. I find it funny that I have no problem "putting it out there" by playing and singing, but stuff like this makes me go "whoa!!!". But I went through the same thing when getting myself to the gym, and that is OK :)

Keep the hole in front of you. Straight is better.

Reminds me of the time I got paired with two younger, bigger guys in their 20s's (my golf partner had to cancel out at the last minute and the course was busy so they were pairing folks up). They were outhitting me off of the tee 60-70 yards but were ending up all over the place but the fairway. My drives were shorter but getting onto the fairway and I would get to the green about the same time or just after they were on. After around the 6th hole I apologized as I thought I was slowing them down, and one said "are you kidding? You're getting on the fairway! I wish we could do that!" That is when I started realizing that distance was less important than accuracy.

Reminds me of the time I got paired with two younger, bigger guys in their 20s's (my golf partner had to cancel out at the last minute and the course was busy so they were pairing folks up). They were outhitting me off of the tee 60-70 yards but were ending up all over the place but the fairway. My drives were shorter but getting onto the fairway and I would get to the green about the same time or just after they were on. After around the 6th hole I apologized as I thought I was slowing them down, and one said "are you kidding? You're getting on the fairway! I wish we could do that!" That is when I started realizing that distance was less important than accuracy.

Exactly my point and the point of the book I was reading. Anyone can hit the ball hard. Not everyone can control that swing. Another point that Jack Nicholas makes is your swing from tee to chip shot should be the same. That central arc and coiling of the body are the same using the #1 wood to the pitching wedge. The clubs are your distance marker. Once you know what your max distance is per club you can then adjust your swing for those in between distances. There are so many books on how to get more distance or accuracy. The real important part of the swing is comfort. If your swing is unnatural and uncomfortable you will not be consistent. Once you get consistency that is when the game becomes fun.

Exactly my point and the point of the book I was reading. Anyone can hit the ball hard. Not everyone can control that swing. Another point that Jack Nicholas makes is your swing from tee to chip shot should be the same.

I learned to golf back in the 70's from Nicklaus's book 'Golf My Way'. It was his philosophy, which he got from Jack Grout, that one should first learn to swing as fast as possible while maintaining balance, then learn to control the ball afterwards. Greg Norman also shared this philosophy (he learned to golf from Golf My Way), it seemed to serve them both well. Whether it's good advice for someone in retirement trying to learn to golf I'm not sure. Not everyone can swing fast, some of it is just the natural ability you're given.

Last edited:
I have been playing golf for 42 years. I got my handicap down to a 6 last summer but I will never see that again:facepalm:. It is now a :confused::facepalm: as winter golf does not like me. I play four times a week in a group of anywhere from 8 to 24.

We all play to our handicap. We put up $15 each round and then make up the teams. We play team and individual , also play skins on the par 3's. Some days there is $60 just in skins. I have won many times so I keep above water on this.

I started these groups before I retired so I could be sure I would have people to play with. I really look forward to these four days of golf, Wednesday and Friday at Noon and Sat and Sun at 9 am. Very rarely we miss these days because I live in the south. I just could never play by myself and I do not like to practice. I worked as a golf superintendent for many years so I just about seem every skill golfer there is.

I would suggest for anyone wanting to learn this game to brush up on golf etiquette:cool: to help keep the game enjoyable. The only thing I hate is I have lost so much distance off the tee since I got into my 60's. I am working on that now and hope by the summer I will be back hitting it 250 :nonono::nonono:again. Right now I do good to hit it 210. On most days I still take the young people's money even though they out hit me sometimes 60 yards. They just keep trying, I know soon that will end but for now I am enjoying it. :flowers:. ;);)

You should love this game. We have people playing our course who are in their late 80's so it is a game for a lifetime. oldtrig

Last edited:
There are many good golf books out there which deal with attiude/psych. versus mechanics. Check out Harvey Penick, Dr. Bob Rotella books. I find these books quite enjoyable to read.

I learned to golf back in the 70's from Nicklaus's book 'Golf My Way'. It was his philosophy, which he got from Jack Flick, that one should first learn to swing as fast as possible while maintaining balance, then learn to control the ball afterwards. Greg Norman also shared this philosophy (he learned to golf from Golf My Way), it seemed to serve them both well. Whether it's good advice for someone in retirement trying to learn to golf I'm not sure. Not everyone can swing fast, some of it is just the natural ability you're given.

Swing tempo is important and something I occasionally struggle with. It is amazing to me that they pros can take such a wicked swing, particularly off the tee, and still consistently make good contact. I would be all over the place if I swung that hard.

It amazes me sometimes when I'm making a lay up and swinging easy how far the ball goes compared to my regular tempo.

Swing tempo is important and something I occasionally struggle with. It is amazing to me that they pros can take such a wicked swing, particularly off the tee, and still consistently make good contact. I would be all over the place if I swung that hard.

It amazes me sometimes when I'm making a lay up and swinging easy how far the ball goes compared to my regular tempo.

How true for me - layup shots are my best shots. No pressure usually results in good/great results in golf. Maybe I need to start taking beta blockers.

golfnut said:
How true for me - layup shots are my best shots. No pressure usually results in good/great results in golf. Maybe I need to start taking beta blockers.

Yep, the space between my ears... I am about an 8 handicapper and my playing partner is a 2. So when we play straight up, I need some holes. But when we play 1 man scramble against each other, I usually play 4-6 under par, and we play straight up as that is all he can do. In stroke play I usually have a couple "blow up" holes. In scramble I play relaxed knowing I have 2 swings.

This thread has just about motivated me to go schedule another lesson...

I am not / have never been athletic in any way (other than walking a few miles at a fast clip). I have always wanted to play golf, so when I ER'd, I took the advice of some acquaintances and started with indoor lessons and range practice, then joined a ladies' golf group and went out to learn how to play a course. Great concept, except that my poor swing went pathetic after a couple of months and I have no lift/distance regardless of club. I played 9 holes with DS in January and hit only 2 decent shots the entire day (not including putts, which I actually do OK at, from many years of putt-putt). I know it's a mechanics issue with my downswing, but my previous instructor was unable to help correct it despite video, etc. It has been suggested I go to a female instructor, so maybe I'll give that a try. I really enjoy being out on the course, but not whacking the ball 50 yards at a time down the fairway (at least it goes straight!).

Read Ben Hogans Five Fundamentals of Golf. A friend who was in his 40s became single digit handicap in two years with just this instruction manual.
You start just gripping the club correctly for several months before you move on.
Hogan was a stickler for detail.
I love the game. Right now I'm at a four day USGA seminar on the Rules. Technical but beautiful.

Haven't taken up golf yet. Still trying to work out whether to buy left handed or right handed clubs:)

Back
Top Bottom