Leaving LinkedIn-did you?

I updated to "consulting" when I RE'd in January.

Think I will give it a year and then re-evaluate/delete it.

I've read this thread with interest. I am on LinkedIn and do use it to advertise some of my speaking engagements and publish some of my blog posts. I am there for a different reason. I am still consulting and it is a cheap (free) way to advertise my consulting services, albeit it in an indirect way.

With regard to publishing, LinkedIn allows me control over my content. I found over the years that many times the periodicals that peer-reviewed my content then turned around and sold my information for their benefit. I figured if I was going to give it away free, at least I wasn't going to inadvertently line someone else's pocket with my 'donated' efforts.

Nevertheless, I do find LinkedIn is quite the spammer. However, I have their emails auto-junked, so I don't know what is going on unless I peruse the junk folder or log in to LinkedIn.

I have been able to keep in touch with some colleagues and friends through LinkedIn messaging, but usually the conversations move over to email from that messaging.

When I retire-retire (who knows? I do like what I do in consulting and doing it 10-20% timewise would keep my mind occupied on something that interests me), I will probably retreat even more and possible delete LinkedIn.

Now, Facebook is another story - have an account - have not logged in in 5 years - will not log in and will probably delete it. Just too lazy to go through the bureaucratic rigmarole with them.

I consider it the "sanest" and "calmest" of the social media vehicles, so I am keeping mine. I have been able to connect my connections together several times for specific situations, and that has been appreciated. I also enjoy seeing what job offers I get (though unless they have VERY particularly parameters I would not be interested), some of those I have passed on to my contacts and it has helped them.

+1
It's interesting all the offers of jobs I get, so like you, I pass along the special ones to a friend that are hard to fill.

I have considered changing my status to retired, as private consultants are too in demand :LOL::LOL:

I have had an account for awhile. I am still working but, I just never have used the site.
Just another level of electronic distraction trying to shoehorn itself into my life.

The last straw .... an old girlfriend found me and started pinging me on LI.

Time to go ... LOL

Never finished the sign up many years ago. It looked like it was hijacking my e mail contacts, so I stopped, and never completed.

Linked in account

Sort of a weird topic, but for those who had an account on LinkedIn during your w**k years, once you retired did you close the account or maintain a presence?

I have been FIREd for 3 years now, but never removed my account. I feel like its the final step to "really" being retired. Almost like "maybe I will end up going back". Sounds silly I know, but I wonder if anyone experienced this?

I was thinking of just going fully private for a while. I think you can do this without actually deleting your account.

Suggest you download the archive, then purge everything but a brief blurb that you might be open to excellent part time opportunities. Winnow the connections down too. Then abandon it.

Put a reminder 5 years out on an online calendar to remind you to check up on your linked account. If you haven't touched it by then, burn it.

I kept it for a while to keep track of former co workers but eventually lost interest and cancelled my account
Same here. I'm five years into ER and didn't delete LI until about 3 1/2 years. The folks I want to keep in touch with, I do.

I found a long-lost friend on LinkedIn--someone I had once been very close to, but had not seen for 20 years after our careers separated us geographically. It turned out we had both searched for each other on the web, but as we both have pretty common names and aren't on FB and don't really have any friends in common, it was futile. Anyway, she somehow showed up in my distant connections. We live many miles apart but have now been getting together each year for family vacations! Worth every dime I ever spent on LinkedIn.

Still on there

I keep my account up to date. It's an easy way to keep up with many friends I don't see as often since retiring. I still consult a little and it also helps me contact people for that. I retired before my peers, so it's nice to stay in touch.

continuing. Receive mails from focus group only. Gives exposure for my post retirement gig.keeping it updated all times

LinkedIn

I’ve kept mine. Shifted to a consulting LLC and still list several volunteer positions.

It is an easy way for me to keep up with a 1000+ worldwide friends and acquaintances.

That said, it has changed from the original. Way too much like FB which I don’t use much.

Not retired and post once per day on Linkedin about similar topics:
#motivationalmondays
#tylertuesdays (positive stories/videos/etc of Tyler Trent, died 20 years old of cancer)
#wisdomwednesdays
#techthursdays
#freefridays (many more of these with FI)

In regards to your Linkedin question, it might be a good idea to remove your account but it is totally your choice. Linkedin is another form of connecting with business minded people. You might be "retired" but still do some kind of fun part-time work. An example: vlogger on YouTube (such as: Our Rich Journey and STR University), coaching people whatever you love doing (such as: Mr. Money Mustache, sports news, etc...), or post to Linkedin about your job of not having a job.

Enjoy your FI!!

Last edited:
I've been retired for 12 yrs but still have my basic acct. Just send all the LinkedIn messages to the Spam folder to avoid annoying LI spam. I have many younger friends who are still working, and it's an easy way to keep updated on where they work and what their job titles are.

I mostly use it to send them congrats on promotions or new jobs. Doesn't cost anything to keep the acct, and it comes in handy for my limited usage. I loathe Facebook so never follow anybody on it.

I tweaked the settings a couple times to reduce the noise but just didn't feel ready to kill it. Had more or less forgotten it until your post, hehe!

I was quite active with it during my career, really useful tool.

Still on, but changed title, employer, etc

On day 1 of ER I completely changed my Profile along the lines of “freethinking, happy soul, retired” while listing “Life 2.5” as the company. About once a month I get a consulting offer - all of which I’ve turned down with little thought. Keeping the profile simply so stay connected with contacts spread across 5 continents.

Changed mine to "Retired in Florida".

This thread reminded me that I needed to close my LinkedIn account - so I just did. Thanks!

Still Have But ...

Still have my LI account, but never update it or care about what is in it. Gives some former acquaintances a way to contact me if they choose, and I occasionally see something about someone that interests me.

John4512

I kept mine, probably just to feel relevant even though I would never want to go back to work again. For me, the final step to becoming officially retired was letting go of my AMEX card.

Had forgotten about linked-in. Hadn't benthere in many ,many yearsl.Sure enough when I checked, I was still there. Found , among the hundreds of link that had been added, that all of my kids had checked me out, as well as my college. Funny... when I went to the profile, to see what was posted, that the choice of "beginning work date" only went back to 1960. I guess that means I must be too old to w*rk. But then I wondered about politicians and CEO's.

This was a good reminder to close my account. I have been retired for three years, and if I ever go back to work, it won't be in the field I was in, so I would make a new one. Closed.

I have all their notices "rolled up" so it does not represent any added clicks to process them, same as many Twitter feeds.

Signed up years ago, rarely went on. I don't remember any of my sign on information, and just haven't taken the time to try to reconnect. Guess I could try again and change status to retired!

I've got close to 1,000 contacts on LI so I've kept it but changed my status to Retired.

Sort of a weird topic, but for those who had an account on LinkedIn during your w**k years, once you retired did you close the account or maintain a presence?

I have been FIREd for 3 years now, but never removed my account. I feel like its the final step to "really" being retired. Almost like "maybe I will end up going back". Sounds silly I know, but I wonder if anyone experienced this?

I FIREd in January and still have mine. I get occasional contacts from coworkers I considered true friends (thankfully, the fair-weather, fake friends don't bother). I will stay on it as long as I continue to enjoy the articles and business professionals' perspectives on the economy and politics.

Back
Top Bottom