Join Early Retirement Today

Lesson learned re: volunteering
Old 01-18-2015, 06:39 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Lesson learned re: volunteering

Back in November I was talked into being the secretary for our chartered pickleball club. 2 months in I SO wish I could take back my agreeing to do it.

It's a game so you'd think people's main motivation would be to play and have fun. Naive huh?

Every time I'm on the courts to play I get barraged with people complaining about one thing or another. I've just about had enough but I won't quit. But come November elections I'm running the other way fast as I can.

Glad to have learned this lesson before I retire but I can safely say I will never again serve on a board of any kind.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2015, 07:05 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You must be a sweet person Lisa... I know how people are. It's funny when you are direct and say "If you think you can do a better job, I will give it to you right now. And if you don't shut the hole under your nose because I don't want to hear it." Nice people don't say that, but I do...and the complaints stop!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 01-18-2015, 08:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
You must be a sweet person Lisa... I know how people are. It's funny when you are direct and say "If you think you can do a better job, I will give it to you right now. And if you don't shut the hole under your nose because I don't want to hear it." Nice people don't say that, but I do...and the complaints stop! .
wow, maybe I should try that! 😄
Old 01-18-2015, 09:49 PM   #4

Lisa - maybe that just wasn't the right board for you. There are a lot of nonprofit organizations that need good leadership so don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:58 PM   #5

Game = Competition = Complaining!
That said, Good of you to volunteer for this Lisa but perhaps not quite what you envisioned. There are, as MBAustin said..perhaps other places to volunteer that would be more rewarding! Good Luck!
Old 01-18-2015, 10:00 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

No organization too small or unimportant (not disparaging the pickleball club, but what's the worst thing that could happen if the club is not well "boarded") that some members can't find something to bitch or moan about.

If you like the position and the involvement as secretary, just ignore the bitching and moaning, Lisa--don't let them drag you down.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:18 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree with Mulligan. Volunteering is a lot different from a j*b. In a j*b one is paid good money to do one's best work and to diligently try to address everyone's complaints, pet peeves, etc.

In volunteering one has to assert one's personal boundaries or else risk getting trampled and abused.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 01-18-2015, 10:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnIntentionalRoad View Post
In volunteering one has to assert one's personal boundaries or else risk getting trampled and abused.
I like that comment... personal boundaries.

I'm used to the corporate world where I have a job and am paid well for it. I've been treating this volunteer position too much like a job. I'm done with doing that.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
wow, maybe I should try that! 😄
Lisa,
I have been a director on a social club for 5 years, all involved with Communications to members and prospective members. I occasionally get remarks from members about the content of a newsletter, or the quality of a newsletter. My response is similar, "You have good ideas, you should run for this position at the Annual Meeting. Let (the president) know you're interested." Usually, I never hear from that person again.

-- Rita
BTW, I am not running for re-election -- 5 years is long enough.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:03 PM   #10

Your first clue should have been the word pickle.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:37 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I am a board member of my condo association.

Complaints are rare, but there are "situations" that we really don't have the power to address. I would resign tomorrow, but I want to keep my eye on how the building is managed and maintained.

If I lived in a cheaper city, I would not have bought a condo but rather a ~10 unit apartment building that I would manage, or if I had had the money, perhaps an apartment in a very high quality building with full time professional management. But if your funds are limited, you make compromises.

My situation is not bad. If I were still renting it would now be getting pretty rich for me in my neighborhood. With interest rates that I can get of 1% or so, and annual rent increases of 6-9%, buying outright which is what I did gives a lot of room between my cost to own, and what I am giving up in money not invested. Also, for a retired person who is around a lot at various hours of the day, many apartments and condos will not be suitable. A common problem is they are too dark. Dark apartments or homes suck! So if you find what you like, and can afford it, it might be best to buy.

But I would never be on a board if I did not have a personal stake in outcomes. When my sons were still at home, I served on boards of organizations that were important in their lives, and I never regretted it.

Ha
Old 01-19-2015, 02:09 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I volunteered for awhile after I retired, but quickly realized that it (for me) was just an unpaid job. I told them that I didn't quit working because I was tired of people giving me money.

Now I just volunteer to do things I that really like and refuse to do anything I don't want to do.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:13 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah, I did a few years volunteering during my soft retirement. It only got worse over the years as it slowly became a bigger percentage of my scheduled w*rk time. Yeah, it became work. By the time I left, I was the most experienced and important one there. It's quiet a load off now, and now I truly feel retired.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:41 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

my strategy is to join everything and do nothing
Old 01-19-2015, 04:54 PM   #15

I was on the board three years and president one year for a radio control model airplane club with ~200-250 members - it varied year to year. That's when I found out that 90% of the work gets done by 10% of the membership.

For the most part it was okay with not much complaining. When there was I was in Mulligan's camp and the complaining stopped.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:05 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

My DH who has never been a quitter in his life, has been volunteering many many hours a month in our community since he retired. One of his 'jobs' is as editor of the monthly neighborhood newsletter. He included an article this month from a neighbor who asked for the neighborhood association to be more open and inclusive (a very common complaint in these parts).

Now the NA (it's not an HOA) want to oversee or limit what types of articles he publishes.

I told him, "Honey, if it's not fun any more, don't do it." Seems like he's going to resign from this position shortly. He's 72 years old. Life's too short for this nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-19-2015, 05:21 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I was on the board three years and president one year for a radio control model airplane club with ~200-250 members - it varied year to year. That's when I found out that 90% of the work gets done by 10% of the membership.
Absolutely true statement. Being a relative newcomer to a similar-sized car club, I volunteered to be the newsletter editor. That was over 5 years ago, sometimes I wish someone would complain so I could use the "if you think you could improve on it, why don't you volunteer..." line - but instead they keep telling me I'm doing a fantastic job.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:42 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

My husband has had similar complaints. Some volunteer positions are as annoying as jobs. He just does Meals on Wheels now.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:00 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I volunteered for awhile after I retired, but quickly realized that it (for me) was just an unpaid job. I told them that I didn't quit working because I was tired of people giving me money.

Now I just volunteer to do things I that really like and refuse to do anything I don't want to do.
I love your comment. With my retirement date quickly approaching seeming like it will take forever to get here, DW has been coming up with all the wonderful volunteer activities for me to get involved with. I've told her to let me plan my own life. When I ask her why she doesn't volunteer, she's too busy.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:12 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by iac1003 View Post
if it's not fun any more, don't do it
+1
I volunteered at a small military museum for over 5 yrs, because I found the particular subject matter very interesting & relevant to my previous military experience. I was w*rking also, and gave up one of the 2 free weekend days I had, every weekend.

Talk about the political intrigue and backbiting! It was as vicious and sometimes even worst than my office! Near the end it became such a chore to show up and listen to "who was the smartest" and "so & so is doing it all wrong" that it no longer was FUN. I finally said Buh-Bye.

I don't think I'll ever "volunteer" again; I might join an organization I'm interested in, or donate (not my time). I've been soured on the experience.

_B