Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-29-2008, 07:54 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats - I'm still 14 months out - shooting for May 31, 09

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2008, 08:31 AM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texarkandy View Post
Congrats - I'm still 14 months out - shooting for May 31, 09
CONGRATULATIONS to the new retirees like Lakedog, and those soon to retire like TeeRuh!!!

For me, and probably for Frank, it will be late 2009. I am more than ready for my day of freedom to arrive. Or, as Frank calls it, our AMF day (and if you don't know what that stands for, I won't tell you on this nice forum!)

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:17 AM   #23

I have no idea when my date is, largely because there are still too many variables involved. The main variable is my wife's employment status. She isn't working right now, so that tends to make the date farther into the future. If she found a decent job with decent benefits even at a mediocre income, it would go a LONG way toward letting me get there -- especially with the benefits part, since that's the scariest part to be without in our situation.

The other variable is that I don't know if I take the fast track (stick with my current job for X year and save like hell) or the slower track (get out of this job sooner, take another lower-paying gig I like better for something more than X years). I suspect I won't even start seriously considering the slower track until the first item I mentioned is addressed. Until then I really have no options...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:47 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Im having foot surgery May 22nd. Official retirement date is July 14. However I may not be returning after the surgery.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:34 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
CONGRATULATIONS to the new retirees like Lakedog, and those soon to retire like TeeRuh!!!

For me, and probably for Frank, it will be late 2009. I am more than ready for my day of freedom to arrive. Or, as Frank calls it, our AMF day (and if you don't know what that stands for, I won't tell you on this nice forum!)
Starts with Adiós don't it?

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 02:35 PM   #26
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Starts with Adiós don't it?
Yes. (blush)

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 11:05 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My friend...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 02:25 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Retired last June 1 and haven't stopped smiling yet!
Old 03-30-2008, 03:14 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

End of the year for me....December 25th! What a gift to give yourself. Most around me know already and I have to contain myself so as to not become a pain in the nether regions. I think the never ending smile really speaks for itself!! Congrats to all!!
Old 03-30-2008, 04:37 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mine is set, but not in stone just yet. I've got the plan and I am working it, but there are some variables that require some flexibility. Once I am down to 9 months out, I will set the date in stone. Only DW and my mom and dad know what the target date is. I did tell my sister once what I was planning and general timing (within a 12 month window) but she just brushed it off saying that there was no way I could do it...of course there are a lot of thing$ she does not know, either. About once a week or so, I check my spreadsheet to see how many days to my internal target. That seems to help keep me going.

R