Join Early Retirement Today
Old 12-15-2015, 09:56 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My work life included 25 years of long term international travel to some pretty cool places where our locals took it upon themselves to show me a good time.

Got to spend a lot of weekends and nights doing things I didn't even know existed or never thought I'd ever get to do. I got about 3-4 lives worth of bucket lists done as a result.

At this point, though relatively young (63) I'm pretty content to call the bucket list complete. Not much I care to do beyond my usual travel, beaches, skiing, boating etc. Nothing exotic at this point.

It does bother me a bit sometimes; worry about 'getting old' before my time but....

Living well is the best revenge!
Retired @ 52 in 2005
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2015, 01:41 PM   #22
DH has a bit of a bucket list problem, in that he gets a bit at short ends once he finishes up a big bucket list item. Good thing new stuff crops up fairly often, but the times in between can get a little maudlin while there's nothing in the hopper.

I have lots of things that I want to do "eventually", but none have risen to the top as a must-do in the immediate future. I think that is a function of working doldrums more than anything else.

“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:46 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.
We have been doing extended snowbird trips to knock off some of our bucket list items and to avoid our harsh winters.

So far it has been South Africa, Costa Rica, SE Asia several times, and Oz/NZ. The latter is back on our list for more travel. This winter will be our third year in Thailand but we are adding Cambodia and Vietnam. Travel is relatively inexpensive in these countries.

Our list for future extended snowbird trips includes South America, Mexico, Central America, and Oz/NZ.

We juggle our lists based on attractive currency ratios, good airfare, cost of travel as well as last minute travel deals-often cruise or resort offerings. We generally keep our plans open so that we can make changes on the fly.

I have Trans Siberian/China rail trip on my list but will have to do this alone as DW has given notice that she intends to pass on this one.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 12:12 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
When I was 29, I had a "before 30" list that included things like:
Travel all 7 continents;
Run a marathon;
Learn Spanish in foreign country;
Learn about wine;
Learn to play the sax;
Learn to sail;
Earn millions of dollars.

I made good attempts at most of the goals, and hit many at least temporarily, but many didn't stick for the long haul some 15 years later. Now my goals are fewer, but I tend to put more attention on the quality and doing things that will last a lifetime as opposed to things that will simply impress others at parties.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
RenoJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 12:28 PM   #25
My bucket list is mostly travel...
(Machu Pichu, Petras, etc). Some new stuff has been added as other items are checked off - but the big ones are still in the future... maybe when the kids are launched.

I prefer to set "goals" for myself. For example: Learn Italian, learn to make bread, to make a perfect pie crust from scratch with no shortening, etc.. I've done the cooking ones, still working on the Italian one.
Retired June 2014. No longer an enginerd - now I'm just a nerd.
rodi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 01:11 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
My bucket list began modestly about 30 years ago, long before the movie popularized the term. I've completed about 70 items, and there are still about 70 left. It was never meant to be a static list, and never will be, so I don't expect to ever "complete it" - unless I find out I'm terminal (somewhat like the movie). My goals may get less ambitious, but I expect there will always be more I want to do or experience...
No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 07:02 AM   #27
Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
My last stint as a CEO was an international company with subs in Malaysia and The Philippines. Regular trips every quarter. Saw many sites that would never have made my bucket list (including Brunei, Malacca and Bali). Plus flight stopovers in Fairbanks, Taipei and HK.
For the fun of it...Keith
kcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 02:10 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.
My DW and I are FI but RE -1.5 yrs. About 6 years ago when we became empty nested we worked up a travel bucket list. Our usual vacation was to visit my family's cottage at a Quebec lake or her family's bi-annual trip to Myrtle Beach. Beyond that, over 25+ years we had been to Britain a couple times, the UP of Michigan, Tuscon, Maui, Lake Tahoe, San Francisco, and Alaska, so we already had the travel bug. Since the list we have taken a major trip or two every year and have also been to Italy, Switzerland, Yellowstone and the Tetons, Kauai, Banff and Jasper, Crater Lake and elsewhere around Oregon, France, Colorado, and northern Arizona.

Going forward, the list is full for 10 years or so, but we keep adding. Still to come are an eastern Caribbean cruise, Norway fjordlands, Yosemite, England again, Florida & the Keys, southern Utah national parks, Glacier Nat. Park, Alaska again, Cascades and Olympia parks, Ireland, Southern British Columbia, Austria, Acadia, the Smokies, maybe New Zealand, etc.

If I had total dream for the list, it would be to fly in space.

From the 'done' list:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 970.jpg (798.9 KB, 10 views)
"The mountains are calling, and I must go." John Muir
DrRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 02:26 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets
No problem- I can't even find my bucket let alone my list
btdt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:00 PM   #30
I only had 2 very specific things that I wanted to do when we retired.

Go back and for at least 6 months live in the small market town in England that our children were born in and where we have so many good memories.

Spend 5 or 6 months in Australia and New Zealand. We have twice spent a month in Australia and loved it, and I really wanted to spend a lot more time there.

We've done both of those things now plus a lot more travel here in the USA and in Europe. (In 2013 we spent about 6 months visiting various countries in Europe).

Having spent 6 years in retirement our goals have now changed, and the only thing now on my new bucket list is to set up a permanent place in that town in England we love so much, and spend the summers over there and winters back in Texas. Travel will become much more normal with shorter trips in Europe and the USA.
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:01 PM   #31
Before I retired, I had a bucket list of things I wanted to do (mostly hobbies and some collectables) and places I wanted to visit, (mostly international). Got them all done to my satisfaction. The last thing on my pre retirement bucket list was to reach FIRE. That was the hardest to accomplish, on my terms.

I still pursue my hobbies (lifelong interest) but no specific bucket list post retirement. These days, I take it as it comes without any specific tasks to accomplish, timelines to go by, location to reach, etc. When I get ready to go someplace or do sometime, I just go and/or do it. Usually with very little planning or scheduling. Not traditional, but come to think of it, maybe that defines my post retirement bucket list. Reaching the freedom to do, whatever and whenever.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:15 PM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by marko View Post
At this point, though relatively young (63) I'm pretty content to call the bucket list complete.
If that's the case be sure you are always aware of where your bucket is - and be very careful you don't kick it.
Numbers is hard.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:19 PM   #33
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
be very careful you don't kick it.

Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote