Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-22-2009, 04:42 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Almost sounds like golf became a replacement for work? If you have a lot of other interests and you don't enjoy the game anymore, I'd walk away for a while, you can always come back later?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2009, 04:55 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Do you or can you still golf with any of your old playing partners? Maybe they can see something different in your swing.

Or maybe your swing requires a younger man's body and you have to overhaul it now, or get back in the shape and flexibility you had back then, if that's even possible.

I'd also get a full check up, maybe there actually is something physically wrong with you, and this is your early warning.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:40 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remediator View Post
I've been a lifelong golfer, and was a decent player for quite a while -- a 4-6 handicap while playing ~15 times a year during my 25 working years.

Since FIRE at 48 (four years ago) we joined a country club for the first time, and have access to three great golf courses, at least for the 7 month golf season here at 4000'. Have played about 50 times a year in the last four years. But I've completely lost my game. Now am about a 16 hc, and it is still going up. Lessons, fitness, practice, equipment, improved shortgame -- but just can't hit the ball anywhere near the fairway anymore, and basically haven't for three years.

For me, it just isn't any fun to shoot 95, and I'm thinking about quitting.

I've heard about this happening to other retirees -- that suddenly their games desert them, but I've never heard about what comes next. I'm not worried about finding other interesting and engaging things to do, I'm just wondering if that is my only choice. Accepting that I am a 16 hc, and that I won't regularly break 80 again is not a satisfying option.

Any advice from other golfers out there? Anybody go/know somebody that went through this upon FINALLY getting the opportunity to pursue their passion?

Very interesting post. I'm retiring in 2 months with plans to play golf frequently (3/wk or more). Was a 7 HCP in college, but have also escalated to 14 or so (due to strange yip problem with chipping).
Had plans to do like you when I retire - CC, lessons, practice, fitness.

I really feel for you - paralysis by analysis? Sorry to hear your story. Good luck. I did learn when I developed the yips, that golf shouldn't be such an important thing. I actually benefitted by taking it less seriously and applying myself to my profession more (and now I reap the benefits). I leared that I need other things in life.

But I still have plans to try to play alot starting day 1 of retirement 1 July 2009.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I always thought golf was supposed to be fun,hanging around with good friends ,nice green scenery of the course, the exercise,few brew at the club house after the game,unless you are playing for money the score really isnt that important,trying to chase some form you had when you were younger is going to become an ever increasing challenge as you get older,and probably curtail the fun factor to the point where you dont like the game any more.

Thats how I look at it. Never cared about my score unless my cousin and I have a friendly game for beer.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:19 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Thats how I look at it. Never cared about my score unless my cousin and I have a friendly game for beer.
I've been through all those phases myself. However, I am more serious than I used to be. I do about 5 golf outings a year where I do the fun thing. When I play for real, I enjoy the competition.

As per usual golf luck, there's ALWAYS 3 or 4 shots that make you think you are better than what you are..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:02 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I golf with some guys who have a beer PER HOLE.........
At least they are having fun! We drink while playing but not near that much.....really!

Golf for most of us will never be more than something we do for entertaiment/recreation. If one takes it too serious, then you lose the reason you went in the first place. Relax and enjoy. You will probably find yourself playing better than before!
Old 04-23-2009, 03:09 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
This is the real ticket when you find yourself picking your game apart, stroke by stroke, hole by hole.
Relaaaaaaxxxx...Don't keep score.
BTW, I used to golf before carpal tunnel took away yet another sport for me.
I played from the white tees, right along with the guys. I was usually the only gal in the group. LH always included me in his outings except his weekly men's league.
I never hit far, but hit straight as an arrow, right down the fairway. I rarely kept score except for the times I had to in a fun league.
The very last time I played, I actually nailed a very tough 3 par. I rarely pared any hole, long or short. That was really cool.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:59 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I golf with some guys who have a beer PER HOLE.........
He may be on a prescription.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:19 PM   #29

I used to shoot pretty consistently around 80 when I was working and loved the game. I have had two hole in ones, and with witnesses. The first year I retired I played four to five times a week and it almost became a grind like going to work. Although I have lost some distance and touch around the greens I can still break ninety but just don't have the desire for the game that I once had. Plus the old back just doesn't seem to cooperate as much either.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:12 AM   #30
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by oma View Post
Very interesting post. I'm retiring in 2 months with plans to play golf frequently (3/wk or more). Was a 7 HCP in college, but have also escalated to 14 or so (due to strange yip problem with chipping).
Had plans to do like you when I retire - CC, lessons, practice, fitness.

I really feel for you - paralysis by analysis? Sorry to hear your story. Good luck. I did learn when I developed the yips, that golf shouldn't be such an important thing. I actually benefitted by taking it less seriously and applying myself to my profession more (and now I reap the benefits). I leared that I need other things in life.

But I still have plans to try to play alot starting day 1 of retirement 1 July 2009.
Thanks to everybody for these replies -- I never expected so much help and insight! OMA and others have come closest to my current theory about the problem -- the yips (off the tee) from taking it a bit too seriously . But trying less hard has been a difficult thing for me to accomplish. Maybe I have to limit my intake of golf back to the once a month that I used to play, instead of the current 2-3x a week.

OMA -- a word of warning. A friend of mine says he would like to retire, but then he sees what it did to my golf game, and he puts that thought away .
Old 04-24-2009, 09:22 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

The most fun I have is doing golf outings. IF you can get the right group put together, it is a blast. I play 5-6 outings a year, most of them with the same group of guys and gals.

It is fun when all the pressure is NOT on you. EVERYONE has the ability to contribute. I am playing an annual outing on May 14th, here's our team:

Duane: Always down the middle, usually about 240 off the tee,average on everything else.
Kurt: Great short iron player, ok on chipping and putting Can't hit off the tee to save his life
Jack: Pretty good off the tee, a GREAT chipper and putter.
Me: Very long off the tee, can hit fairway woods and long irons well, suspect around the greens and chipping (lack of playing)

We all have fun and a few beers, and with these team we have won the event a couple times, and usually shoot 8 or 9 under. Our record is 12 under, on a day I had 4 natural birdies.......

Old 04-24-2009, 10:52 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Almost sounds like golf became a replacement for work? If you have a lot of other interests and you don't enjoy the game anymore, I'd walk away for a while, you can always come back later?
This is very true. My father, 72 yo, treats golf like work and became his replacement many years ago. His personality/mood is also very different when he golfs well vs poorly. As he gets older and loses his ability to play, it will take adjustment.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:55 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Hank Haney, Tiger's coach, has a problem with the yips off the tee. Very sad - he has to do various stuff to get over that malady. I always thougth chipping yips were bad, but if you can't even start the ball off well (with a decent drive), you're always going to score high. Putting yips have got to be the worst, though.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:01 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oma View Post
Hank Haney, Tiger's coach, has a problem with the yips off the tee. Very sad - he has to do various stuff to get over that malady. I always thougth chipping yips were bad, but if you can't even start the ball off well (with a decent drive), you're always going to score high. Putting yips have got to be the worst, though.
Yipping off the tee is common, I see it all the time. It is more of a mental than a physical problem in most cases. I used to yip off the tee myself, and then I read a Golf Digest article about the fact that golfers need a "swing trigger" to get things going. My swing trigger is right before I start my swing, I raise my chin slightly. I got that from a pro I got some lessons from several years ago. She said I was looking down too far, making it harder to keep my swing nice and compact. YMMV........

Old 04-24-2009, 03:09 PM   #35

Yips ain't **** compared to the shanks. God don't strike me down for even mentioning the word.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:23 PM   #36

Quote:
Yipping off the tee is common, I see it all the time.
The closest thing I've seen to a Yip off the tee is Charles Barkley's swing.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:49 PM   #37

Hey, if Charles Barkley can do it, anybody can. His swing was something you didn't want to watch. Happens to the best of golfers. How about Chip Beck. Couldn't hit the ball off the tee without a giant hook. Poor guy just lost it one day and that was the end of his career. Couldn't step up to the tee withour having a nervous breakdown. One of the saddest stories in golf. If you ever want to see how the game should be played, just go to any pro tournament. Those guys hit the ball so pure it's unbelieveable. Just the sound of the ball coming off the clubface is beautiful. I'm talking iron shots. Lot of big hitters with the driver but if you want to see a good golfer, watch the iron shots, especially the longer irons. Crisp!!
Old 04-26-2009, 05:30 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remediator View Post
OMA and others have come closest to my current theory about the problem -- the yips (off the tee) from taking it a bit too seriously . .
You still haven't told us what your shot pattern is. Some here seem to attribute a quick hook (duck hook) off the tee to yipping. IMO, that is not correct, in that it's not like yipping a putt, where you completely break down and close the putter face in the contact area due to nervousness. When you are making a full swing, this is fairly unlikely to happen, assuming you have a good swing to begin with (which you must have if you were a 4-6 handicapper). If you are hooking the ball as you play more often, the answer probably lies in your grip. Weaken it a bit (i.e., move the V's more toward your chin), and I guarantee the hook will disappear. A good golfer who plays once a week can probably get by with a fairly strong grip (V's pointing at right shoulder if a right-handed golfer), but as you play more often, you will probably have to weaken your grip a bit. Keep moving the V's toward the chin until the hook becomes a soft draw or even a power fade.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:10 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Here's a guy not ready to experience life after golf. A 92 year old man from my little town playing in a golf tournament this weekend. He was one heck of a golfer in his day. But still loves it. Owns a family business and still goes in a little each morning before heading to the golf course.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:59 AM   #40
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
You still haven't told us what your shot pattern is.
My new tee shot generally goes wide right. Hit squarely in the center of the club face, this shot, after adjustment for bounces off roofs/Buicks, can end up 100 yards off line. I often get two comments from playing partners: (1) I've never seen a shot hit there before; and (2) that swing just doesn't look that bad.

I mix in a duck hook just often enough to maintain confusion and remind myself that both sides are in play.

Somewhere between the photo here and impact, something goes horribly wrong, and I'm quite convinced the source of the problem is in the head, not the grip. None of the three golf pros I have worked with seem willing or able to go into that part, though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0106.jpg (661.0 KB, 4 views)