Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-27-2009, 11:08 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remediator View Post
My new tee shot generally goes wide right. Hit squarely in the center of the club face, this shot, after adjustment for bounces off roofs/Buicks, can end up 100 yards off line. I often get two comments from playing partners: (1) I've never seen a shot hit there before; and (2) that swing just doesn't look that bad.

I mix in a duck hook just often enough to maintain confusion and remind myself that both sides are in play.

Somewhere between the photo here and impact, something goes horribly wrong, and I'm quite convinced the source of the problem is in the head, not the grip. None of the three golf pros I have worked with seem willing or able to go into that part, though.
A pic from the side or video of your swing would be more helpful....... However, if you shot slices horribly, you probably are throwing the club at the ball on a severe outside in plane. I think the plane of your swing is the problem. Your setup looks good to my untrained eye. The downswing is where you have to "drop the club in the SLOT", and that's the difficult part. I can't tell for sure if yor club is across the plane at the top (too hard to see)

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2009, 03:45 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remediator View Post
Somewhere between the photo here and impact, something goes horribly wrong, and I'm quite convinced the source of the problem is in the head, not the grip. None of the three golf pros I have worked with seem willing or able to go into that part, though.
What happens when you hit your driver at the range, under no pressure? If you hit it well (and I'm guessing you do since the pros apparently saw no swing flaws during your lessons), that pretty much confirms that it's a "head-case", and you may need to see a sports psychologist (like a Bob Rotella) if you really want to get it "fixed". Oh, and be sure to bring your money-market fund checkbook with you.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:58 PM   #43
gone traveling

It sounds like you are equating your enjoyment of the game with winning, ie you are competitive by nature. Nothing wrong with that, it was probably a real positive when you were working. Maybe take a step back and decide that FIRE isn't about competition, you were supposed to leave that sh*t behind when you retired. Look at golf as a social event, a chance for a little exercise, camaraderie with the boys, and a beer or two at the end. You may find that if you relax and don't sweat the small stuff your game (or at least the enjoyment of it) will improve. As Yogi Berra would say, half of the game is 90% mental. Besides, if you quit golfing as your retirement pastime , what else are you going to do all day?
Old 04-27-2009, 10:51 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Might be time to tone down the swing into a 3/4 swing like Allen Doyle. Forget the full back swing.

Got a laugh about hitting roofs, Buicks. I feel your pain.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:47 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

don't keep score

I consider myself to be a pretty solid golfer. Never ever, kept score. I used to have a lot of corporate golf best ball tournament opportunitys, and just enjoyed hitting solid golf shots. I always enjoy my round.

I was actually thinking of getting a retirement j*b as a starter...
Old 04-29-2009, 12:07 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
Yeah, in Myrtle Beach.......

I get invited to a lot of golf outings because of my distance off the tee. I always have a good time......

Last week I got paired up with 3 folks in their 20's who liked to drink beer and play terrible golf. It was a blast, I shot a 41. Plus, they made me laugh the whole round. At the 19th hole, they bought me drinks, and invited me out again with them.........

Old 04-30-2009, 04:44 AM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you like to play a lot of golf getting a job on a golf course guarantees free golf .Starter,marshal or grounds keeping are worth a look at your local course.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:10 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah, but you have to commit to being at a certain place at a certain time - doesn't that defeat the whole purpose/freedom of retirement?

Nothing too steady.....
Old 04-30-2009, 02:10 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oma View Post
Yeah, but you have to commit to being at a certain place at a certain time - doesn't that defeat the whole purpose/freedom of retirement?

Nothing too steady.....
It might, but a fair number of us would LIKE to be TOLD to go to a GOLF COURSE everyday.......

One of my retired clients does this. He works from 6:30 am to 11:00am, then plays free golf and drinks a Manhattan in the afternoon, he doesn't seem very stressed at all..........

Old 05-01-2009, 09:32 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
It might, but a fair number of us would LIKE to be TOLD to go to a GOLF COURSE everyday.......

One of my retired clients does this. He works from 6:30 am to 11:00am, then plays free golf and drinks a Manhattan in the afternoon, he doesn't seem very stressed at all..........
sounds like a good deal to me
Old 05-02-2009, 06:01 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
That was my first job!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:33 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Hello fellow golfers,

Although not retirement related (about 40-something days until my FIRE), had to post that today I recorded my first ACE. A 170 yd, 4-hybrid shot witnessed by the Mayor of Koenigstein (they call him the Burgermeister - I'm here in the beautiful Oberpfalz region of Bavaria) and a fellow Army Officer (Dentist). Had to wait about 20 yrs of near misses, lip-outs, etc. to finally get my first Hole-In-One. Too bad there wasn't a Porsche, BMW, or other nice car to be won w/ this ace.

I did buy the guys a big German beer to celebrate.

Hope I don't have to wait another 20 yrs before the next one!
Old 05-17-2009, 09:56 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hello fellow golfers,

Although not retirement related (about 40-something days until my FIRE), had to post that today I recorded my first ACE. A 170 yd, 4-hybrid shot witnessed by the Mayor of Koenigstein (they call him the Burgermeister - I'm here in the beautiful Oberpfalz region of Bavaria) and a fellow Army Officer (Dentist). Had to wait about 20 yrs of near misses, lip-outs, etc. to finally get my first Hole-In-One. Too bad there wasn't a Porsche, BMW, or other nice car to be won w/ this ace.

Congrats! I waited 25 years for my second. But I know one old retiree that has 8 of them, and he was never a great golfer. Most came when he retired. So maybe we will rack up more as a retiree. Certainly a lot more opportunities for another. I made my 3rd just 2 months into my retirement. But two years later, I'm still waiting for the 4th.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:10 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Good going OMA! I'm still waiting and right now I am thinking the hole is pretty safe with the way I am hitting the ball.....but the season is young!
Old 05-17-2009, 11:16 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Hello fellow golfers,

Ausgezeichnet!

I don't have one yet, but as I'm about to start playing 2 or 3 times a week, I will remain ever hopeful.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:34 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Really never thought I was going to get one. Had a few hole outs from the fairways with full swings and I left a lot of shots near the hole on par 3s. It truly is a nice thing to experience - and have witnesses to boot. I play a lot of rounds alone (enjoy the solitidude) - thought my first ace would be while on one of those rounds.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:59 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

I've been playing golf for 30 years, and only have 5 near misses to boot. I have holed in for eagles on par 4's and par 5's countless times. I missed an albatross on a long par 5 once by 4 inches..........

Old 05-21-2009, 11:18 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I've been playing golf for 30 years, and only have 5 near misses to boot. I have holed in for eagles on par 4's and par 5's countless times. I missed an albatross on a long par 5 once by 4 inches..........
"eagles and countless times".....well I can count mine easily on one hand but I never expect to experience an albatross! What a thrill to even come that close! That stat is one that only a long ball hitter will ever see!
Old 05-26-2009, 11:21 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
"eagles and countless times".....well I can count mine easily on one hand but I never expect to experience an albatross! What a thrill to even come that close! That stat is one that only a long ball hitter will ever see!
I made a mistake, I meant a fair number of times...... I played a lot on a short executive par 3 with short par fours, like 260 yards. We would hit it near the green and try to make the chip. When you play 5 times a week for 4 years that's a lot of rounds.

Age is catching up to me. Every year I keep track to see how long of a par 5 I can get on in two. My personal record is 560 yards, a driver and a 3 wood on the green. My best last year was 530 yards. I suppose I can only go downhill from here......

I consider a LONG par 5 anything over 520 yards........ The near albatross was driver and 5 wood, all my playing partners thought it was going in because it rolled at the hole like a putt......

Old 05-27-2009, 08:57 AM   #60
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was a very competitive golfer in the late 80's, early 90's. Then kids came along and work got busy. I was not enjoying myself because I was not able to play at the same level and a friend brought up the point that if I wasn't having a good time, why don't I quit. So I did. Then the realization that ER was possible, but what was I going to do all day. So I started golfing again and I definatly have not improved after a 15yr layoff. But I am now having a great time just being out there with my friends. I use to play around scratch, now my index runs between 6-8. But I'm enjoying myself more.

Being out on the golf coarse with my friends, even playing poorly, is much better than being at work.

Keep at it and I'm sure you can work some of your swing problems out. It doesn't sound like you are off much. I know one of my problems is when I start thinking to much about my swing I start steering it. The swing plane may look OK, but I don't release the club.

good luck.